Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto Visit end of Dec advice

Toronto Visit end of Dec advice

Old Dec 14th 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto Visit end of Dec advice

Originally Posted by dbd33
In December? Is the idea to test out for living in Thunder Bay?
Er - Toronto Islands are in Toronto - not Thunder Bay. Believe it or not life goes on in December and anyone thinking of living in Toronto will need to deal with life in December. People live on the islands so it's fun to check out that community. It's a fun ferry trip over there and there's a great view of the city. It's also a great place to walk. The Rectory Cafe is open year round and worth a visit.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Dec 14th 2010 at 9:41 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 9:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I don't think it's such a bad idea to stay in North York. You're right on the Yonge subway line and at least you can experience a typical commute to/from downtown (try this at least once during morning and evening rush hours).
I agree with that. Also the OP mentions a relative in Vaughan, from where isn't too difficult to get to the NY Novotel.

Some things I would suggest (remember this is a recce trip and not just your typical tourist trip):

- Ride buses, streetcars and subway (including at rush hour!)
- Wander around downtown and get your bearings
- Harbourfront
- Toronto Islands
- The Beaches
- Eaton Centre (shopping)
- Yorkdale mall (shopping)
- CN Tower (pick a clear day for the view)
- Queen St West (bars and clubs - visit the Horseshoe Tavern)
Almost everything on that list would to my mind be classified as touristy.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I agree with that. Also the OP mentions a relative in Vaughan, from where isn't too difficult to get to the NY Novotel.

Almost everything on that list would to my mind be classified as touristy.
I meant to approach the trip not as a tourist but as someone who is checking things out with a view to possibly living there. So, for example, when exploring neighborhoods, ask if this is somewhere that one could live - and that includes downtown. What amenities are there (e.g. grocery stores etc.)? I also suggested exploring Yonge/Lawrence and Yonge/Eglinton as they are 2 of my favorite neighborhoods.

I think just staying downtown and not venturing out of the downtown core won't help as much. That's why I think staying in North York and being forced to travel around checking out other areas is a good idea.

For the really adventurous, renting a car and driving around the GTA to explore further (e.g. looking at some of the suburbs) might be worthwhile.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Dec 14th 2010 at 9:53 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

sta123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some excellent info by all

I am liking all the varied suggestions and as I am doing a recce for life there. All is been taken on board of the places to go.

Keep it coming, and I think I will print these forum pages off for my friend when I arrive and say here is my plan
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Er - Toronto Islands are in Toronto
Er, yes, I've sailed around them umpteen times. But not in December, even the ride in the dark is closed in December. If you want a nice view of the CNN Tower go and stand on the boardwalk, that offers a choice of nearby places to warm up.

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 15th 2010 at 1:37 am.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

For the really adventurous, renting a car and driving around the GTA to explore further (e.g. looking at some of the suburbs) might be worthwhile.
I think this is the crux of our differing opinions. I'd say Yonge and Lawrence is already a suburb, even Yonge and Eg has an air of Square One about it. Once you're past Bloor it's a bit of stretch to consider yourself to be in Toronto at all. I suggest staying at the Novotel in Toronto rather than North York not for reasons of tourism but because, if you're going to move to Toronto you may as well start off in the city and being based there would be like living in the city. Besides, you can get the feel of North York at minimal expense by spending a day in Milton Keynes, you don't have to actually go there.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Er, yes, I've sailed around them umpteen times. But not in December, even the ride in the dark is closed in December.
Look - it's just an idea. The islands don't close in December. I've visited there many times in winter. You can take a walk (year round). You can eat at the Rectory Cafe (open year round). You can take great photos of the city skyline (year round). It's a residential community (year round) - the OP might even decide it's desirable to live there. The ferry ride (year round) is fun. Who gives a crap if it's cold? It's in Toronto where the OP is thinking of living. Toronto is cold in December. So friggin' what?
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

I think this is the crux of our differing opinions. I'd say Yonge and Lawrence is already a suburb, even Yonge and Eg has an air of Square One about it. Once you're past Bloor it's a bit of stretch to consider yourself to be in Toronto at all. I suggest staying at the Novotel in Toronto rather than North York not for reasons of tourism but because, if you're going to move to Toronto you may as well start off in the city and being based there would be like living in the city. Besides, you can get the feel of North York at minimal expense by spending a day in Milton Keynes, you don't have to actually go there.
Absolute bollox.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

It's a residential community (year round) - the OP might even decide it's desirable to live there.
Bit pointless that. It can't be done.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

Absolute bollox.
Bathurst, Bloor, Bayview extension, Lake, that's Toronto proper, innit? The rest is inner or outer 'burb. Yonge and Lawrence is as much part of Toronto as, say, Woodbridge, it's an ethnic enclave connected to the city by freeway.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Bit pointless that. It can't be done.
Difficult? Yes. Can't be done? Not true.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Bathurst, Bloor, Bayview extension, Lake, that's Toronto proper, innit? The rest is inner or outer 'burb. Yonge and Lawrence is as much part of Toronto as, say, Woodbridge, it's an ethnic enclave connected to the city by freeway.
Again - complete and utter bollox. I lived at Yonge/Eglinton for 4 years. I had a Toronto address. Of course it's part of Toronto.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Dec 15th 2010 at 2:01 am.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 2:08 am
Just Joined

hunsister is an unknown quantity at this point

Although I primarily live in Toronto and have taken guests to some of the places mentioned here (Kensington Market, the Beach (not the Beaches), Yonge and Eglinton (nickname Young and Eligible), Chinatown, Harbourfront, etc), I don't feel that Toronto has very many "tourist-type" attractions. If you want to live in Toronto, do wander around - a couple from out of town in my condo simply head to a different subway stop every weekend and walk around looking at the neighbourhoods. It is a safe and ethnically diverse city. However, my personal choice is the city I spend part of my time in, Vancouver. There, it is more like England, lots of rain and much warmer than Toronto. It is also one of the most beautiful spots in the world. So if your career or retirement allows you to move to another city in Canada, I would highly recommend that you check out Vancouver (and possibly Victoria).
Old Dec 15th 2010, 11:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

Again - complete and utter bollox. I lived at Yonge/Eglinton for 4 years. I had a Toronto address. Of course it's part of Toronto.
Rob Ford has a Toronto address even out in Etobicoke. I know Yonge and Eg passably well, I had a woman who lived on Roehampton for years. It's ok and one will get laid there but it's long way from downtown, very Starbucks and chain bars. The Beach, Leslieville, Cabbagetown, even prissy High Park have a bit more edge to them.

This is, I think, a good guide to the city:

http://www.boldts.net/Toronto.shtml
Old Dec 16th 2010, 3:16 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

It's ok and one will get laid there
I'm aware of a few interesting looking rub and tugs on Mount Pleasant, but would welcome further information re the above.

I live at Y&E and like it. Continue to be tempted by downtown though. There is a very different feel between the two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.