Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

uk national insurance no.

uk national insurance no.

Old Dec 17th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Default uk national insurance no.

we received my daughters canadian insurance no today,,,, q is how would we go about getting a uk no. for my daughter..
info.... we are uk citizens born an bred.
in canada as residents now.
daughter is under 16.
nb. daughter needed canadian insurance no. to work pt at nursery.after school.,and the lack of a uk ni no. just occured to me..
james...
Old Dec 17th 2010, 9:48 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk national insurance no.

Would it not only apply to UK residents the same way canadian SIN applies only to canadian residents?

My guess is she can only get one if she moves to the UK and applies for one.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 10:16 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of this. If you live in the UK and you or her guardian are obtaining child benefit, then she would automatically be sent an NIN before her 16th Birthday. The page also explains why you'd need one, and from reading it, if she is a resident in canada then she doesn't need one, and won't be able to get one anyway.

Last edited by sharkus; Dec 17th 2010 at 10:20 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
we received my daughters canadian insurance no today,,,, q is how would we go about getting a uk no. for my daughter..
info.... we are uk citizens born an bred.
in canada as residents now.
daughter is under 16.
nb. daughter needed canadian insurance no. to work pt at nursery.after school.,and the lack of a uk ni no. just occured to me..
james...
The UK won't actually give her one unless she needs it. Why does she need one?

This is a different policy to the one in Canada - all Canadian citizens are entitled to a SIN even if they live abroad (I live in the US and was able to get a Canadian SIN for my 2 oldest daughters recently.)
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

mmm ,she wants to go back to see friends during holidays and get a pt job.
guess she will have to get it back in the uk.. thanks
Old Dec 19th 2010, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
This is a different policy to the one in Canada - all Canadian citizens are entitled to a SIN even if they live abroad (I live in the US and was able to get a Canadian SIN for my 2 oldest daughters recently.)
Interesting!

How did you get the SIN number? I understood that there was no way to apply for it if you were not in Canada.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewillow
Interesting!

How did you get the SIN number? I understood that there was no way to apply for it if you were not in Canada.
I would imagine they have to go into a Service Canada office after they arrive in Canada to get a SIN number.