Reload this Page >

UK teacher qualifications in Canada

UK teacher qualifications in Canada

Old Aug 17th 2017, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

bethv is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile UK teacher qualifications in Canada

Hello,

I was just wondering if any teachers in the UK that had their PGCE and QTS were able to teach in Canada, more specifically Ontario. I'm thinking of moving back to the UK, and doing the PGCE there, but my husband to be wants to know that if he doesn't like living in the UK we can move back to Canada, possibly Ontario, and not have any issues.

I have phoned the Ontario College of Teachers and all they could tell me was that it is something they do on a case by case basis, which isn't much help.

Thanks, Beth
Old Aug 18th 2017, 7:04 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK teacher qualifications in Canada

https://www.oct.ca/becoming-a-teache...cated-teachers

.... is the link for internationally trained teachers and what you would need to do in order to become certified to teach in Ontario. There's an eligability assessment tool on there that should be of use too.

Hope that helps..

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 18th 2017 at 7:07 am.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

lmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond repute

The short answer is no, at least not without additional work. Prior to 2015 the answer would likely have been yes (though the two division/two subject aspect has always been an issue) but with the new enhanced program there is a requirement for 4 semesters of teacher education, greater specified content, and 80 days of practicum. With 2 semesters (the usual PGCE length) and at least 20 days you would get a certificate with conditions. You would have a period of time to complete the additional pieces to lift the conditions.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Thank you both so very much. We have decided that even if he doesn't like the UK, he will give it 5 years. Which should be time to do the extra work to lift the conditions. I have got onto a teacher training course here in Ontario, due to start next month, so I was thinking should we just wait the 2 years the move over, or move over now. That has helped towards my decision. Thank you!!
Old Aug 19th 2017, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

lmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bethv
Thank you both so very much. We have decided that even if he doesn't like the UK, he will give it 5 years. Which should be time to do the extra work to lift the conditions. I have got onto a teacher training course here in Ontario, due to start next month, so I was thinking should we just wait the 2 years the move over, or move over now. That has helped towards my decision. Thank you!!
Good luck. Where are you doing your teacher ed here?
Old Aug 19th 2017, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Thank you. I've got into Western in London, ON.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Good program. I might say York is better, but I am a little biased. I hope all goes well.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 6:43 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you have any ambition?
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Don't you have any ambition?
So with all your supposed expert knowledge of education why don't you do something useful and advise the OP of better Unis than Western, instead of issuing such a useless comment.