Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Divorce from Ontario

UK Divorce from Ontario

Old Mar 20th 2018, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Divorce from Ontario

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've heard of a marriage of convenience but not a divorce of convenience.
Well, that's what happened. Unusual perhaps.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 6:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gaz_c2c
Hi everyone, and thanks for all of your advice.

Just to follow up with what a few people have pointed out, I was under the impression that me and the OH would wait for the 2 years in the UK (or 1 year in Ontario) to elapse and then do it quickly, cheaply and uncontested. As you can imagine I was a little surprised to receive the email after only 6 months (and to answer the question, unreasonable behaviour has been cited as the grounds for divorce...i.e. me moving to Canada without her).

I get the feeling that when I removed my OH from the PR application in January that this has caused a reaction...hence her approaching a solicitor recently.

Well I have plenty of food for thought, I'm calling my folks in the UK this week (both divorced ) so I'll see if they can recommend a solicitor locally if it comes to it. I'll also ask for some more details from my OH's solicitor so that I am hopefully a bit more clued in to what their expectations are.
She may be out of luck on the 'unreasonable behavior' as there is a time limit to file for divorce... particularly as it appears you lived apart from last summer.
Another factor to bear in mind when presenting a divorce petition on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour is the time limit. This must be done within six months from the last incident of unreasonable behaviour, providing the parties continue to live together. If one party moves out of the martial home they can still issue a petition on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour after six months have passed, although it is advisable not to wait too long as you may then have to issue a petition based on separation instead, which can take between two and five years (dependent on whether both parties agree or not).
https://smab.co.uk/divorce-unreasona...rivate-matter/

(There's some good advice on that website, you may want to have a read)

Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

jeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
try to get divorced in canada,
the rules are fairer here
speaking from experience
cheers
jerry
Old Mar 25th 2018, 12:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeremy brewer
Hi
try to get divorced in canada,
the rules are fairer here
speaking from experience
cheers
jerry
Well, maybe.

Me "I'd like to get a divorce"

Lawyer "Don't do that. Men do not seek divorces in Ontario"