Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Two years in New Brunswick.

Two years in New Brunswick.

Old May 5th 2007, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two years in New Brunswick.

Hi Steve

Its been a while since we have heard from you.
Nice to have you back.

We are moving over to NB on Monday

I would say that Moncton is definately a growing city and it's house prices have gone up steadily.
Nothing like the UK of course, but still heading in the right direction.

Are you moving into the city itself or somewhere on the outskirts?

We have bought a house on route 114 about 12 mins out of Riverview on the way to Hillsborough.

Anyway it's nice to hear from you again.

Penny
Old May 5th 2007, 7:58 pm
Canadian Outlaw

RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Hi to all who have written to me this year.

Firstly I tell it like it is.
The economy in NB is very much like the north of England was in the eighties....screwed.
If one is coming to NB and one wants the ability to change jobs if one dislikes the current one, then only MONCTON can provide that.
In turn anyone can get a job in Moncton, but if you want a career, you must be bi-lingual as well.
If you are experienced in middle range positions in construction, management, sales, teaching, finance and banking then Fredericton or Saint John has very limited opportunities. If you are hoping to use a uni' "ticket", then most posts require some sort of Canadian uni' doctorate etc.
Do not go north of Woodstock, Fredericton or Moncton...yes homes are very cheap but...you will have to speak French to work!
The cost of living is much higher then the UK.
There is zero public transportation basically.
If you have children, you will spend hours in ya car enabling them to have a social life.
Gasoline is $1.15 average at present.
Hourly paid jobs are between $9.00 to $13.00 at the most, per hr.
Basically, an hours work will buy you fuel to travel around 80klms (50mls) in ya car.
In the UK, using a figure of say 8 to 12 pounds per hr, gas is 1 pound a litre and engines are smaller, people in the UK get more motoring for their pound.
When you research here in the future, use $10 per hr as your average earned income calculator.
One only gets 10 days vacation for the first 5 yrs of company employment.
In NB, GST/HST tax is 14% (in the UK it's called VAT).
All retail prices advertised are PLUS the 14% (opposite to buying in the UK).
Relative to earned NB income, heating oil is very expensive, electricity (called Hydro in Canada) is remarkably cheap!
Outside the city centres, people burn wood in the stove to keep warm, that is very cheap, as they cut it locally.
Supermarket basics cost-
Milk - a litre is $1.20
Bread - $1.75

When checking out housing look at www.mls.ca then follow the link to the realtor's site.
Also check www.homesacrosscanada.com for extra pictures.
Anything priced under $100,000 is generally crap.
$100,000 to $125,000 might need fine tuning.
Over $125,000, worth a look generally.
Cars depreciate far more rapidly then in the UK.
After three years they begin to level out and hold their price surprisingly well for another 5 to 7 years.
As 99% of driving is open road, engines are not "hammered" like in the UK and because most cars are automatic, transmissions "go" before engines do!
Check www.autotrader.ca, aim to buy a 2003 or 2004 and save your "dosh!"
Franchised dealers are surprisingly very very honest!
Buying a home?
Realtors do some of the "solicitors work!"
Realtors have to train for qualifications, as home sale/purchase is legally signed of by all parties and the agent at each stage, so one is locked in to the deal, NO gazumping etc. is possible (similar system to Scotland).
The Lawyer does the final bit at the end, like the UK.
Caution...anyone can be a "home inspector" (in the UK it would be a surveyor).
So remember to check out this aspect before hiring such!
Here, roof tiles are called 'shingles' and are not slate.
Brick walls are very rare, home are clad in "siding".
Either vinyl or aluminum factory spray painted is good.
Walls clad in "shingles" normally means "wood" tiles, which do fine, but can look scruffy quickly.
In the home, baseboard means skirting board.
Electric baseboard means, heaters on the skirting board. It's a clean and cheap way to heat, the heaters are NOT hot to the touch.
Here in NB, realtors can be "duel", meaning they can represent both parties.
We prefer that, as it can have advantages, if you are the buyer, they are trying to sell as high as possible, but you can call their bluff, make an offer and when rejected, walk away, if it's still for sale a week later, just increase it a very little, 9 times out of ten, you get a bite in your favour.
NOTE- IT IS USUAL to offer as low as 25% of the asking price when beginning the offer process.
Opposite to Scotland.
The Maritimes is seeing a migration of people to the Oil Sands of Alberta, so home prices are falling still in NB, PEI, NL&Lab and NS.
We have just sold up and are moving to Moncton.
We are locked into a three year commitment to remain in NB, as we came here via the NB Nominee scheme (Business Investor), which by the way we lost around $30,000 in nearly 18 months.
But, we still look at it as, anythings better then living in the UK and suffering the PC correctness gone mad in the EU countries!!!:
Best of luck in Moncton Steve - thanks for the advice in the past. I'm still heading to Saint John myself - there is plenty of IT work there for me (at least one *very* interesting prospect - and I haven't even landed yet). I'd agree you've made the right move leaving for NB (but I would say that)

