Reload this Page >

UK/BC driving licence

UK/BC driving licence

Old Jul 7th 2016, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

zac stone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK/BC driving licence

Hi,
I surrendered my UK driving licence in September 2013 in orders to obtain a BC licence,I received a letter today from ICBC informing me that because of changes to UK motorcycle licencing change in 2013,my motorcycle class 6 might have been incorrectly issued.They go on to say they cannot confirm my information,as my UK licence was destroyed by ICBC.
I have held a bike licence for over 35 years,and I have a photocopy of my UK licence,I went on the DVLA website to check my licence details,but it states I have no current UK licence,as I have a licence from another authority(ICBC)ICBC are asking for proof of my motorcycle experience,in the form of an original document,issued by the DVLA,But if the DVLA are saying on their automated website that I don't have a UK licence(because i swapped it for a BC licence)how am I going to prove I have been riding a motorcycle on a full licence for over 35 years,will they accept the photocopy as proof,ICBC stamped and dated it,is anyone having the same problem,any help regarding this matter would be much appreciated,
thanks every one!
Old Jul 7th 2016, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK/BC driving licence

I just checked with my husband but his BC licence was (re)issued in 2012 and he has Class 5 & 6.

Would it be an option to get in touch with DVLA as one would think there would be a Permanent record of your driving details even if you'd been issued a licence by ICBC.

S
Old Jul 7th 2016, 4:59 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you can get a copy of your driver record from DVLA, regardless.

Fill in the D888 form to get a copy of your driver record

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...driving-record

Or:

Information held about you on the Agency’s registers, should be made by post.

Release of information about yourself from the driver licence records

Requests for information must be made in writing providing your full name and address details, driver licence number or your date of birth if your driver licence number isn’t known. The fee for this service is £5.00 and requests should be sent to DCS (Data Subject Enquiries) D4, DVLA, Swansea SA6 7JL.

Old Jul 7th 2016, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply,very helpful,I will start by phoning them tomorrow,
thanks again!
Old Jul 7th 2016, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Hi,thanks for your help,I will phone the DVLA tomorrow!
Old Jul 7th 2016, 7:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You can check your driving entitlements online and print off a PDF copy: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
Old Jul 7th 2016, 7:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can check your driving entitlements online and print off a PDF copy: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
I think he tried that:

"I went on the DVLA website to check my licence details, but it states I have no current UK licence, as I have a licence from another authority(ICBC)"

Old Jul 7th 2016, 7:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I think he tried that:

"I went on the DVLA website to check my licence details, but it states I have no current UK licence, as I have a licence from another authority(ICBC)"

You're right, sorry, didn't spot that, distracted by the football!
Old Jul 7th 2016, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,thanks for your reply,I tried that last night,but the website won't give me details because I have surrendered my licence for a BC licence,but I spoke to someone at the DVLA today,and they will send me a certificate of entitlement,
thank you for you help!
Old Jul 7th 2016, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very helpful thread as now we all know what to do.
My husband was quite worried about whenever it is he will have to renew his BC licence in case he has a similar experience.

S
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

stuartgrahamjames is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zac stone
Hi,thanks for your reply,I tried that last night,but the website won't give me details because I have surrendered my licence for a BC licence,but I spoke to someone at the DVLA today,and they will send me a certificate of entitlement,
thank you for you help!
Did they tell you when they will send this document ? Im sure you are aware canada post have decided they will be going on strike from this friday. Given that my letter is date June 29th i would have some concern with meeting the 30 day deadline.

Did you not suggest FAX ?
Old Jul 8th 2016, 2:45 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Just received exactly the same letter.. except that I am on a ship off the East Coast of Canada and not due back until August! My wife is heading in tomorrow with copies of licences and DVLA abstract which we made before ICBC took the originals from us and then destroyed them as per legislation and ICBC's agreement with the UK! Great eh? Yep! I know they say original abstract but they had that once and destroyed it. Worth a shot, unless she hits a jobsworth who insists that they can only deal with me in person. I'll give them our vessel position and see if we can meet

June 29, 2016

Re: British Columbia Driver Licence XXXXXXXX

We are writing with respect to your British Columbia driver's licence (BCDL). When you exchanged your United Kingdom (UK) driver's licence for your BCDL, the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) issued you a Class 6 licence, which entitles you to drive a motorcycle, in addition to your Class 5 (passenger vehicle) licence.
This exchange was based on the information we had at the time regarding the UK driver's licence.
However, it has since come to our attention that the UK made a licensing change in 2013, which means we may have incorrectly issued you a Class 6 licence. Unfortunately, we are unable to confirm the information that was on the UK driver's licence that you surrendered, as it was destroyed as per legislation and ICBC's agreement with the UK.

Please note that this change does not affect the Class 5 (regular passenger
vehicle) portion of your BCDL.
In order to ensure you have the correct class of licence for your experience and qualifications/ you will need to visit any Driver Licensing Office (DLO) within 3O days to confirm the accuracy of your current BCDL. When you attend, we will be able to offer you the following options:

. In order to retain your Class 6 licence, we ask that you provide proof of your qualifications from the UK to drive a motorcycle. Proof of motorcycle experience must be an original document issued by the driver licensing authorities in the UK, who can be contacted by phone by dialling O11 44 300 790 6801 from within Canada; or

. If you are unable to obtain proof of experience, you can choose to complete all Class 6 testing so we can confirm your qualifications. This will include a knowledge test, motorcycle skills test, and road test, There will be no cost to you for the testing, until the first fail, at which point you will be required to pay for subsequent tests. In addition, we will waive any waiting periods between testing; or

. If you do not wish to retain your Class 6 Licence, we will remove the Class 6
designation and issue you with the correct class at no cost. A new photograph and signature will be captured.

Please ensure that you bring primary and secondary identification with you when you visit the DLO (see icbc.com for a list of acceptable identification: htto://www.icbc.com/driverlicensino/visit-dl-office/Paqes/Accepted-ID.aspx). A note has been placed on your record so an ICBC customer service Representative will be able to assist you.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and appreciate your cooperation.

If you have any questions please call us at 250-978-B3OO in Victoria, or toll free from anywhere else in B.C. at 1-800-950-1498.

Yours truly,
Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
In the meantime I'm going to do a belt and braces approach and order up yet another original DVLA abstract by phone tomorrow. GBP 5.00 as far as I am aware. I have a UK bank account, so if they need payment I can arrange that somehow.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Just shown this to my husband. We're going to preempt this and call DVLA to get the driving record.

Thanks all.

S
Old Jul 8th 2016, 3:21 am
Just Joined

karlat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there.. I got the same letter and looked into this further.. I have attached a link from the govt.uk.

https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped/licences-issued-before-19-january-2013

Basically there is no change unless you actually renewed your license after that date, and even then it's the same category..

"If you’re already licensed to ride a motorcycle, your licence should show category A. This will be the same if you renew or replace your licence after 19 January 2013."

As far as I can see there is no change if you already have 'A' on your license, and shouldn't have to provide anything..
Old Jul 8th 2016, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your reply's to my post;luckily,I had kept the photocopy of my U.K. licence that the lady at the ICBC licencing office had given me when I swapped licences,complete with office branch stamp and date.I took this to my local ICBC licencing office this afternoon,and they confirmed that this was adequate proof that I did actually qualify for a BC class 6(motorcycle)licence,but I am still going to request a certificate of entitlement from the DVLA,
thanks again every one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.