Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto Visit end of Dec advice

Toronto Visit end of Dec advice

Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto Visit end of Dec advice

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I'm aware of a few interesting looking rub and tugs on Mount Pleasant, but would welcome further information re the above.
You don't find that just standing at the bar in the R&C or the Unicorn results in a stream of offers one wouldn't dare consider?
Old Dec 16th 2010, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I'm aware of a few interesting looking rub and tugs on Mount Pleasant, but would welcome further information re the above.

I live at Y&E and like it. Continue to be tempted by downtown though. There is a very different feel between the two.
Is that why it's named "Mount Pleasant"?
Old Dec 16th 2010, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

sta123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good stuff all. Reading with great interest. Keep it all coming. Manchester is cold today, so my body is adjusting nicely to what Toronto will be for temperature.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sta123
Good stuff all. Reading with great interest. Keep it all coming. Manchester is cold today, so my body is adjusting nicely to what Toronto will be for temperature.
Last night we went for Indian food. To the BBQ Hut, a place in which I've been eating since Indian food was considered rare and exotic in Toronto. It's called the BBQ Hut and not the Shan-I-Hind because, when they opened, they didn't want to scare off the cradles. We stuffed ourselves. Great place, take the Gerrard car to Coxwell and walk back a block and a half, it's on the south side. They have Indian beer, of course, Kingfisher, brewed under license in the UK and imported to Canada. Go fig, as they say here.

If you manage to eat until the morning, walk down Coxwell to Queen and go to the Tulip for breakfast, it's a traditional diner, where everyone eats, men in suits, TTC workers from the yard across the road, the Paradice Riders biker gang. If it's too late for breakfast they also keep a vast array of desert pies.

Neither place will cost an arm and a leg.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

If you do make it to Yonge & Eglinton, here are a couple of pubs to check out:

http://kent.thedukepubs.ca/index-home.php

http://www.roseandcrown.com/Home.aspx

You might run into some Brits - especially in the Duke of Kent.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

workhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're get lucky and get a stretch of mild weather you might get an opportunity to do much of the walking around as suggested above, but if anything like this past Monday or Tuesday in Toronto or perhaps like what you've got up't'north now? you ain't gonna be outside much.
Spend an afternoon or(and) evening bar hopping on College St (Little Italy), scurry around with the suits for a day on the PATH system and surface in various places for pics at Roy Thompson Hall, Eaton Center, Dundas Sq, City Hall & Nathan Philips Square, Bay and King (surely the coldest and windiest four corners in TO). If down on the Harbour Front, have a dim sum lunch at the Pink Pearl. Try a 5pm jar with the after-workers at the Irish Embassy, PJ O'Briens, the Keg on York St, Ki or O & B on Yonge. And don't forget to have a look on ticketmaster.ca to see who's in town - Toronto is the best for seeing UK bands / artists that haven't broken into NA in farty venues for no money.

Have a great time - you're likely to pass where I grew up as a kid on your way to what I knew as Ringway Airport Cheers

Last edited by workhouse; Dec 18th 2010 at 2:16 am.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 1:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by workhouse
Try a 5pm jar with the after-workers at the Irish Embassy, PJ O'Briens, the Keg on York St, Ki or O & B on Yonge.
Chain, chain, chain, chain. And the first one's a plastic bar. Go on, try McVeigh's, the Yard, C'est What?, the HoP and the fabulous Allen's.

On edit, I'm told the second one's plastic too, I didn't even realise it was supposed to be themed.

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 18th 2010 at 1:21 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

workhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Chain, chain, chain, chain. And the first one's a plastic bar. Go on, try McVeigh's, the Yard, C'est What?, the HoP and the fabulous Allen's.

On edit, I'm told the second one's plastic too, I didn't even realise it was supposed to be themed.
So Gwelf has been to town on the GO Train? Kelsey's closed down or summat?
For a visitor to Toronto walking the PATH and wanting to see city bars, they are fine. Suggestions for the benefit of the OP (to Google) but its an open forum so feel free to throw out more expert opinions Martini Boy. You've got a post count to maintain.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 5:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

So Gwelf has been to town on the GO Train? Kelsey's closed down or summat?
I don't think the GO train goes to Guelph, does it?

For a visitor to Toronto walking the PATH and wanting to see city bars, they are fine.
They're ok, the Keg's very much like a Berni Inn. But they're chain places typical of Canadian suburbs, if you want to see what it's like to live in Mississauga or Calgary or Kitchener, then visiting the PATH (a shopping mall) and visiting chain bars will provide that. However, when someone visits Toronto, they may as well see something as unique to Toronto as is available.