Keep up the straight-talking it is very refreshing.
Old May 5th 2007, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

He's already in NB, some where near St Stephen I believe

Originally Posted by RobinHood
Best of luck in Moncton Steve - thanks for the advice in the past. I'm still heading to Saint John myself - there is plenty of IT work there for me (at least one *very* interesting prospect - and I haven't even landed yet). I'd agree you've made the right move leaving for NB (but I would say that)

Keep up the straight-talking it is very refreshing.
Old May 6th 2007, 3:57 pm
Canadian Outlaw

RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SAW 04
He's already in NB, some where near St Stephen I believe
I know - but if you read his original post (last paragraph) you will see he is moving to Moncton
Old May 6th 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Hi pennyhp,

My wife and I are in Moncton and Riverview this Wed. coming, finalising a few things before we move there in under two weeks time from the St.George area.
We will be renting whilst we look around more, deciding what to buy.
We have looked at Riverview more than Moncton, seems a bit more pleasant.
We see there are a few places for sale on the www.homesacrosscanada.com & www.mls.ca (both essentially the same info', only first has larger pictures and second has the room dimensions).
We decided two months ago to sell up and move.
We had an offer for the full asking price on our home the same week.
Since then we have been going to Moncton every weekend looking around and viewing homes.
We have still to find something to rent, but it's only the two of us, so it's like restarting the adventure again.
We have got the chance to stay in motel type accommodation, but we are still looking around for a decent HOUSE rental, not interested in apartment rental, as idiots leave their heating on overnight and burn buildings down, it's on the news most nights, that it has happened some where in NB or NS!
I will "PM" you today aswell.

Hi to other readers,

Yep, people say that the Maritime cities' home prices are rising but, what people ask for there home and what people pay, can vary very much.
One can ask say $200,000, but it's typical to only receive offers of less then say $180,000 subject to home inspection (survey) as well!!!
Old May 6th 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh sorry I undertsand now, you refer to his origional move two years ago from the UK. Im a bit more up to date and assumed you meant the current move in which case your comment made no sense!

Originally Posted by RobinHood
I know - but if you read his original post (last paragraph) you will see he is moving to Moncton
Old May 6th 2007, 6:49 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SAW 04
Better forget moving to Canada then. Driving your kids around to their numerous activities is the way of life here.
Just as it was in England if I remember, only difference is that I don't spend ages in traffic...
Old May 6th 2007, 11:46 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Hi pennyhp,

My wife and I are in Moncton and Riverview this Wed. coming, finalising a few things before we move there in under two weeks time from the St.George area.
We will be renting whilst we look around more, deciding what to buy.
We have looked at Riverview more than Moncton, seems a bit more pleasant.
We see there are a few places for sale on the www.homesacrosscanada.com & www.mls.ca (both essentially the same info', only first has larger pictures and second has the room dimensions).
We decided two months ago to sell up and move.
We had an offer for the full asking price on our home the same week.
Since then we have been going to Moncton every weekend looking around and viewing homes.
We have still to find something to rent, but it's only the two of us, so it's like restarting the adventure again.
We have got the chance to stay in motel type accommodation, but we are still looking around for a decent HOUSE rental, not interested in apartment rental, as idiots leave their heating on overnight and burn buildings down, it's on the news most nights, that it has happened some where in NB or NS!
I will "PM" you today aswell.

