Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Uh oh, here come the noobs...

Uh oh, here come the noobs...

Old Apr 25th 2016, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

JonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Uh oh, here come the noobs...

Morning/Afternoon/Evening to one and all,

Well, after quite a lot of deliberation, I'm going to put our situation out there and seek advice from the community that actually knows the reality.

I am 34 and my partner is 39. We are both British nationals and have been in the police in England for 15 years. Emmigrating has always been in our hearts but, in many ways I feel like we've possibly missed the 'gold rush' in these stakes and are lagging years behind and playing catch up?

Our goal would be to launch our emmigration quest in 2-3 years time (therefore about 36 & 42 years respectively). I note now that the opportunity to join the RCMP is all but dead in the water now so, with nothing necessarily on paper to assist our process in terms of education my general question would be.............. 'in which direction should we be educating ourselves over the next 2-3 years in order to make ourselves more attractive candidates for a new life in Canada?'

After a little research (which will be ongoing!) our chosen region would be Nova Scotia.

Many thanks to one n all for reading and, even more so for replying J&V
Old Apr 25th 2016, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uh oh, here come the noobs...

Which route to immigrate to Canada would you be looking at?

If you've established you are not eligible (or don't get enough points) via Express Entry*, then you'd need to look at TWP leading to PR, which for police officer jobs (as you mention) is dead in the water. Or PNP possibilities.

*I'dcheck this first, if you haven't already done so.

If you seriously want to immigrate to Canada, I'd start on it now, not wait 2 - 3 years. May I assume you have already visited Canada?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is you want to do in Canada?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 8:40 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonVichis
have been in the police in England for 15 years.
Assuming you joined while the 30 year pension rule was still in effect, you should think long and hard about giving that up. Especially in three years time when you would be even closer to a full service pension.

I speak as someone who lives in Oregon and collects a 30 year Met Police pension.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

JonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond reputeJonVichis has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, thanks to you all for your responses.

Shirtback: Hey, we've taken three separate eligibilty tests and appear to be let down by our lack of 'on paper' qualifications but otherwise, financially and otherwise we would be in a strong position. I state 2-3 years as the notion of Canada is relatively new however our desire to live & work abroad has been a long standing one, being well travelled and having ex colleagues in both Michigan, US and also Perth, AU. This means that it will take a bit of time to fully appreciate the different access routes into Canada and the pro/cons of it all which believe me, we are looking at.

Boiler: Hello, with regards to what we'd both like to do. I've looked at the skills in demand lists and am considering developing around environmental management or working on the land i.e. conservation. Other alternatives would likely be around I.T systems. Do these sound sensible based on your experiences? This is another reason for the 2-3 year plan as neither of us currently have any background other than in policing. These aquired skills are hard to 'translate' into the private sector!

Iansbury: Alright mucker ;-) Ah, I'm sure you'll be up to speed with the change in our pension situation that came into effect last year? I joined at 18 under the 30 year scheme thus retirement at 49 with full pension. Now I would need to work until 60 to collect my full pension (worth half of the old scheme) or collect at age 55 at a 25% reduction. It's all to pot I'm afraid! I was not within the tapered or protected bracket and therefore have been 'done over'.

We're at the beginning, absorbing ideas, advice and knowledge like sponges so thank you so much for responding.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Canada's main PR route (express entry) doesn't have a "skills in demand" list. It's down to points in EE.

Some PNPs do.

May I ask why you're looking at NS in particular? It's a province with a dismal unemployment rate, amongst other things.

There was a provincial police force (or maybe more than one) which was recruiting from overseas a while back (Calgary/Alberta?, maybe?, I think?).
Old Apr 25th 2016, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

My Grandfather did emigrate to Canada, and joined the Mounties. But over a 100 years ago.

I am south of the Border, from what I have seen moving across the pond the day to day reality is much more of a shock.

I would question the logic of IT, you are late starting and there is a lot of much younger competition.

Not sure how environment management works in Canada, in the US I would not consider this to be an obvious route.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 9:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Iansbury: Alright mucker ;-) Ah, I'm sure you'll be up to speed with the change in our pension situation that came into effect last year? I joined at 18 under the 30 year scheme thus retirement at 49 with full pension. Now I would need to work until 60 to collect my full pension (worth half of the old scheme) or collect at age 55 at a 25% reduction. It's all to pot I'm afraid! I was not within the tapered or protected bracket and therefore have been 'done over'.
My son is in The Job which is why I said if you were in the 30 years scheme. Big difference between the old and what was left after May screwed everyone over.

The problem with moving to a new country is you start at the bottom again. Best I got offered were $9 an hour security guard jobs with 12 hour shifts, not even supervisor positions. I started something of my own, but that was only possible because of my pension.

Last edited by lansbury; Apr 25th 2016 at 9:30 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 10:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You may find this forum of use (as well as still hanging around here, of course!).. it has several sections on police recruitment, just in case you were thinking of continuing.

Blue Line Forums • Index page

Old Apr 25th 2016, 10:40 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback

May I ask why you're looking at NS in particular? It's a province with a dismal unemployment rate, amongst other things.
Yes. 9% verses 7.5 for Quebec
Old Apr 26th 2016, 3:28 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Morning/Afternoon/Evening to one and all,

Well, after quite a lot of deliberation, I'm going to put our situation out there and seek advice from the community that actually knows the reality.

I am 34 and my partner is 39. We are both British nationals and have been in the police in England for 15 years. Emmigrating has always been in our hearts but, in many ways I feel like we've possibly missed the 'gold rush' in these stakes and are lagging years behind and playing catch up?

Our goal would be to launch our emmigration quest in 2-3 years time (therefore about 36 & 42 years respectively). I note now that the opportunity to join the RCMP is all but dead in the water now so, with nothing necessarily on paper to assist our process in terms of education my general question would be.............. 'in which direction should we be educating ourselves over the next 2-3 years in order to make ourselves more attractive candidates for a new life in Canada?'

After a little research (which will be ongoing!) our chosen region would be Nova Scotia.

Many thanks to one n all for reading and, even more so for replying J&V
You should come to Toronto.

The Police are paid a fortune and don't even have to catch colds.

Sunny days for police pay: GTA cops are prominent on the Sunshine list | Toronto Star
Old Apr 26th 2016, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Jon. Are you fixed on Canada? There are a few British colonies around the world (including my home of Cayman) that are always on the lookout for British coppers.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 4:14 am
Account Closed

New Zealand seems to have a good rep.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Siouxie, many thanks for posting that thread link, I'll be sure to take a look later this evening. Appreciate it.

Flogger, 9% compared to 7.5% doesn't seem a huge leap ;-) and I'm sure that NS has many great qualities and people.

James M, I've read the article you posted. A quite phenomenal pay level, some days it's money for nothing and others you couldn't get paid enough. I am used to that jekyll and hyde lifestyle now!

Gordon, thanks for your comment. Whilst Canada seems like a great compromise for us in terms of distance from home etc, I'd never be so blinkered as to discount other options / opportunities. Do you have any further information that you could send me? Cheers.

Boiler, New Zealand for sure, a beautiful country but I feel that AU or NZ would be that little bit too far away for family / friends etc.

Again, really appreciate the ongoing links, advice and comments. Every little helps as they say. What a great community there is here, I'm only sorry we're so late to the game!
Old Apr 26th 2016, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

p.s: Would people be able to post which skills / trades are in high demand in their relevant areas? It would be of great help, thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.