Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK for Ontario driver's license, 2 year minimum

UK for Ontario driver's license, 2 year minimum

Old May 20th 2015, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Ling_Noi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK for Ontario driver's license, 2 year minimum

I'm aware that I can swap my UK driver's license for a Canadian one provided that you've had it for 2 years.

I've had mine for 20 months and would prefer not do my test again, can I just sit on my license for 4 months and swap it for a Canadian one?

Last edited by Ling_Noi; May 20th 2015 at 10:08 pm.
Old May 20th 2015, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK for Ontario driver's license, 2 year minimum

UK is only good for 60 days here or at least it was in 05 when i got here, and that was in Manitoba
Old May 20th 2015, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

I don't actual need it until later.

Also I forgot to mention that I've had the license for 11 years as provisional.
Old May 20th 2015, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

An acquaintance of mine here in Calgary exchanged her full <2yr UK license for an AB Class 5 with GDL

I dunno what the system is in ON, but you might find you'll still get a full (i think ON is Class-G) license, but it will have GDL restrictions on it
Old May 21st 2015, 12:19 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

I came to Canada when you had no choice but to take the final 'G' driving test as there was no straight swap then. Believe me, a learning-impaired monkey could pass the test, so I wouldn't worry about that if you need to take it.
When I see the state of the drivers here, I doubt the driving test is any more difficult than previously.
Sign up for a handful of lessons with a driving school if you want. Just to get the feel of the roads and know what's on the test. That's it.
Old May 21st 2015, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
I came to Canada when you had no choice but to take the final 'G' driving test as there was no straight swap then. Believe me, a learning-impaired monkey could pass the test, so I wouldn't worry about that if you need to take it.
When I see the state of the drivers here, I doubt the driving test is any more difficult than previously.
Sign up for a handful of lessons with a driving school if you want. Just to get the feel of the roads and know what's on the test. That's it.
The test itself is very easy or so a dutch friend told me, the hardest thing is being on the wrong side of everything and looking the correct way at junctions etc so you dont pull out on someone, Even the truck licence is easy but same thing looking the correct way as years of looking the other way at junctions takes time to change. Cars are auto so no worries about shifting with the wrong hand either, Shouldn't be difficult to pass
Old May 21st 2015, 3:24 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
Believe me, a learning-impaired monkey could pass the test. - When I see the state of the drivers here, I doubt the driving test is any more difficult than previously.
This explains a great deal.

I don't know what it is like in cities, where there is more traffic and they are built up, but it is truly like vaguely aiming the car in the direction you are heading here. Other than avoiding potholes, I just basically 'point' the car....

Which doesn't answer the OP at all....sorry
Old May 22nd 2015, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
UK is only good for 60 days here or at least it was in 05 when i got here, and that was in Manitoba

I was under the impression you could 'swap' your UK licence?...
Old May 22nd 2015, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
I was under the impression you could 'swap' your UK licence?...
You can, but you don't get a full license unless you've held it for more than 2 years, which OP hasn't
Old May 23rd 2015, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by haggis88
You can, but you don't get a full license unless you've held it for more than 2 years, which OP hasn't
Correct.

Back to the question then...can I just wait until September and then trade it in? Will they ask how long I've been in Canada and therefore thwart my plan to skip the test?
Old May 23rd 2015, 3:20 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi
I'm aware that I can swap my UK driver's license for a Canadian one provided that you've had it for 2 years.

I've had mine for 20 months and would prefer not do my test again, can I just sit on my license for 4 months and swap it for a Canadian one?
You could probably just wait.
Old May 23rd 2015, 3:31 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi
Correct.

Back to the question then...can I just wait until September and then trade it in? Will they ask how long I've been in Canada and therefore thwart my plan to skip the test?
They might do, up to then it is only speculation. You'll only find out when you try in September.