Hi to other readers,

Yep, people say that the Maritime cities' home prices are rising but, what people ask for there home and what people pay, can vary very much.
One can ask say $200,000, but it's typical to only receive offers of less then say $180,000 subject to home inspection (survey) as well!!!
Steve, are you now PR or does the fact you aren't 'in business' now have any effect ?

What are you planning on doing in Moncton ?

If you want of the few tips I have gathered so far just drop me a line, although you probably know Moncton better than I do as you have been in NB a while now.

Paul
Old May 7th 2007, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Still a registered business.

Had PR since early last year.
Old May 18th 2007, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice

Please, Please, Please tell me living in NB is not as bad as i now think it is after reading this thread. Haved applied for SW and am (was) hoping to settle in NB (fredericton,or Moncton!).

Am now off to jump off a bridge or some other high structure

batfink
Old May 18th 2007, 2:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batfink
Please, Please, Please tell me living in NB is not as bad as i now think it is after reading this thread. Haved applied for SW and am (was) hoping to settle in NB (fredericton,or Moncton!).

Am now off to jump off a bridge or some other high structure

batfink
Don't judge a province by a few comments on a Internet forum, NB sounds like a great place to bring up a family. I think the problem is trying to keep the younger generation in the province and not getting bored once they get to that age.
Old May 18th 2007, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice

Phew!!! Thanks Danny. I admit i did panic when i read that thread - but given the time to calm down I have now got it more in perspective! Anyway, we can always move if if doesn't work out

Feeling calm and collected once again no need for the bridge or other high structure
Old May 18th 2007, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

The issue with NB is meaningful employment. We moved to Fredericton from the UK with my wife's job. She has years of experience as a IT Manager. All was well until the company folded. She spent the next 3 months searching for another position,(remembering that Fredericton sells itself as a leading technology town) with absolutely no joy. In the end we moved to NS and have not looked back. Fredericton is a great town for those who are either retiring or are financially secure, or indeed those who are lucky enough to work for one of the universities or tho provincial gov.

Phew!!! Thanks Danny. I admit i did panic when i read that thread - but given the time to calm down I have now got it more in perspective! Anyway, we can always move if if doesn't work out

Feeling calm and collected once again no need for the bridge or other high structure
Old May 18th 2007, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

The reason we chose NB was low house prices, small community feel, good place to bring up kids etc. How does Nova Scotia compare?

My hubby is a serving police officer and previously trained as a carpenter. What do you think his chances of finding suitable and decently paid employment? Me, i'm just in admin - but would absolutely love to work with animals (rescue centre, vets etc!)

Any help, tips, advice etc about NB greatly appreciated. Please feel free to PM or email me.

Cheers
Batfink
Old May 18th 2007, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

We have friends (expats) who live in rural NB. He was a British bobby for 8 years and has been trying to get into Fredericton city police for 3 years. Although he is eligible to join a Canadian will always be the preferred choice. You have to be a Canadian citizen to join the RCMP, so no chance there either. I think your hubby will have far more luck with carpentry (until you become citizens). If you are prepared to do anything you should be able to secure something quickly assuming you intend living in Fredericton, Moncton or Saint John.

I believe the same will apply regarding policing in NS, although there are many more opportunities for work especially in HRM

Best of luck

SAW 04

The reason we chose NB was low house prices, small community feel, good place to bring up kids etc. How does Nova Scotia compare?

My hubby is a serving police officer and previously trained as a carpenter. What do you think his chances of finding suitable and decently paid employment? Me, i'm just in admin - but would absolutely love to work with animals (rescue centre, vets etc!)

Any help, tips, advice etc about NB greatly appreciated. Please feel free to PM or email me.

Cheers
Batfink

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.