Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

trip imminent: what line to go in at LGW?

trip imminent: what line to go in at LGW?

Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:45 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: trip imminent: what line to go in at LGW?

Night flight home, delayed four hours most of it on the runway. Get to Gatwick, kids very tired! Four U.K. Passport and one two year old Canadian and the Immigration Officer gave us a hard time for not getting him a British passport, mumbling about he could be refused entry you know, won't have any rights to health care. I was so annoyed, but clearly not about to argue with him...

Still he was ok with the line he was in!
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 11:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce
The new UK passports renewed using the new online system don't have any signature at all!
You still sign the latest passports but in ink after you receive it rather than digitally which seems somewhat of a retrograde step.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...r-new-passport
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Did we always have to do that?! I got my last UK PP in 2011. Did I have to sign it then?? Sorry too lazy to go upstairs and dig it out to check!!! but I do know it has a reduced size digital signature on. I think Canada use to have the digital sig too. Maybe there's some security reason it's changed back?

"Step 2: Sign your passport or other travel documents
Sign your name in ink on the signature line on page 3 of the adult travel document. A travel document has to be signed by the bearer only. Please note that Canadian travel documents no longer contain a pre-printed digital signature on page 2."

Pick-up and final steps — travel documents

PS: just checked: girls got new UK PPs end of last year (age 16 & 20) no sig required, only a digital signature reproduced: must be a new thing with the UK ones too.

Tirytory: grumpy border officer! I suppose our situation will be slightly different as the Canadian passport holder is 20. I will have the itineraries with me

Last edited by Snowy560; Jun 24th 2017 at 12:02 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello I thought I'd update this thread.

YVR was packed, busier than I've ever seen it. We were early and had to wait a few minutes before we could check. I noticed the NEXUS Office right near the Air Transat check in but hadn't brought my NEXUS card as I'd decided that it was too much hassle as 2 out of 5 of us were not NEXUS members. So I was kicking myself as I could have updated the card.

The line up for security was massive but we had Option Plus with Air Transat which allows you to use the fast lane anyway. Option Plus is really worth the extra $95 round trip in my opinion you get a lot of features for it including priority check in.

At LGW an officer said we could use the EU line and it was straightforward. The border officer stamped the Canadian in for 6 months.

I think we have to repeat the exercise when we go to Gibraltar tomorrow and then back to the UK a week later.

Is the 6 month entry stamp valid for the Canadian even despite leaving to go to Gib and maybe a day or two in Spain or is it like Canada where a foreign national is seeking a new entry every time they leave and reenter?

Don't even know what you need to enter Gib as a UK citizen, can't recall but obviously got passports anyway.

Last edited by Snowy560; Jul 2nd 2017 at 3:32 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure re your other question but Gib is a British territory that is part of the EU so as EU passport holders you are good... Glad the trip went well,cheers
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

I think what I'm not clear about is whether London/Gib and return is considered an "internal" flight like e.g. flying from Vancouver to Toronto.

But I'm just about to find out!

I've just answered my own Q! It's International:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/gibraltar/entry-requirements

Last edited by Snowy560; Jul 3rd 2017 at 2:02 am.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not so lucky on the return from GIB: we were told to go in the non EU line 🙁
Old Jul 10th 2017, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

So daughter and husband went in EU line and got luggage ... Me, older daughter and bf went in non EU line which took forever.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
You have to SIGN Canadian passports!

No digitalized signatures!
My Canadian Passport says 'signature not required' under the signature section. I also thought they changed the rules and you must use the same passport for each trip e.g. you cannot leave on the Canadian passport and enter the UK on the British passport?
Old Jul 16th 2017, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
My Canadian Passport says 'signature not required' under the signature section. I also thought they changed the rules and you must use the same passport for each trip e.g. you cannot leave on the Canadian passport and enter the UK on the British passport?
Do you have a link for this information? Who is "they"?.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 3:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
So daughter and husband went in EU line and got luggage ... Me, older daughter and bf went in non EU line which took forever.
Same happened to us last year...took us over 1 hour to clear non EU Immigration at Heathrow. Husband insisted we use just one PP for our trip (US PP). Daughter and family (1 UK PP and 2 Can PP) walked straight through the EU line.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 7:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadian government will not know nor care which passport you use to enter the UK.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 7:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I also thought they changed the rules and you must use the same passport for each trip e.g. you cannot leave on the Canadian passport and enter the UK on the British passport?
I vaguely recall reading something about having to enter Canada with a Canadian passport if one is a citizen - even though one holds another passport. Perhaps that's what you're thinking?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The Canadian government will not know nor care which passport you use to enter the UK.
Although if one returns from a country whose border staff would stamp a Canadian passport and there's no stamp in your Canadian passport, that would alert them to the possibility a different passport was been used. Minor point.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Although if one returns from a country whose border staff would stamp a Canadian passport and there's no stamp in your Canadian passport, that would alert them to the possibility a different passport was been used. Minor point.
Maybe, maybe not, given that Canadian passport holders are eligible for the Registered Traveller service. They still won't care though.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

I had a bizarre situation when entering the UK last week. Went to the egates, they didn't work and went into the manual line and after she scanned my UK Passport, she asked if I had a Canadian passport and asked to scan that as well. She then asked me how long I staying for etc.

Was all a bit strange and I wasn't treated like a British Citizen at all. I don't know how she knew I was Canadian either.

My best guess is maybe my British passport wasn't scanning properly and instead of getting someone over to inspect it, she just admitted me on my Canadian passport.

Last edited by CanadianSpruce; Jul 17th 2017 at 6:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.