Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Change mobile no after moving to new province

Change mobile no after moving to new province

Old Jan 3rd 2024, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

pac_les_man is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Change mobile no after moving to new province

so, I found out we could be saving on tax by changing to new mobile numbers. but if you're in the middle of express entry application and similar things, is it worth the trouble? while it would be nice to have a clean and avoid a bunch of sales calls everyday on the old number, I am afraid I might not remember all the important places to update the number.
Any advice if you've gone through this before?
Old Jan 8th 2024, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change mobile no after moving to new province

Originally Posted by pac_les_man
so, I found out we could be saving on tax by changing to new mobile numbers. but if you're in the middle of express entry application and similar things, is it worth the trouble? while it would be nice to have a clean and avoid a bunch of sales calls everyday on the old number, I am afraid I might not remember all the important places to update the number.
Any advice if you've gone through this before?
It may not be helpful to you but I recently moved from ON to AB and want to ditch my old 613... area code number. I have a VOIP landline using voip.ms so I ported my 613 number to be an additional voip number which costs me about $1.25 month. Once the 613 was ported I bought a sim card with my AB area code. The voip account still allows any calls or texts to be forwarded to another number. After four or five months I plan to ditch the 613 number as by then tax season is past and my doc and dentist will have been visited and notified of new number. Of course it can cost $75 or more to set up a voip account if you do not already have one.
Old Feb 21st 2024, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

albion_exile is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Change mobile no after moving to new province

Originally Posted by Kingsboy48
Of course it can cost $75 or more to set up a voip account if you do not already have one.
Voip.ms requires a USD$15 credit to set up. (unused credited funds refundable for 90 days). DIDs are ~US$0.85/month, transferring in a phone number was free, forwarding to another Canadian number <US$0.02 (DID fee + termination fee for outgoing call). So this setup is very cheap.

Just don't use voip.ms for any outgoing calls to the UK.
They haven't bothered to comply with the UK legislation, so they currently have to charge USD$0.46/min. for calls to landlines. (I use localphone.com for outgoing UK calls).