Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

From UK to Nova Scotia - Any one???

From UK to Nova Scotia - Any one???

Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:46 am
Just Joined

kath-epona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From UK to Nova Scotia - Any one???

Hi everyone,

I am enthralled and excited by the thought of moving to Nova Scotia! Proabably around Digby area/Annapolis Valley. Is there anyone on here who has done this already and can offer any advice?

Are you pleased you made the move?
Whats the first thing we should be doing to get the ball rolling?

many thanks kath xx
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:20 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From UK to Nova Scotia - Any one???

HI, there are loads of helpful people on here who have made the move, who should be along soon.
We are hoping to be there early next year as we are in the process....

You really need to go there, that to me would be something to start arranging. A recce is invaluable, if you do not have an occupation on the "in demand list" - see wiki, then you could maybe use the Community Identified route, in which case you need to make contacts. This BE site is a great place to start for that, followed by your recce.

Its a beautiful place, with a wonderful pace of life.
Good luck and feel free to PM me if you wish, I can only tell you of our experiences so far.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Sure someone much more cleverer than me will have a wealth of information, tips and hints to help you. Can I just point out you dont mention how you plan on coming over PNP etc? and also what employment you are in or intend to be in. All this sort of info might just make a connection with someone on here who can give you more help etc
Good luck!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice

Hello Kath, our family have been in NS for 2.5 years now and were just about settled in, as previous posters have mentioned it will help if you tell us a little more about what your looking for, what employment options are for you, and family commitments etc. NS has something for everyone but its not all available in the same place. Start the ball rolling by checking out the Wiki on this site its very helpfull, decide which route you are going to apply through, the process can be a long one so get your timelines set, preferably include a recce trip into those times. Avoid a winter Recce, Autumn is possibly the best time of year to visit. Other things to do:
1. Ask loads of questions
2. Make a list of wants
3. Use the MLS website in conjunction with Google Earth to get an idea of house area prices by post code.
4. Network with other BEs for jobs, living expenses, advice, etc
5. Get a second opinion, people on here usually have the best of intentions with advice, but we are all individuals with different perspectives on ways to do things.
6. check out UK2Novascotia.com
7. PM me if you want to telephone and chat (with me or my wife) it is often a good way to break the ice.
8. The area you end up living in is often dictated by work, this is probably the first thing to sort out.
9. Go out and get a big bag of enthusiasm, get a jumbo bag of resolve, then get a years supply of gritting your teeth patience, the wheels of emmigration are often slow
10. NS is a wonderfull place, and is worth the effort, good luck with your journey.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

Hi Kath, me and my motley crew moved over almost 3 years ago now - would be happy to help in anyway I can, email me if you want to touch base
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement!

I did add another post about what we hope to do. We are thinking about the holiday let, (summer) and student let, (winter).
I work with horses, as an equine massage therapist and also as an equine behaviourist. (Basically helping horses that have owners with problems LOL).

Other half is a chiropractor and reiki energy healer. Would probably offer retreat style breaks incorporating his energy healing.

Even horse holidays for people to bring their horse on holiday too!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kath-epona
Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement!

I did add another post about what we hope to do. We are thinking about the holiday let, (summer) and student let, (winter).
I work with horses, as an equine massage therapist and also as an equine behaviourist. (Basically helping horses that have owners with problems LOL).

Other half is a chiropractor and reiki energy healer. Would probably offer retreat style breaks incorporating his energy healing.

Even horse holidays for people to bring their horse on holiday too!
So investor route then basically if you intend to open your own business.

First stop would be the Federal (CIC) and Provincial immigration sites to looks at the requirements. Genarally a wodge of cash and a good business plan are necessary. There might be something in the wiki too to help, but this is a route less travelled than the usual skilled worker or spousal sponsorship. Not too many horse therapists make the leap I guess.

Good Luck. Come for a visit first if you haven't been over. Preferably in the winter when its not all lovely and touristy.

http://novascotiaimmigration.com/nov...ominee-program
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ness/index.asp
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Busine...Program-Canada

Last edited by iaink; Aug 31st 2010 at 8:37 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

doesn't have to be the investor route, you can do this through CI if you don't meet the investor criteria (need quite a bit of cash for that route I think? Could be wrong though!)
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

CI? 'scuse my ignorance of things nova scotian.

EDIT..never mind, community identified?

BUt the website says you need (among other things):
• long established connections in the specific community which provided the Letter of Identification
• be employable i.e. have skills, training and work experience for future employment in a field or sector required by that community

Dont know about the first, and horse massage and reiki healing may not be what they had in mind?

Last edited by iaink; Aug 31st 2010 at 9:26 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
CI? 'scuse my ignorance of things nova scotian.

EDIT..never mind, community identified?
sorry, I realised after I posted it that I had done the very thing that I really didn't like people doing when I was a newbie on the board, which is use abbreviations! Apologies, I should have said community identified.

Originally Posted by iaink
Dont know about the first, and horse massage and reiki healing may not be what they had in mind?
That's true, but might also be dependent on which area they choose and how they come across to the Regional Development Agency person they speak to. And if they have a good business plan. I admit it's not going to sound as good as some other business prospects, but from my experience they do seem to like people with business plans....
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

I came to Digby Annapolis area you would have absolutely no prob getting in here so long as health and crim ok.
I came Community Identified. I just had a go for it attitude and it worked I have penned many posts on my story

I have been here almost 3 years and know the area very well now.

Good luck
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sumner5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chumley
I came to Digby Annapolis area you would have absolutely no prob getting in here so long as health and crim ok.
I came Community Identified. I just had a go for it attitude and it worked I have penned many posts on my story

I have been here almost 3 years and know the area very well now.

Good luck
Hi Not sure if you are a FaceBook user but one of our fellow BEs in Nova Scotia on FB has stables etc and may be able to put you in touch with people within the 'field' (no pun intended ). Look him up...his name is James Wootton.

We moved over about a month ago and are LOVING it...keep the questions coming.

All the best.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Al the Agent is just really niceAl the Agent is just really niceAl the Agent is just really niceAl the Agent is just really niceAl the Agent is just really niceAl the Agent is just really niceAl the Agent is just really niceAl the Agent is just really nice

Hi Kath,

There are a few Horse communities close to Halifax that I know of, one in the Windsor area and one in the Elmsdale area. My brother is in the process of building an indoor riding ring near Windsor. If you have any questions regarding this, send me a message and I can put you in touch with him if you'd like. I also have friends in NB who are involved with reiki if your hubby would like to ask them questions, I'm sure they be happy to chat with him.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

rufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nice

Hi
Can't add much more than what has been said, but research is key. we did a lot of research before applying.

We move to Nova Scotia in 6 weeks. It is a beautiful place and I can't wait to get there but as mentioned above, the immigration process can be frustrating especially when you are waiting for the nod from Canadian High Commission (if that's the route you choose).

PM me if you want to know anything. I'm no expert but I can offer my opinion

Helen
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rufus2000
Hi
Can't add much more than what has been said, but research is key. we did a lot of research before applying.

We move to Nova Scotia in 6 weeks. It is a beautiful place and I can't wait to get there but as mentioned above, the immigration process can be frustrating especially when you are waiting for the nod from Canadian High Commission (if that's the route you choose).

PM me if you want to know anything. I'm no expert but I can offer my opinion

Helen
Do you have to apply before going to Nova Scotia. I have in my mind go for six monthes and see how we get on... do we start the process before or can you go and then start it?? Very sorry if I'm coming accross as a bit thick.. I'm not really just very new to all this....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.