Reload this Page >

U.K. To Canada

U.K. To Canada

Old Apr 17th 2016, 11:06 am
Just Joined

samjam1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default U.K. To Canada

Hi,

Just a quick post, basically I'm at the beginning stages of starting the process of IEC but think I'm am going to wait for the 2017 dates and apply then.

After posting a thread asking about the ins and outs of the whole process I think I'm quite comfortable I know how to go about applying now (thanks to everyone who replied and were really helpful).

My question is this, is there anyone out there who is in the same position as me and thinking about applying next year but hasn't really formulated a solid plan yet and are not entirely sure where they want to go and when etc etc?

I am going to use the coming year to plan as thoroughly as I am able to and save like crazy so I will have a good cushion to help see me through until I can get a job. If anyone is in the same position as me and wants someone to bounce ideas off or maybe even be travel partners let me know as it would be good to either have a point of contact actually in Canada who has already done it or someone that can offer ideas etc for the time leading up to getting an IEC.

Also I would just like to point out that I know the process of IEC incase anyone was going to explain the process.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 3:25 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.K. To Canada

Save as much as you can

Research the different provinces/cities and look on job sites to look at saleries/avaliablity of work etc depending on what you want to do...

Housing can be expensive especially in Toronto and Vancouver so factor that in
Old Apr 17th 2016, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Save as much as you can

Research the different provinces/cities and look on job sites to look at saleries/avaliablity of work etc depending on what you want to do...

Housing can be expensive especially in Toronto and Vancouver so factor that in
I'm aiming to go with roughly cad$8-10,000 if all goes to plan, providing life doesn't get in the way like it does sometimes.

I have been weighing up the differences between Vancouver and Toronto and I think deep down I would like to go to Vancouver as it's on the west coast etc but I think practicality wise i would be more sensible to go to Toronto to start as perhaps there are more job opportunities and more of a night life from what I have read?

Job wise in the U.K right now I am in an office admin type roll and working towards a senior promotion, but i am not entirely sure what I would want to do in Canada, I think I wouldn't mind just getting a job to start and get some money coming in and then decide.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 12:00 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samjam1234

Job wise in the U.K right now I am in an office admin type roll and working towards a senior promotion, but i am not entirely sure what I would want to do in Canada, I think I wouldn't mind just getting a job to start and get some money coming in and then decide.
That's what I did. I came out and got a job in a cafe on my third day and then six weeks later I got a job within my field. Plenty of bar/coffee shop work here if you're not fussy about just bringing in some money.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 1:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I did. I came out and got a job in a cafe on my third day and then six weeks later I got a job within my field. Plenty of bar/coffee shop work here if you're not fussy about just bringing in some money.
I don't know if this is useful or not but I'm on good terms with a coffee shop owner and, although I'm not his bartender, he tells me his problems. He wants people who have worked a coffee grinder and an espresso machine before. He wants people who can make change, who are used to handling cash. He will pay $2/hr more for these skills. These skills on top of the house requirements of being young, female, personable and pretty; this is a university town so there are no end of people who meet those requirements.

If I were going to look for a job serving coffee in a foreign country, I'd get one locally first, be able to turn up knowing where the coffee goes in and the steam comes out (or whatever it is, I just drink the stuff and sell the owner eggs).
Old Apr 18th 2016, 3:18 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know if this is useful or not but I'm on good terms with a coffee shop owner and, although I'm not his bartender, he tells me his problems. He wants people who have worked a coffee grinder and an espresso machine before. He wants people who can make change, who are used to handling cash. He will pay $2/hr more for these skills. These skills on top of the house requirements of being young, female, personable and pretty; this is a university town so there are no end of people who meet those requirements.

If I were going to look for a job serving coffee in a foreign country, I'd get one locally first, be able to turn up knowing where the coffee goes in and the steam comes out (or whatever it is, I just drink the stuff and sell the owner eggs).
Luckily when I was in university I managed a coffee shop so I already had the skills for that.

If the OP does not then there is always bar work.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 7:10 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily when I was in university I managed a coffee shop so I already had the skills for that.

If the OP does not then there is always bar work.
Provided he gets his certification.

BC: Serving It Right - Home

Ontario: https://www.smartserve.ca/

Old Apr 18th 2016, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Haha, this got me!
At first I thought 'is this guy actually serious'... so I checked who posted it then I knew.
Coffee goes in steam comes out...
Old Apr 18th 2016, 12:39 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Forgot about that. Thank you
Old Apr 18th 2016, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I think that's what I would try and do as I will be happy for anything really to get some money in and also it's a good way to meet people.

Also I have bar and cafe experience from my younger years, and my friend is a manager at a coffee shop and I'm sure he would be more than happy to give me a brush up so to speak.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Of course, I would have to get certification first hopefully. Are those links for job websites?
Old Apr 18th 2016, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

gaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond repute

As some people have mentioned licenses, another avenue to consider (especially if you end up in Toronto like me) is getting your security license. I didn't have much love for the work, but there is plenty of it going around and many concierge jobs require it to work on concierge desks these days. The course is very basic (40 hours) in Ontario and will set you back around $2-300 or so, an easy multiple choice exam will cost you another $67 (last time I checked), and the license photo card $80 (valid for up to years in Ontario).

I'm sure BC has a similar scheme, but if you want steady income and your pick of jobs then you could do a lot worse than get this done when you first arrive.

Apply for a Licence | Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
Old Apr 18th 2016, 4:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samjam1234
Of course, I would have to get certification first hopefully. Are those links for job websites?
Perhaps click on them to find out?

No, they are links to getting certified to be able to serve alcohol in BC and Ontario.

Old Apr 18th 2016, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Perhaps click on them to find out?

No, they are links to getting certified to be able to serve alcohol in BC and Ontario.

Haha sorry, I was at work so I didn't have time to investigate what they were, but thanks I will have a perusal
Old Apr 18th 2016, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gaz_c2c
As some people have mentioned licenses, another avenue to consider (especially if you end up in Toronto like me) is getting your security license. I didn't have much love for the work, but there is plenty of it going around and many concierge jobs require it to work on concierge desks these days. The course is very basic (40 hours) in Ontario and will set you back around $2-300 or so, an easy multiple choice exam will cost you another $67 (last time I checked), and the license photo card $80 (valid for up to years in Ontario).

I'm sure BC has a similar scheme, but if you want steady income and your pick of jobs then you could do a lot worse than get this done when you first arrive.

Apply for a Licence | Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
Thanks, that's a really good idea. It's definitely good to make yourself open to all options available and you don't know what's going to happen. And if anything it's always good to have something to fall back on.

This might sound dumb to some people, but to able to work in Canada would I have to register for some type of national insurance card or is that kind of included in the visa?

Also whilst I am in the U.K I am going to try and better myself as much as I can in my current job so this might make it a bit easier for me in some capacity to be able to get a job in Canada.

Did you find it easier to get a job after a while of being there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.