Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK v Canadian Credit Card When Travelling to US

UK v Canadian Credit Card When Travelling to US

Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Hombre27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK v Canadian Credit Card When Travelling to US

I am visiting the USA shortly and wondered if anyone had an opinion on which credit card would be best to use, my Canadian one, or my UK one and pay the bill in Sterling.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK v Canadian Credit Card When Travelling to US

The one in the currency with the best exchange rate against the USD?
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 12:02 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You you pay the bill in sterling, unquestionably the UK one. Otherwise you'll get hit twice with the FX rate.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Niloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura about

I use the Sears Mastercard (Canada).
It has no annual fee.
Has Rewards Points
and the best part....
It does not charge the additional 2.5% exchange USA to Canadian Dollar that other cards do. (except perhaps Amazon's)

We travel to the US a lot and find the exchange rate is always better using the Sears Mastercard. I've compared purchases made the same day to the rate charged by my other MasterCard and Visa.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 8:04 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

I use my UK Santander Zero card for purchases in Canada or any other country.

No fee
No currency transaction fees
You get the market rate, sometimes more
You can load it up and take out cash from a machine anywhere, with no charges or interest, as long as the account is in credit.

I would advise any expat to get hold of one of there cards, but you may have to apply for it before you leave the UK?

Regards

Drew
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 9:50 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Niloc
I use the Sears Mastercard (Canada).
It has no annual fee.
Has Rewards Points
and the best part....
It does not charge the additional 2.5% exchange USA to Canadian Dollar that other cards do. (except perhaps Amazon's)

We travel to the US a lot and find the exchange rate is always better using the Sears Mastercard. I've compared purchases made the same day to the rate charged by my other MasterCard and Visa.
This sounds too good to be true. My spidey senses tell me that what they lose on the 2.5% fee they make back on the exchange spread.

Can anyone confirm?
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Niloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura about

We were in the USA for 6 weeks.

These are a sample of the rates copied from my online statements that Sears MasterCard charged me.
I've added the numbers in brackets that are the Bank of Canada Noon rates.

Jan 19/2015 1.204631380 (1.1947)
Jan 28/2015 1.250275634 (1.2520)
Feb 06/2015 1.255674103 (1.2524)
Feb 16/2015 1.253540683 (1.2418)
Mar 03/2015 1.251333333 (1.2490)

My other MasterCards and Visa trial purchases were around 1.284 in February.

Niloc.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 12:21 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Niloc
<snip>

Niloc.
Hey, that's not too shabby at all... Sears, here I come!
Old Mar 24th 2015, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Hey Photoplex,

I was skeptical too until I applied and got the card last year.
Check Sears Financial Website.
Benefits
So far we are happy.
Let's hope Sears Canada does not fold!
The card is actually JP Morgan Chase Bank.

Cheers...Niloc.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Sears (Voyage) Mastercard.

I originally only applied for this for a laugh (thinking I would get refused as a TFW), but they gave me a decent credit limit!

I was sceptical about their exchange rate, but it's all good. They use the Mastercard forex rate.

The points give useful discounts at Sears too.

I think all the Chase-provided cards have zero forex fee (Amazon's is provided by Chase too).

Last edited by withabix; Mar 24th 2015 at 3:38 am.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 2:17 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it really just depends on which card has the best terms.

For ages we were using our MetroBank UK card when we went to the US as there was no fee for international transactions, and no load on the exchange rage. They changed that policy last year, though, so instead we opened up an Amazon Canada credit card, which doesn't charge fees or loads for US transactions, and we use that card when we go to the US. For cash withdrawals we still use the MetroBank card as the fees are lowest for ATMs.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about

Depends on the Card you are using and the benefits.

I could think of many reasons using a Canadian card in the Us would be better when you paying the Bill in £.

I know My Friend in Vancouver uses her Halifax clarity card over her Canadian card in Vancouver just because she gets a better deal that way even though she Earns In Canadian Dollars.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by withabix
I have the Sears (Voyage) Mastercard.

I originally only applied for this for a laugh (thinking I would get refused as a TFW), but they gave me a decent credit limit!

I was sceptical about their exchange rate, but it's all good. They use the Mastercard forex rate.

The points give useful discounts at Sears too.

I think all the Chase-provided cards have zero forex fee (Amazon's is provided by Chase too).
Seems to be most Chase cards I have an Amazon.CA No foreign commission charges no annual fee and 1% cash back 2% on Amazon CA purchases use it in USA and Europe save a fortune
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:55 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Seems to be most Chase cards I have an Amazon.CA No foreign commission charges no annual fee and 1% cash back 2% on Amazon CA purchases use it in USA and Europe save a fortune
Yep that's the one I posted about!
Old Mar 27th 2015, 8:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

And the answer is... get a USD credit card from your Canadian bank. Then there is no exchange rate. Get a USD account, deposit money in it when you like the exchange rate and use that to pay off the credit card. Preferably go back in time two years and do it, because it's too late now...

You can even get a US credit card if you can be bothered with the hassle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.