Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Transporting horses to Canada

Transporting horses to Canada

Old Apr 17th 2016, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Meg1410 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transporting horses to Canada

Hi, I know there was a thread all about moving horses to Canada but it has now closed and so I can't comment on it? I was wondering if anyone involved (or anyone else) has completed the shipping of horses from the UK to Canada and how much it cost, the logistics etc. I am planning very far I'm advance but we have started having serious discussions about moving to Canada and I can't go without my horses! Thanks all.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 2:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transporting horses to Canada

Welcome to BE.

Threads which are dormant for 12 months are automatically closed. If you use the search function...put horses in 'search titles only' and select the Canada forums you will find many threads. Here are a couple...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...-uk-bc-782368/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...horses-712507/
Old Apr 17th 2016, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I was hoping to message privately one of the people from the threads but can't yet as I am new. I will take another look at the threads. Thanks.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 2:08 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meg1410
Thank you, I was hoping to message privately one of the people from the threads but can't yet as I am new. I will take another look at the threads. Thanks.
Welcome to British Expats

Surely with the exciting thought of moving to Canada you must have lots more questions to ask, and then you will be able to, very shortly, PM the people you were interested in contacting.

Best of luck

Where are you hoping to move to.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 12:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone who rides at the barn where we do operates a horse quarantine boarding facility. I imagine that costs a pretty penny to use and I suppose it's to avoid the quarantine that people commonly fly their horses to the US and trailer them up to Canada. It being desirable to go via the US and to ship horses in threes is all I recall from past threads.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 12:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at the posting history of anyone you're interested in PMing (pop-up menu of you clink on the name next to the post), because if they haven't posted in six months or more they're unlikely to see your post. You could always try the e-mail option, which might still get to them, but they will be able to see your e-mail address too.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Thank you.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be a member on here over 9 years ago though who brought horses from the UK. She settled in Campbellford Ontario and has a horse business there.
Her user name was Tiarabon I think.

Her website is Meadowland Farm - Horse Boarding and Warmblood Breeding in Campbellford, Ontario

You could email her and she may well have some answers to your questions.

Might be worth a try.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 11:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp
There used to be a member on here over 9 years ago though who brought horses from the UK. She settled in Campbellford Ontario and has a horse business there.
Her user name was Tiarabon I think.

Her website is Meadowland Farm - Horse Boarding and Warmblood Breeding in Campbellford, Ontario

You could email her and she may well have some answers to your questions.

Might be worth a try.
Oh yes, I vaguely remember meeting Tiaribbon in a pub. iirc she'd started looking for a horse property in BC, found it unfeasibly expensive and then discovered the Northumberland Hills; a nice area for horse people needing occasional access to Toronto, as noted on a recent thread.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both, will take a look.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MillieF
Welcome to British Expats

Surely with the exciting thought of moving to Canada you must have lots more questions to ask, and then you will be able to, very shortly, PM the people you were interested in contacting.

Best of luck

Where are you hoping to move to.
Hi, well at the moment it is a very distant thought, its been in discussion for a while but we are currently Travelling south America so won't be a reality for a few years yet if it did happen. Thinking BC for the skiing and outdoors and my boyfriend has lived there for a short while previously. Although I'm not sure how active the equine community is around there. So many things to investigate and research!
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

we are currently Travelling south America
On horseback?
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
On horseback?
☺no, I wish! I can barely get my boyfriend near a horse never mind take one around south America! We're in a westfalia ☺
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

☺no, I wish! I can barely get my boyfriend near a horse never mind take one around south America! We're in a westfalia ☺
Ah well, no doubt you can rent a couple of nags to climb up something scenic or to splosh along the seashore.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

donnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond reputedonnydon has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd butt in on this one...

You say you want to bring your horses...are they an unusual breed? or just well loved?

I'm in Alberta and it is Horse country!!
Western and English is popular here, although Rodeo is the winner! Cowboys & girls everywhere!!
If you have a larger breed (ie: Shire or Vanner) then it would be worth looking into more...otherwise, sadly, horses here are a commodity...and due to recent low rain fall and poor harvest, feed is an issue Again this year for ALL the farming community.
Horses and cow's being sent to auction due to feed cost being sky-high and out of reach for some.
And yes, the 'meat man' does buy in large amounts..
$300-500 or less sometimes, per animal, at auction is not unusual...

If you have a highly trained-out of the ordinary horse (dressage, competition jumper or olympic potential) there is a market for stud/brood mare.

I'm told area's of BC are 'horsey' but I'd suggest reading as much as your brain can take!

We moved from Devon approx 2 yrs ago...we now have our own home with 10 acres...and are starting to fence our pasture for animals/maybe 2 horses... it is still something we could never have afforded in the UK.

We made the move for the long term goal of family life, childrens education, cost of living etc...what we didn't sell, we brought with us.

So if not having your horses with you is the barrier...
Research the hell out of the cost involved in moving them...
boarding them until you are settled, have a job, shipped your belongings and so on...

what do you want in life?
If Canada can help you build a life/future, there is ALOT here both in summer & winter.

We don't regret our move but we are in Northern Alberta.
The Rockies are a 3hr drive away!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.