Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

in a tiswas!!!!

in a tiswas!!!!

Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:16 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: in a tiswas!!!!

There was a phantom flan thrower
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:20 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
no not spit the dog or the phantom flan flinger...me after my dream wedding in vegas my kids go of to Ontariio to visit there dad as every summer previously..i then get told a week into there holiday we are staying here and living now..down with a big bang from the high of getting married...i am so devasted..but we then decide to move to Ontario as i have been parted from my kids 2 months and its killin me as any mum will tell u its not easy being apart from your kids...so im in a tiswas because we have 3 dogs and my husband thinks its a great idea to buy a camper and live in it through the winter with 2 of my 3 huge dogs in there with us...until we find a house we both love rather than rush into anything NO way is this happening when my dogs shake there heads u better duck or slobber is gonna go in your face..nice thought in a camper NOT..also way to cold to spend a winter in a camper they arent made for winter living...then we thought we would go on a recce and look as houses at the same time driving from sask to ontario about 24 hours through the states or fly either way gonna cost around $2000..i just dont know what the hell to do cant afford really to do a recce but will need too..has anyone else moved provinces with dogs etc in tow..how have people found moving around etc...any experiences,comments or advice would be appreciated as im at the end of my rope with all this
How old are the kids? Are they old enough to make the decision to stay with their father? Can they legally make this decision? Who has legal custody of them?
Old Sep 11th 2010, 2:07 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Isn't the 3rd dog moving in with Bob Carolgees?
Spit might not like that.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
How old are the kids? Are they old enough to make the decision to stay with their father? Can they legally make this decision? Who has legal custody of them?
The custody part and taking them out of province is interesting. I was at college with someone who had the kids in the week and they went to their fathers at weekends. I think this was joint custody. Anyroad she took a job in Ottawa and the father went to children's court to challenge her moving them just 3 hours away. The father now has custody in the week and she has them at the weekends, this is even after she moved back from Ottawa. Seems the decision was based on her working shifts, that the kids would not have to move schools, find new friends,new hockey teams - and they were asked their preference by the judge.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:42 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I didn't understand a word of that ............... but hope whatever it is gets sorted
I'm guessing the kids are either old enough to make this decision themselves, or the Father has sole custody.

Whatever the details, living in a caravan through the winter in Ontario will be tough.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

hi, my 3rd dog is comming with us too..she just isnt as slobbery as the others...my children are 10 and nearly 17..we have joint custody..although i am the main carer..this was all done in england though,Canada has the most ridiculous law called "the walking law" if the child is 8 or more and can walk to the other parent then they by law can stay..so i have no leg to stand on..and if she wants to stay with her dad..then i dont want to drag her away and then she hates me for it later...i dont feel any of the post have been any help to me and i know about peoples opinions etc..but im sure if any of u were in this position u perhaps would be a little more sympathic with your posts
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

hi, my 3rd dog is comming with us too..she just isnt as slobbery as the others...my children are 10 and nearly 17..we have joint custody..although i am the main carer..this was all done in england though,Canada has the most ridiculous law called "the walking law" if the child is 8 or more and can walk to the other parent then they by law can stay..so i have no leg to stand on..and if she wants to stay with her dad..then i dont want to drag her away and then she hates me for it later...i dont feel any of the post have been any help to me and i know about peoples opinions etc..but im sure if any of u were in this position u perhaps would be a little more sympathic with your posts
Do you have an authority for that, or did your lawyer tell you that down the pub?
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

oh and renting is out the question..as noone is going to rent there property to us with 3 dogs thats why i rehomed my dogs in England before we immigrated here..
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

a lawyer told me that..and not in a pub either
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:49 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

I think people were just a little confused. I wish you the best of luck with this.

I'm sure you've already tried this, but if I were in your position I would try to get the kids and their Dad to understand just how much this will affect you. If he (the Dad) is happy for you to live in a caravan through the winter just so you can be near your kids, you could point out just how selfish he is being.

Would it not just be easier to rent a place for the winter. I'm sure there must be some suitable housing that isn't too expensive. Try looking for something that you know may be empty over the winter. Maybe you could convince the owner to let you rent it instead of leaving it empty.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

I'm sorry the thread went off track but certainly some of us tried to be helpful. My friend's experience in Ontario doesn't seem to fit with a 'walking law'. She was told that the children's wishes are considered but that the court will do what they think is best for them and so may override what they say. In her case neither parent was considered to be better or worse than the other and the children were to stay in the area that they already knew.

As for lawyers, ask another one.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:59 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I'm sorry the thread went off track but certainly some of us tried to be helpful. My friend's experience in Ontario doesn't seem to fit with a 'walking law'. She was told that the children's wishes are considered but that the court will do what they think is best for them and so may override what they say. In her case neither parent was considered to be better or worse than the other and the children were to stay in the area that they already knew.

As for lawyers, ask another one.
I did a quick google on the "walking law" and the only hit I found mentions it applies to kids over the age of 12. If I were you I'd get to the bottom of this and if you have any wiggle room, use it. As fledermaus says, try asking another lawyer.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

I found this interesting list of ages and responsibilities for children in Ontario

http://bit.ly/aDIfeS

You can leave home at 16 it seems.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:25 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John_B
I did a quick google on the "walking law" and the only hit I found mentions it applies to kids over the age of 12. If I were you I'd get to the bottom of this and if you have any wiggle room, use it. As fledermaus says, try asking another lawyer.
I'm lost on this.

If the OP currently lives in Saskatchewan (as per first post in thread) and the ex-husband lives in Ontario, how does this so called "walking law" apply?
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:32 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I found this interesting list of ages and responsibilities for children in Ontario

http://bit.ly/aDIfeS

You can leave home at 16 it seems.
I just read this. Some of the content is quite bizarre.

However, according to this you can live with someone else against the wishes of your legal guardian if you are 14 or older. It doesn't mention this for <14.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.