Travel and work help for radiographers

Travel and work help for radiographers

Old Jul 15th 2016, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

liamcousin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Travel and work help for radiographers

Hi all

I've just joined this forum and hopefully can gain some help from everyone

Me and my partner are both British radiographers working in the NHS, and we are looking at traveling and working around Canada with a view to emigrating.

I have researched a bit and know that we will have to complete the CAMRT test. Though I don't know how to go about doing this (can it only be sat in Canada?) and does it expire?
We were thinking about going to Whistler, BC for a good part of the ski season as well as Vancouver, and also to AB, either Calgary or Edmonton or both, and ON as we have friends there outside Toronto. Is this test/certificate accepted throughout all of the provinces?

Also does anyone know if there are any agencies that deal with people only needing work for a few months at a time like there are in the uk, or is it more a case that we have to contact hospitals directly to see if they have work available. And perhaps have to go through interviews, I hope not because I suck at interviews

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you

Liam
Old Jul 15th 2016, 9:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel and work help

Hi, welcome to BE.

I'll move your thread as it's not really about visas, and rename so that hopefully a radiographer or two can give you some advice.

From a visa point of view though, I'm assuming one or both of you has an IEC visa, or you're planning on applying for one if you're under 30?
Old Jul 15th 2016, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

liamcousin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for taking care of me as I don't really do much on forums. We have not applied for any visas yet, however I am 29 and Katie is 24, so by the time we do apply I will be 30, will this mean I will have to apply for a different visa?
Old Jul 16th 2016, 6:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liamcousin
Thank you for taking care of me as I don't really do much on forums.
No probs, BE is full of great info so hopefully you'll join in the forum and enjoy it.

Originally Posted by liamcousin
We have not applied for any visas yet, however I am 29 and Katie is 24, so by the time we do apply I will be 30, will this mean I will have to apply for a different visa?
In which case, I'd suggest you apply asap - it's for those aged 30 and under, but all the visas for this year have nearly gone. Once you've got it, you've got a year to activate it, so best to apply now if you can. It's possible that you could get an open work permit if your other half gets an IEC and then a skilled job, but it would be better for you both to have one so that you're both work authorised from day 1 if you can.

Any other visa will be incredibly hard to get without much work experience etc, most employers just won't want go to the cost/hassle/wait of hiring you on a LMIA/TWP and you certainly won't get an employer prepared to do an application just for a few months work.

So unless you score enough to apply for Permanent Residency now via Express Entry (which would be for a permanent move - and it sounds as though you just want to try it out a bit first?), IEC is probably your only realistic option.

HTH a bit, best of luck.