Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Salary required - Family 4

Thoughts on Salary required - Family 4

Old Sep 21st 2023, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on Salary required - Family 4

Originally Posted by hh619
If you are earning £110,000 for a System Administrator / Infrastructure Engineer role in the UK, you must be a contractor? I work as a contractor in the UK earning circa £650 p/d and I have never seen a role paying above $150,000 for my skillset (DevOps, Cloud Architect. Containerisation, AI) in the whole of Canada, let alone the equivalent.. which would be circa $240,000.

I always have my eye on the Vancouver job market, and for a Sys Admin / Infrastructure Engineer, you'd be lucky to get $110,000. I think the same can be said for the Toronto job market.

Word of advice... keep earning that £110,000 while you can, and start learning AI/LLM/ML.
I suppose based on household income, the OP already belongs to the top 5% earners in the UK with his salary. Hard to beat, if you feel wealthy depends on other things but still something one shouldn't ignore.
Old Sep 21st 2023, 7:34 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry_1990
Hi Everyone,

My and my wife are thinking of moving to Canada with our 2 kids, (3 Year old & 11 Year Old). We have just started looking into it and by the look of it we appear to be eligible for Express Entry.

What salary would people recommend in getting if getting a job offer before we arrive?
I am currently on around £110,000 in the UK, this includes salary & bonus. My wife doesn't work currently and she won't work straight away once we move.
what do you hope to gain by moving to Canada?
Old Sep 21st 2023, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Perry_1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bats
what do you hope to gain by moving to Canada?
a better life for my kids in the future. I’m not a fan of the UK, government are a nightmare. No help for anyone who actually earns money, more I earn more tax I pay which helps over people leave here
Old Sep 21st 2023, 8:24 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

a better life for my kids in the future. I’m not a fan of the UK, government are a nightmare. No help for anyone who actually earns money, more I earn more tax I pay which helps over people leave here
Ah the nebulous better life. You need to think more about how this better life will manifest itself. What will it comprise?? Sports, arts? culture? Where are you thinking of moving to?
It's hard to imagine a bad life on over 100K GBP really and how it might be improved.
Have you looked at income tax in Canada? What kind of government help are you talking of?
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Hemlock is an unknown quantity at this point

'A better life', why do you think they will have a better life in Canada?
What you describe is no different in Canada. No help for anyone who earns a reasonable salary in Canada, the more you earn the more tax you pay. Canadians are more heavily taxed than the British.
The UK ranks 29th for highest tax, Canada 25.
https://wealthmanagementcanada.com/b...s-by-tax-rate/

Life in Canada might be different to the UK, but is it better? That depends who you ask. Governments change, what any government is doing now, is not a predictor of what a future government will do.
If this is what is important to you, I would suggest significantly more research before moving.
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 9:49 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of help are you thinking of ?
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What kind of help are you thinking of ?
The OP previously wanted to move to the Orlando FL, then Houston TX. Maybe just desperate to get out of the UK and anyone who is desperate will make themselves believe it's better elsewhere.
Everyone pays taxes and governments change, that's the help we all have:-).
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 11:50 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The OP previously wanted to move to the Orlando FL, then Houston TX. Maybe just desperate to get out of the UK and anyone who is desperate will make themselves believe it's better elsewhere.
Everyone pays taxes and governments change, that's the help we all have:-).
Certainly, moving to Canada because you don't like the tax burden in the UK is unlikely to end well. Taxes being as high or higher here.
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 12:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Certainly, moving to Canada because you don't like the tax burden in the UK is unlikely to end well. Taxes being as high or higher here.
I was thinking the same thing, US doesn’t make sense either.

Perry_1990 , it’s often said on BE that it’s better to move because you love a country, rather than moving for the perceived negatives of the one you leave behind, as often you’ll find the same problems are in any first world country. But if paying taxes are your main reason for wanting to leave the UK then I’d look elsewhere - why not the UAE or somewhere like Singapore?
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada's government isn't any better than the UK- there is nowhere you can go to right now the way the world is, where you can guarantee a better life.
Canada is in a right mess right now.

If you move to Canada and are looking for an IT job, there is an area outside of Ottawa where a lot of IT companies are, stay away from the fed gov jobs unless you are fluent in Canadian French (Parisian French doesn't cut it here).
Old Sep 25th 2023, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

cardozolto is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply, it is really helping me.
I will take a look at the open work permit, as you say hopefully it does increase to 35 as they will help. My wife is a year older than me by 1 year so unfortunately we can't apply for that yet.

My wife hasn't worked since 2019 as we have a baby, In the past 10 years she has worked for 4 years as a pharmacy assistant. Do you know if her points can be added to mine?
You can also look at the option of applying for the IEC work permit through a Registered Organisation, such as "Go International". They may sponsor your IEC application, eligible up to 35y/o. Costs in the order of CAD3K though.
Old Sep 25th 2023, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hemlock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cardozolto
You can also look at the option of applying for the IEC work permit through a Registered Organisation, such as "Go International". They may sponsor your IEC application, eligible up to 35y/o. Costs in the order of CAD3K though.
They want $3249 for an application that one could do their own for $261?
I believe you will find the upper age limit is 30 from the UK, not 35.

Last edited by Hemlock; Sep 25th 2023 at 10:29 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2023, 1:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned above, I've had some involvement with computing in Canada. Long term contractor/owner of software company/pimp/currenty employee of financial institution. And by "pimp" I mean long term supplier of reputable professionals in a consulting capacity. In my current postion, as an employee, I make about $200,000 which is a living wage in southern Ontario if you have a working spouse. I have an army of quality professional contractors working for me (not as a pimp, I'm an employee of their client) they bill $100-$130 hour. By way of comparison, up to two years ago, when I took an actual job, I used to take occassional contracts in the UK, usually for a large British telecommunications company, I billed them my usual rate but in pounds instead of dollars and they were unflustered. Rates are low around Toronto, compared to the UK, and brutal everywhere else, but then houses are cheaper.

People value different things. I see emigration to Canada as a decision to sacrifice family, culture and fashion for an extra bathroom. If you already have provision for all your family to crap simultaneously then there's not much of a case for going.

Old Sep 26th 2023, 1:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
If you move to Canada and are looking for an IT job, there is an area outside of Ottawa where a lot of IT companies are, stay away from the fed gov jobs unless you are fluent in Canadian French (Parisian French doesn't cut it here).
As the father of several francophone children born and educated in Canada who speak Parisan French, one of whom is an employee of the Feds, I can say, with authority, that this is bollocks. Merde, if you will.
French language schools in Canada beat the joual out of their students..
Old Sep 26th 2023, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

cardozolto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hemlock
They want $3249 for an application that one could do their own for $261?
I believe you will find the upper age limit is 30 from the UK, not 35.
Worse yet you still have to pay the Gov't fees on top of that. I believe they will help you up to 35 though so it's an option if you are in that age range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.