Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Truro Nova Scotia

Truro Nova Scotia

Old Dec 3rd 2017, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Truro Nova Scotia

Good Evening Folks,

I was wondering if any of the Ex Pats on the forum who live and work around the Truro are could help me out please.
There may be an opportunity that will become available in the New Year and my family and I would need to relocate there.

Having looked briefly online there doesnt appear to be a lot of houses for renting. Can anyone suggest a site to look on or indeed a realtor to contact?

What about schools in the area? We have three children 12,10 and 8. Are there good schools in the area? I presume like Ontario you must attend the school closest to where you live.

It does look like there is a good soccer set up in and around the Truro area and equally for my daughters there looks to be a couple of good dance studios.

What is the shopping like or do most people travel to Halifax etc when they need retail therapy?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Farmboy
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truro Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892
Good Evening Folks,

I was wondering if any of the Ex Pats on the forum who live and work around the Truro are could help me out please.
There may be an opportunity that will become available in the New Year and my family and I would need to relocate there.

Having looked briefly online there doesnt appear to be a lot of houses for renting. Can anyone suggest a site to look on or indeed a realtor to contact?

What about schools in the area? We have three children 12,10 and 8. Are there good schools in the area? I presume like Ontario you must attend the school closest to where you live.

It does look like there is a good soccer set up in and around the Truro area and equally for my daughters there looks to be a couple of good dance studios.

What is the shopping like or do most people travel to Halifax etc when they need retail therapy?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Farmboy
We lived in NS before moving to Ontario. Three years later I still miss it.
I can recommend Bruce Berry and Doug Glasser. Nice guys who would/will take care of you.
We had a house in Lantz. The boys went to school there. We had no complaints.
NS is not ON. It’s very different. They use language closer to the Americans and consider anybody not 3rd/4th generation as “come from always” That being said they are lovely people.
There’s also a strong British expat community.
We loved the place but moved to ON because hubby couldn’t get a job in NS.
Just remember, NS is about the size of England with only 1/65th of the population.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

winter can be quite horrendous, we've seen very deep snow in and around Truro.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Every winter has been different, some lots and lots of snow and others not as much. I live an hour from Truro but when I do visit I usually find everything I need locally. I do travel to Halifax 2 or 3 times a year which for me takes roughly 2 hours but that’s usually because the shops fed my hobby and I need supplies.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input everyone

Its the same old story everyone wants there cake and then to eat it as well!!

Its trying to find that Rental property at first that keeps the family happy. I have to say we were very lucky here in SW Ontario as I managed to get in touch with a home builder and rented a new house directly from him which had everything we needed.
I dont mind commuting to work in fact I am driving half an hour to work at present.
Being closer to the office is easier though as you dont have to leave so early to be in on time.
Where are the larger populations in and around the Truro area and is there much new home building taking place there?
I can imagine that in the winter the 102 highway can be a bit of a chore to drive on??

Any information about the area is good as far as I am concerned no matter if you think its trivial or not.
Can you fly directly from Nova Scotia to Ireland??

Regards

Farmboy
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 9:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You might find these threads contain some info on that area

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...fax-ns-899851/
http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...b-live-896596/
http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...xperts-868869/

I found these rentals:

https://realestate.mitula.ca/searchR...ro-nova-scotia
Very spacious 2 level semi
https://www.kijiji.ca/b-house-rental...47?ad=offering

Old Dec 3rd 2017, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Siouxie

I will give them a look

Regards

Farmboy
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input everyone

Its the same old story everyone wants there cake and then to eat it as well!!

Its trying to find that Rental property at first that keeps the family happy. I have to say we were very lucky here in SW Ontario as I managed to get in touch with a home builder and rented a new house directly from him which had everything we needed.
I dont mind commuting to work in fact I am driving half an hour to work at present.
Being closer to the office is easier though as you dont have to leave so early to be in on time.
Where are the larger populations in and around the Truro area and is there much new home building taking place there?
I can imagine that in the winter the 102 highway can be a bit of a chore to drive on??

Any information about the area is good as far as I am concerned no matter if you think its trivial or not.
Can you fly directly from Nova Scotia to Ireland??

Regards

Farmboy
Hi Farmboy,

Just read your post and have a couple of answers for you... Yes you can fly from Halifax to Dub, seasonal carriers, but Westjet fly from Halifax via St Johns (crap layover of about 6hrs but there you go, one of the perks of cheap flights) from May - Oct. Brother just booked and return was €313!!!!! He has also booked a trip in Oct as well! PLUS.. and I hop ethey do it this year agaon, ASL fly direct from Halifax to Dub in the summer months.. cracker flight.. 5hrs 30 eastward and 5hr 50 westbound.

I think you will find NS more like Ireland in folks approach to life/friendship. Like my neighbour told me when I met him the day we moved into the house... I wouldn't leave the keys in the ignition any more round here.. just in case. His view is that we are closeish to the highway and non-local opportunistic folks might check in on way past.. meanwhile, away from the beaten track, cars, trucks, tractors etc have the keys in them.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 11:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

It might be worth looking at areas like Enfield, Elmsdale, Fall River, Lower Sackville with a view to commuting to Truro.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you both Ashmyl and Alex

This is great info. You simply cant get this type of real life facts on a google search

Thanks

Farmboy
Old Dec 4th 2017, 1:52 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I live in Lantz and work in Truro, hubby works in Dartmouth so where we live works for us as its smack in the middle between them both. I personally love working in Truro. Its a sweet place with some lovely restaurants and enough stores that you can get all you need here. If you want the Gaps, Banana Repulics, H&Ms, Starbucks and Forever 21 stores however, you do need Halifax for shopping. Truro has its fill of Canadian Tires, Walmarts, Boston Pizzas, leisure complexes and Cinemas.
The schools are pretty good, as I understand it, and close enough to Wentworth that they have skiing lessons as after school options.
I too recommend Doug Glasser for any real estate needs you may have. I can Pm you his contact details if you wish.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 1:54 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

The 102 is pretty good, they always get at least one lane clear quickly. Blowing snow is more of a prob at times in some places. I only had one snow day last year due to whiteout conditions.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks Mrs Howe

Please send that through

Regards

Farmboy
Old Dec 4th 2017, 3:46 pm
Happy

Many thanks Mrs Howe

Please send that through

Regards

Farmboy
done
Old Dec 7th 2017, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

ShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=AshMyl;12393542]Hi Farmboy,

Yes you can fly from Halifax to Dub, seasonal carriers, but Westjet fly from Halifax via St Johns (crap layover of about 6hrs but there you go, one of the perks of cheap flights) from May - Oct.

as a fellow Northern Irish person located in St John's, I'll happily entertain fellow NI folk on layovers lol: I've also sent feedback to Westjet imploring them to put the flight on all year around. Even once a week in winter would be fab. there's such demand, not least because of the very strong connection between Newfoundland and Ireland; and I should get commission from Board Failte or NI Tourist Board, as I promote home as a tourist destination, particularly the northern bit!