Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax return - Spouse gets refund but I owe small amount

Tax return - Spouse gets refund but I owe small amount

Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future
Default Tax return - Spouse gets refund but I owe small amount

As the title states if my common law spouse has a refund of say $450 and I owe them about $100 does my balance owing just come off the spouse's credit or do I need to pay mine seperately??? I've had a look on the CRA website and it appears the refund/credit is treated seperately but I just wanted to check.

Thanks in advance.

Tim
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:38 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax return - Spouse gets refund but I owe small amount

You have to pay yours separately.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You have to pay yours separately.
Thanks for that......Another quick question.....I can't seem to find the option to pay for it online or will they just send me out a bill?

Tim
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tim010
Thanks for that......Another quick question.....I can't seem to find the option to pay for it online or will they just send me out a bill?

Tim
To pay the tax you owe?

Look to your bank's internet banking. There should be a payee that will be called something like CRA2011 payment on filing.

Or you can try here http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce...u-eng.html?ndv
Old Mar 8th 2012, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

To pay the tax you owe?

Look to your bank's internet banking. There should be a payee that will be called something like CRA2011 payment on filing.

Or you can try here http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce...u-eng.html?ndv
Yes. It's to pay the tax I owe. For the reference number on the internet banking do I simply put my SIN number?

Also for some reason the date of assessment is saying 15th March 2012 when it's only the 8th today....Is that normal?

Thanks again for your help.

Tim
Old Mar 8th 2012, 10:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

Yes, the reference number number is your SIN.

March 15th is the due date of tax installments for 2012. Make sure the payee you have selected is 2011 due on filing.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, the reference number number is your SIN.

March 15th is the due date of tax installments for 2012. Make sure the payee you have selected is 2011 due on filing.
Cool. Thanks for that.

Tim