Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Application

UK Passport Application

Old Jan 17th 2016, 11:30 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport Application

UK birth certificates actually vary widely depending on the country they were issued in and the date they were issued. The terminology also confuses, long, short, 'certified copy'. Here are some examples:

English "Certificate of Birth" (short birth certificate)

English "Certified Copy of an Entry in the Register of Births" (current long birth certificate)

English "Certified Copy of an Entry in the Register of Births" (previous long birth certificate. NB: mother's occupation not listed)

English "Certified Copy of an Entry in the Register of Births" (old style long birth certificate)

Last edited by BritInParis; Jan 17th 2016 at 11:43 am. Reason: Fixed oversized images
Old Jan 17th 2016, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
UK birth certificates actually vary widely depending on the country they were issued in and the date they were issued. The terminology also confuses, long, short, 'certified copy'. Here are some examples:

English "Certified Copy of an Entry in the Register of Births" (old style long birth certificate)
http://u3asites.org.uk/files/e/epping/fhg2.jpg
Thanks...mine (1964 birth) looks like the last one you provided. My fathers signature has evolved quite a bit since then as well.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a short form one similar to the first and a long form certified copy one like the last one.

S
Old Jan 18th 2016, 1:59 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance you could post one for a male a bit closer to my age so I can apply for spare passport? You never know if it might come in handy.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 7:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Any chance you could post one for a male a bit closer to my age so I can apply for spare passport? You never know if it might come in handy.
'Day of the Jackal' style you mean? You'll be surprised what people will scan and put online!
Old Jan 18th 2016, 2:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

'Day of the Jackal' style you mean?
Exactly.

Minor irritation on my passport.

Phone call this morning. Recorded voice.

My usual instinct is to put the phone down as it's usually advertising or scammer so I was immediately dismissive.

But then I heard a number being quoted. No warning just straight into this number that I hadn't been expecting.

There was no offered opportunity to hear the number again as there is with menu choices.

So now I know (assume) the passport is somewhere but I can't do anything about it.

I'm sure there will be an attempted delivery or, at least, a further contact. But how inefficient (and annoying) is that?

What's wrong with "we have a package for you. Have pen and paper ready as we will give you a tracking number which you will need." Then they tell you what to do with the number - website address etc - and then, when you're ready, give it.

I'm in the dark now and that's with me answering the call, immediately thinking "passport". Imagine if a child or someone else answers.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 7:01 pm

Exactly.

Minor irritation on my passport.

Phone call this morning. Recorded voice.

My usual instinct is to put the phone down as it's usually advertising or scammer so I was immediately dismissive.

But then I heard a number being quoted. No warning just straight into this number that I hadn't been expecting.

There was no offered opportunity to hear the number again as there is with menu choices.

So now I know (assume) the passport is somewhere but I can't do anything about it.

I'm sure there will be an attempted delivery or, at least, a further contact. But how inefficient (and annoying) is that?

What's wrong with "we have a package for you. Have pen and paper ready as we will give you a tracking number which you will need." Then they tell you what to do with the number - website address etc - and then, when you're ready, give it.

I'm in the dark now and that's with me answering the call, immediately thinking "passport". Imagine if a child or someone else answers.
Cameron's Britain, innit. Spare a thought for all the OAPs living in Spain and France.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 11:12 pm
Oscar nominated

Cameron's Britain, innit. Spare a thought for all the OAPs living in Spain and France.
I'd love to blame Cameron but I'm in Canada and it's the Canadian courier doing this.

It was easier and more efficient when it was Canada Post last time.

Perhaps the UK gov should have used ordinary mail but registered as I did in sending it. It worked and I tracked it, unlike this.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 6:22 am

I'd love to blame Cameron but I'm in Canada and it's the Canadian courier doing this.

It was easier and more efficient when it was Canada Post last time.

Perhaps the UK gov should have used ordinary mail but registered as I did in sending it. It worked and I tracked it, unlike this.
It's certainly a consequence of posting passports all over the world as the previous system of issuing passports via consulates was supposedly 'insecure', i.e. expensive.

If you called HMPO hopefully they should have a record of the tracking number if you didn't catch it.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 12:51 pm
Oscar nominated

If you called HMPO hopefully they should have a record of the tracking number if you didn't catch it.
In yesterday's call I didn't catch the number but the call said I could use the number on line to arrange delivery.

Today's call was answered by my stepson (I warned him it might happen) and he got the number.

But it simply says the package is in Ontario with expected delivery by tomorrow and absolutely no means of doing anything else.

It's not a problem and maybe once tomorrow has passed there might then be an option if it's not been delivered.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Emails received from HM Passport Office for the two youngest children - it looks like the photos are considered too light and have to be redone. Also, they want the declaration on appearance completing for the middle child who is in reality completely recognisable from the existing passport.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by jimf
Emails received from HM Passport Office for the two youngest children - it looks like the photos are considered too light and have to be redone. Also, they want the declaration on appearance completing for the middle child who is in reality completely recognisable from the existing passport.
I can be the luck of the draw in terms of how particular your passport examiner is. I renewed my passport using the fast track service at Globe House the year before last during the huge backlog and despite my current photo looking nothing like my previous (and rather terrible) photo as a spotty student I had my passport back within four days despite having not completed the identity declaration.