Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK/BC driving licence

UK/BC driving licence

Old Jul 8th 2016, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

zac stone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK/BC driving licence

Where ICBC are concerned,will they accept an email or fax as an original document,with the looming Canada Post strike.i would prefer to use this method of delivery rather than risking having the letter get caught up in the strike.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 6:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zac stone
Where ICBC are concerned,will they accept an email or fax as an original document,with the looming Canada Post strike.i would prefer to use this method of delivery rather than risking having the letter get caught up in the strike.
You could ask them to scan it and email it as an attachment then print it off, perhaps? If you could get DVLA to stamp and sign it somehow first, that might help. I would also ask them to mail you (or courier?) a copy as well.. that way you could tell ICBC that due to the postal strike they have sent it as an attachment but will mail out the original as well.

It does say on ICBC website: "If you're moving from outside Canada or the U.S., the document must be original. It cannot be photocopied or printed off the internet."

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...xperience.aspx

What your driving record or letter of experience must include

the name, address and phone number of the driver's licensing authority in your province or territory
your name and birth date
your driver's licence number (or other unique identifier)
class of licence(s) held, and
either the date(s) your licence(s) were originally issued, or the amount of time you have held a licence (if you need to show two years' of non-learner driving experience, ensure that it notes this).

Old Jul 8th 2016, 12:46 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zac stone
Thanks everyone for your reply's to my post;luckily,I had kept the photocopy of my U.K. licence that the lady at the ICBC licencing office had given me when I swapped licences,complete with office branch stamp and date.I took this to my local ICBC licencing office this afternoon,and they confirmed that this was adequate proof that I did actually qualify for a BC class 6(motorcycle)licence,but I am still going to request a certificate of entitlement from the DVLA,
thanks again every one.
Thanks for the info Zac. I spoke with DVLA from the ship (Off the East coast of Canada right now).

They advised that I can download form D888 from the DVLA website. Fill it out, sign it, scan it and email to: [email protected]
There is no charge. I've just done that, and for the hell of it enclosed a copy of the ICBC letter in the email also.

The above might be useful info for someone, rather than them posting a request to DVLA by snail mail.

As it happens I also have a colour scanned copy of my paper-counterpart and front of the plastic driving licence card showing my details and groups. It was renewed in 2011. In addition I have the original motorbike test pass paperwork from 2001. Plus copies of the original driver record we gave to ICBC in our arrival in Feb 2013. My wife will head into ICBC appointed agent in Sooke today, where we first went to swap our licences, and see if they will listen to her on the matter and deal with it in my absence. Hopefully they will accept the evidence she presents.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 12:49 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder whom at ICBC dreamt this little number up!?
Old Jul 8th 2016, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

zac stone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi James,thanks for posting your findings,I think I will do the same and send the D888 form via email,it's worth having as a backup,I just hope when the DVLA send the driver record,that it doesn't get caught up in any potential Canada Post strike!
Old Jul 10th 2016, 2:29 am
Just Joined

nicolasmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by james.mc
Thanks for the info Zac. I spoke with DVLA from the ship (Off the East coast of Canada right now).

They advised that I can download form D888 from the DVLA website. Fill it out, sign it, scan it and email to: [email protected]
There is no charge. I've just done that, and for the hell of it enclosed a copy of the ICBC letter in the email also.

The above might be useful info for someone, rather than them posting a request to DVLA by snail mail.

As it happens I also have a colour scanned copy of my paper-counterpart and front of the plastic driving licence card showing my details and groups. It was renewed in 2011. In addition I have the original motorbike test pass paperwork from 2001. Plus copies of the original driver record we gave to ICBC in our arrival in Feb 2013. My wife will head into ICBC appointed agent in Sooke today, where we first went to swap our licences, and see if they will listen to her on the matter and deal with it in my absence. Hopefully they will accept the evidence she presents.
Thank you, thank you, thank you..... This is valuable information! I have my Driving test report and a copy of my motorcycle test certificate along with the driving test theory certificate.... Unfortunately the copy of my driving licence was pre-motorcycle category being added. My DH wasn't so lucky and when he called DVLA they told him he could only write in to get this information, they gave him no other information at all that could help us!! I think I have enough proof but will send off this form just to be safe.
Thanks again and have a safe trip out East,
Nicola
From East Saanich
Old Jul 10th 2016, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question in case anyone has the answer to this: my husband has had a BC licence (including motorcycle) since circa 2010, last renewed in 2012. Is everyone with a UK motorcycle licence getting one of these ICBC notices do you think? We are thinking he should prepare in case he does get one (although there is a postal strike now I think).

Thank you!

S