Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The truth about winter in Canada.

The truth about winter in Canada.

Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The truth about winter in Canada.

Originally Posted by caretaker
I wouldn't even consider it!
I would have but the snow trousers are too awkward.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

But how much does it really prevent you from doing what you want to do compared to living in the UK?
Clearly you are not a golfer
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:36 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We now have wet snow, a lot of it. I cleared the driveway last night and, this morning, thought there was a 50/50 chance of being able to blast along it without clearing it again. As I stood there with the dog, watching him squirt ice cubes and pondering whether or not to try it, the plough came along. I started clearing.
One good thing about yesterday's storm was the wind. Much of the snow that came down ended up in my neighbour's yard.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:39 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Cold & snowy with days of sunshine or rain and mildly moist?

I did give this some thought last month and to be honest, I prefer it here in Canada. Take today for example, it's -10, everything is white but, it's blue skies and sunshine !!! I need that sunny day feeling, even if it via my double glazed window. :@)
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
There are men who play golf in the next cubicle from me. I don't speak to them and I try to avoid looking over there as I don't wear sunglasses indoors but I do hear a lot about playing golf.

They don't seem to be inhibited by the winter except insofar as Cadillacs aren't good in the snow and, in winter, it's harder to avoid legislative restrictions on smoking while playing. They still go out a couple of times a week and waggle their sticks. It's just that in the winter they either do it in North Carolina or indoors with some sort of big screen projection of where they'd be putting their balls if they had actual balls. They still take it in turn to have a whack, they still get on a platform and practise firing real balls into the distance. They still drink a lot after the (virtual) round and drive their garish boats home agonisingly slowly.

To the disinterested observer, the playing of golf is less offensive in winter than summer; at least no toxic pollutants are discharged during the winter.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:43 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Scarborough Golf Dome is were they play here in winter
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/new...ince_December/
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
But it does tend to stop you doing things when you get up to environment Canada frostbite warnings every day and you don't drive. -40 feels like -50 is pretty bad for travelling by public transport with a 3yr old.
Obviously much depends on what it is you want to do and other circumstances.

But if you dress well and public transport is good or you do drive (I don't) then you still get out and about.

If it really does stop you doing what you want it may well not stop you doing what you want any more than the rain does with a three year old or not.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I don't know where they go because, during their Monday morning conversations they say things like:

"Good weekend?"

"OK, 93, 97 and 84 at Augusta. Tom broke par".

"27 for the front nine on the usual course. Did you see Tiger at the 14th?".

At first I wondered how they could be Georgia one minute and Scotland the next but, in fact, it's just a projection of whatever course they're talking about.

I tune them out when they get on about choosing checkered trousers and losing their Tam O'Shanter's.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Our road hasn't even been plowed for the last 4 snowfalls
That's shocking. I'm always complaining that we get plowed too much. There's plenty of space for the needs of the traffic - if one can call it traffic, it's such a quiet street - but they do it and then do it again. And again.

What's worse is that our side usually gets done first so we get two-thirds of the width across the front while the other side gets gets a third.

But we are near a hospital and school and just off the main road so we get done as a matter of priority.

There are men who play golf in the next cubicle from me.
Isn't that a bit cramped?
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Isn't that a bit cramped?
I'll say, great bloated blobs they are, great bloated blobs in polymer; a constant violation of the No Scent policy.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously much depends on what it is you want to do and other circumstances.

But if you dress well and public transport is good or you do drive (I don't) then you still get out and about.

If it really does stop you doing what you want it may well not stop you doing what you want any more than the rain does with a three year old or not.
Nope, have to disagree. It borders on dangerous and nobody likes going out with a toddler in -50 wind chill, dressed properly or not when you have to wade through knee high snow, carrying them cos they simply can't walk through it. And she is crying because no matter how much you rug up some part of them is getting exposed.
Rain, well you can walk in that. You might get wet but you are unlikely to have parts of you fall off from frostbite.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
For all of you who long to experience real seasons or think it won't be too bad for you as you don't mind a bit of snow. This is the reality unless you live on the west coast. Day after day after day.
Rather that than endless rainfall. And in reality on the prairies it's actually very dry. Very cold though, but sunny most days. Manitoba this year has had a very unusual winter.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

There are non flooded options, both my Brother and Father have played virtually every week this year. Often more than once

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I don't know where they go because, during their Monday morning conversations they say things like:

"Good weekend?"

"OK, 93, 97 and 84 at Augusta. Tom broke par".

"27 for the front nine on the usual course. Did you see Tiger at the 14th?".

At first I wondered how they could be Georgia one minute and Scotland the next but, in fact, it's just a projection of whatever course they're talking about.

I tune them out when they get on about choosing checkered trousers and losing their Tam O'Shanter's.
That isnt real golf. No walking. No weather. No putting trauma.
Cant say Ive seen any checkered trousers on a golf course for a while. Maybe a toronto / too much money thing perhaps.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 13th 2014 at 4:40 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
For all of you who long to experience real seasons or think it won't be too bad for you as you don't mind a bit of snow. This is the reality unless you live on the west coast. Day after day after day.

This has been a particularly bad winter, the worst in twenty years, so no this is not the reality - it is an aberration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.