Reload this Page >

Traveling to uk with dog - vet help Toronto

Traveling to uk with dog - vet help Toronto

Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:23 am
Just Joined

gdowle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Traveling to uk with dog - vet help Toronto

Hi,
I'm sailing back to the UK with Cunard NY to Southampton. I live near toronto and need a 3rd country vet certificate for my dog.

Cunard have recommended a vet in New Jersey but surely people have used a Canadian vet for this before?

Any help in finding a vet that's done this before near Toronto would be appreciated. My vet has never heard of it.

Thanks
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling to uk with dog - vet help Toronto

Originally Posted by gdowle
Hi,
I'm sailing back to the UK with Cunard NY to Southampton. I live near toronto and need a 3rd country vet certificate for my dog.

Cunard have recommended a vet in New Jersey but surely people have used a Canadian vet for this before?

Any help in finding a vet that's done this before near Toronto would be appreciated. My vet has never heard of it.

Thanks
I can't help you but if it's correct I would use a vet just over the border in Niagara/Lewiston/Buffalo...rather than a 7+ drive to NJ.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:45 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this is anything like the fit to fly required by the airlines, but if it is then it has to be done within a certain window before the flight (think it's 48 hours), and that may be why they are suggesting a vet who is local to the sailing.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Not sure if this is anything like the fit to fly required by the airlines, but if it is then it has to be done within a certain window before the flight (think it's 48 hours), and that may be why they are suggesting a vet who is local to the sailing.
Good point.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 5:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's a requirement for returning to the UK with a pet if you don't have a pet passport.
Third-country official veterinary certificate

To enter or return to the EU from listed or unlisted countries you need either:

a third-country official veterinary certificate and any other documents listed on it
a pet passport if your pet was given it before leaving the EU

When you can use a certificate

Your pet must arrive in an EU country within 10 days of the certificate being issued. It’s valid for 4 months for further travel within the EU.

You should get the person who checks your pet when you arrive in the EU to sign and stamp the certificate.
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/pet-passport (look 2/3rds of the way down to 3rd country certificates)

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...hird-countries <-- certificate for printing, take it to your vet

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 20th 2017 at 5:31 am.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:29 am
Just Joined

gdowle is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, so from what have read from cunard and DEFRA. I get microchip and rabies jab in canada. Then get the vet certificate and tapeworm jab 10 days or less from the approved vet in NY before we board the ship.

I just find it strange that a vet in the USA will sign off an unknown vet in canada saying all is good.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:15 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you surprised? They will have the documentation for the rabies and they will scan for the microchip and do a general check of the dog before they sign the paperwork. If they have any queries they may also contact the vet.