Toronto Move

Old Apr 18th 2017, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Anarchy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toronto Move

Hi All,

I am a recent PR and planning to move to Toronto, I'm from the UK but currently work and live in Singapore. I have applied for a boat load of jobs in the IT sector and not heard from a single one, so I assume this is because I am so far away.

I am now in the phase where I need to think about moving to Toronto without a job and look for one when i'm there. Problem is I have heard its very hard to rent without any credit history and employment which I will have none. I do have plenty of savings but would rather not shell out a full years worth of rent up front especially as I will be unemployed and living on my savings while looking for a job.

Would be good to hear from anyone that has been in the same situation or has some good advice on what my next move should be? Any input appreciated
Old Apr 18th 2017, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto Move

It might be worth looking at the short term rentals section on Craigslist or Kijiji. There are usually a few 3-4 month apartments being offered (particularly over the summer months) and this would allow you to move here without a job / credit history and only have to shell out for a few months rent instead of the full year.

https://toronto.craigslist.ca/search/sub
Find a Short Term Rental in Toronto (GTA) | Real Estate | Kijiji Classifieds
Old Apr 18th 2017, 2:27 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you will have very little luck trying to apply for jobs from Singapore. You will also not likely find anything by applying online, you need to actually make connections. There are a boatload of IT recruiters, I highly suggest you start getting in touch with them (LinkedIn is a good place to start).

As for rentals, yeah, short-term is going to be the way to go to get started. You can also try getting in touch with a real estate agent who specializes in rentals and who might be able to help.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 3:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm know I'm going against the flow here but I work with IT people (as a contractor at a minor financial organization, not at a leading edge software house) who are recruited from all over the world. They arrive, from Bangalore or Manila or wherever, with such haste that they often lack coats and boots.

I think that someone having fashionable skills could work remotely from Singapore and then on site. Someone not having fashionable skills won't have that opportunity but might also struggle to find work once here.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_Zena is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree that you will have little luck in the short term applying from overseas, unless there is a specific skill shortage then they will likely prefer local availability. Before you factor in a move without work you need to consider the costs of remaining here unemployed and the challenges you will face with credit availability. One of the earlier posts highlights that long term rentals will require a credit check. Also remember you will have no Ontario health coverage for 3 months after arrival in addition to Toronto being very expensive.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Anarchy is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool, thanks for the replies. I will check out the short term rentals.