Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Playstation 3 - dual voltage?

UK Playstation 3 - dual voltage?

Old Aug 9th 2014, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

felixtrebor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Playstation 3 - dual voltage?

Just landed in Vancouver and have to get my priorities straight.

I brought my UK PS3 (2nd gen one, not the super slim one) 120gb over after reading that they are dual voltage on this very forum.

However, I didn't properly look at the box itself which says 220-240v on the underside sticker. Now, I plugged it through a US to UK plug converter on a 4-gang UK plug extension and turned it on for a minute and it seemed to boot to the PS3 dashboard fine. I haven't tried playing a game yet though and turned it off after a minute just to be safe.

I do intend to get a the proper US kettle lead to plug the thing straight into the mains but can anyone clarify if this is safe? Should I have already have hit problems with it booting up, or can it work for a while before burning smells and fires ensue? I'd rather not have to get a step-up/down converter and the Last of Us is begging me to play it.

I have searched the forum and wiki and have 'indications' it's ok but not 100% sure. The model number is CECH-2003A for reference.

Thanks,
Old Aug 9th 2014, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Playstation 3 - dual voltage?

I did a quick google and am finding mixed answers. But my gut says if you powered it up to the PS3 dashboard and got the warning logo about health safety all that bollocks then it should be fine. If it wasn't going to work or you fried it it would not have switched on at all.

If you want to be super safe you can get a step down converter for it but judging by what you said I don't think its required.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gozit
I did a quick google and am finding mixed answers. But my gut says if you powered it up to the PS3 dashboard and got the warning logo about health safety all that bollocks then it should be fine. If it wasn't going to work or you fried it it would not have switched on at all.

If you want to be super safe you can get a step down converter for it but judging by what you said I don't think its required.
My gut says it's OK too and, like you, a google search got mixed results. So if anyone HAS a PS3 and confirm this, that would be lovely.

I guess I'll have to go out an inspect the city until I know Last of Us is safe to play
Old Aug 9th 2014, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I have a PS3, but I bought it here
Old Aug 10th 2014, 3:54 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

I have a UK ps3 the fat one not the slim model and have been using for several months just with an adapter as have not got round to getting a Canadian power lead for it.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not taking my PS3, simply because the PS4 is cheaper over there than back in the UK by about 100 quid,which I've allowed for much to the wife's annoyance.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
I have a UK ps3 the fat one not the slim model and have been using for several months just with an adapter as have not got round to getting a Canadian power lead for it.
Is that the old school monster sized one or the inbetween one that just says PS3 on top? (as in this one: http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/...50w620/ps3.gif)

You couldn't do me a favour and check the model number and voltage on the underside could you?

Cheers,
Old Aug 10th 2014, 4:56 pm

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

It's the old school big one
Old Aug 10th 2014, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

If the voltage was really too low, it shouldn't have booted up. So I'd expect you'll be fine with just a new power lead.

The real risk is taking a 110V device and plugging it into 220/240V, since that can easily put twice the expected voltage into the system.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thought I'd just update this thread in case anyone else searches in the future.

My PS3 - CECH-2003A - which says on the sticker that voltage is 240v does work in Canada so far without issue. Probably had 3-4 hours' use so far. Plugged into mains using a UK plug into adapter but nothing else.

Cheers all for those who contributed to the thread.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by felixtrebor
Thought I'd just update this thread in case anyone else searches in the future.

My PS3 - CECH-2003A - which says on the sticker that voltage is 240v does work in Canada so far without issue. Probably had 3-4 hours' use so far. Plugged into mains using a UK plug into adapter but nothing else.

Cheers all for those who contributed to the thread.
Good to hear it's working for you, when I have cash I'm considering upgrading to the PS4