Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travel to UK with british or canadian passport

Travel to UK with british or canadian passport

Old May 15th 2015, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

sammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud of
Post Travel to UK with british or canadian passport

So I am a British Citizen by birth, moved to Canada in my 30s (and now live in Canada) and now have a Canadian passport. I want to visit the UK so my two questions are, which is better and quicker:

- book my flight with my British passport and when coming back to Canada, I line up in the Canadian citizen line and show both my passports?

or

- book my flight with my Canadian passport and when I enter UK (and line up on the EU line), show both passports and when I come back to Canada show both again?

I'm doing this for the first time, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Old May 15th 2015, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to UK with british or canadian passport

Originally Posted by sammymoko
So I am a British Citizen by birth, moved to Canada in my 30s (and now live in Canada) and now have a Canadian passport. I want to visit the UK so my two questions are, which is better and quicker:

- book my flight with my British passport and when coming back to Canada, I line up in the Canadian citizen line and show both my passports?

or

- book my flight with my Canadian passport and when I enter UK (and line up on the EU line), show both passports and when I come back to Canada show both again?

I'm doing this for the first time, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Book with Canadian passport. Show Canadian one on check in at both ends. On arrival in the UK show UK passport. On arrival back in Canada show Canadian one
Old May 15th 2015, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Book with Canadian passport. Show Canadian one on check in at both ends. On arrival in the UK show UK passport. On arrival back in Canada show Canadian one
This is probably what most people would do.

Alternatively, since UK citizens don't have to enter the UK using a UK passport, you can use the Canadian passport for the entire trip and be stamped into the UK as a visitor. That's what I did the last few times I visited the UK (except I used a US passport). Although you could be stuck in a longer immigration line when entering the UK.

If you're going to use more than one passport during the trip, my only advice is to make sure that you have both passports handy in case you're ever asked to produce the other one for whatever reason. I was once asked why I didn't have a visitor stamp in my foreign passport when I was exiting the UK. I explained that I had entered the UK on my UK passport and was then asked to produce it.
Old May 16th 2015, 12:55 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yeah basically, and at the gate you use the Canadian one as well.

Just commenting because on arrival back in Canada you can use a NEXUS card if you have one, which is what I do.

The transport regs require you to show proof that you have some sort of legal way of entering Canada so that basically forces you to use your Canadian passport at check-in the UK, so that forces you to book the ticket using your Canadian passport. I suppose you could just produce both passports at check-in, but that seems a bit silly.

Last edited by Steve_; May 16th 2015 at 12:58 am.
Old May 16th 2015, 12:57 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Although you could be stuck in a longer immigration line when entering the UK.
Or possibly a shorter one...

Also I think you can use Canadian ePassports in the UK ePassport machines now, or certainly in the near future, I remember reading about it somewhere.
Old May 16th 2015, 6:42 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

Also I think you can use Canadian ePassports in the UK ePassport machines now, or certainly in the near future, I remember reading about it somewhere.
Not yet

Only EU ePassports at the mo..
Old May 17th 2015, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

sammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud of

Thank-you all! You're a fab crowd and I appreciate your guidance. *big hugs*
Old May 17th 2015, 12:16 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Not yet

Only EU ePassports at the mo..
Not quite. You can use your Australian, Canadian, Japanese, New Zealand or US ePassport but you'll need register first and pay £70.

Little point if the OP has a British ePassport though as they can just that to skip the queue.

Last edited by BritInParis; May 17th 2015 at 12:30 am.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:00 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Not quite. You can use your Australian, Canadian, Japanese, New Zealand or US ePassport but you'll need register first and pay £70.

Little point if the OP has a British ePassport though as they can just that to skip the queue.
OK ? from memory the E-passport reader were almost always in the EU passport lines, with 'Others' clearly directed to the booths ?

Having said that the only e-passport reader that seem to work well are those on the continent

Then again I'm mainly flying out of Birmingham and don't use Heathrow that often
Old May 18th 2015, 9:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

OK ? from memory the E-passport reader were almost always in the EU passport lines, with 'Others' clearly directed to the booths ?

Having said that the only e-passport reader that seem to work well are those on the continent

Then again I'm mainly flying out of Birmingham and don't use Heathrow that often
You're quite right - those signs do direct non-EU/EEA/Swiss passport holders to the long queue with the human at the end. Those who are registered however would know that it doesn't apply to them.
Old May 20th 2015, 11:31 am
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You're quite right - those signs do direct non-EU/EEA/Swiss passport holders to the long queue with the human at the end. Those who are registered however would know that it doesn't apply to them.
And by registered , you mean having paid the £70 fee (only valid for 1yr and need to have a valid UK visa)

One question? does that cover you for all UK passport controls(I'm assuming) and what that also cover all Europe (I'm assuming not) or just a couple of places mentioned

FWIW this is of interest as my wife is the Canadian living here in the with a Visa, but has plans to travel in Europe

Last edited by MikeUK; May 20th 2015 at 11:39 am.
Old May 20th 2015, 7:03 pm

And by registered , you mean having paid the £70 fee (only valid for 1yr and need to have a valid UK visa)

One question? does that cover you for all UK passport controls(I'm assuming) and what that also cover all Europe (I'm assuming not) or just a couple of places mentioned

FWIW this is of interest as my wife is the Canadian living here in the with a Visa, but has plans to travel in Europe
This would only cover the UK's ports of entry listed at that link. It wouldn't apply to the rest of the EU.
Old May 20th 2015, 11:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

It costs £70 to apply to use the service for 1 year.
*spits dummy* WHAT??!!

That's ridiculous! A UK passport renewal is only £72.50.

The NEXUS card fee is only $50 USD.
Old May 20th 2015, 11:59 pm

*spits dummy* WHAT??!!

That's ridiculous! A UK passport renewal is only £72.50.

The NEXUS card fee is only $50 USD.
Rip-off Britain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia