Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on moving from NS to BC

Thoughts on moving from NS to BC

Old Feb 26th 2015, 5:32 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on moving from NS to BC

Originally Posted by Lychee
Don't underestimate how large the province is!

Attachment 121028

Attachment 121027
Not that much different in practical terms. The whole of Southern England occupying about the same area as the populated bit of Southern BC. In terms of places you might drive to or holiday at, a very similar scale. The only proviso is that you would need to wedge in (to Southern BC) Canada's entire population to meet the same population density as England.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

galaxyandminstrels is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Scilly for your post and information. Interesting to note your comparisons of people from the Maritimes compared to BC. We certainly would go actively pursuing jobs in the UK so maybe people in general from BC are more comparable to the UK? I have a friend who lives in NS but is from BC and she certainly found it difficult to settle here initially.
I think we will have to narrow down our search area before we arrive. We initially were coming for a vacation but with my recent thoughts it will have to be a vacation come checking areas out! Practically I think Vancouver Island may not work for us and I know our budget would not stretch to living anywhere close to Vancouver and we certainly could not cope with a long commute and traffic. I am very fortunate to live just 5 mins drive away from work. We have lots to give up if we were to make the move so its a huge decision. Maybe I will feel better about NS once the weather is better! Lol!
Old Feb 26th 2015, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galaxyandminstrels
Thanks again Jossie for the information, it is most helpful. I am a RN. I currently work in a local nursing home which I love so would be looking for a similar job. I also have a small number of private foot care clients so it is possible I would continue to do that also.
I am looking for full time RNs currently for residential care. One for Kamloops and one for Penticton. I will send you a private message later this evening when I have more time. As far as the RV trip goes, are you planning on renting an RV here or are you driving from Nova Scotia with your own? We have done lots of RV trips over the past 8 years around BC so I can give you lots of info.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

galaxy .......

you have certainly had a rotten winter ................

but it really hasn't been that much different from the last 15 winters ........... except that I gather it has been warmer than usual, hence the freezing rain rather than snow.

We were over there for Christmas .............. we always travel back and forth by train, so I packed my winter boots and trousers into the checked baggage.

We have spent 6 Christmases over there, and this was the first one in which I did not wear either the boots or the trousers!

we've been there in blizzards, nor'easters, and the whole shebang! Except ............ we missed the big hurricane Juan in 2003.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jossie
I am looking for full time RNs currently for residential care. One for Kamloops and one for Penticton. I will send you a private message later this evening when I have more time. As far as the RV trip goes, are you planning on renting an RV here or are you driving from Nova Scotia with your own? We have done lots of RV trips over the past 8 years around BC so I can give you lots of info.
I would be most grateful for some information re RN positions.

We fly into Calgary and are picking up our rental there.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:01 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

The wineries are becoming more and more prominent and are beating out regions like the Napa Valley for the quality of the wine.
Really? Do you have a link to news about this?

IMO Kamloops is great as well but not in the same league as the Penticton / Kelowna area.
What league? Perhaps qualifying this claim might help the OP.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scilly
galaxy .......

you have certainly had a rotten winter ................

but it really hasn't been that much different from the last 15 winters ........... except that I gather it has been warmer than usual, hence the freezing rain rather than snow.

We were over there for Christmas .............. we always travel back and forth by train, so I packed my winter boots and trousers into the checked baggage.

We have spent 6 Christmases over there, and this was the first one in which I did not wear either the boots or the trousers!

we've been there in blizzards, nor'easters, and the whole shebang! Except ............ we missed the big hurricane Juan in 2003.

This is our 5th Winter and for some reason its been the hardest for me. I am just finding the cold and the ice just horrible. I don't even want to venture out at the minute!!!

Last Winter seemed to go on and on!!

Yes you can wrap up warm and make the most of it but at this point I say bring on the Spring!!
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

my daughter is fed up with this winter!
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
We live in Penticton, 30 mins south of Kelowna. .... To give you some idea of climate, the temperature here has been around 10 degrees for the past month or so and golfers have been playing for the past few weeks.
Actually the daytime temperatures for the "last few weeks" are absolutely no indication of the climate, merely the weather in the "last few weeks".

Climate data is easily available from Environment Canada

Canadian Climate Normals 1981-2010 Station Data

...and as you see the normal February day time high is about 5C and the normal night time low is about -3C.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Feb 26th 2015 at 7:33 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

this has been a very weird winter ....................

it's been either warm and very wet or warm, dry and sunny on the coast.

I wore my winter jacket yesterday for the first time in several weeks .............. only because it was raining.

Temperatures have been about double the normal average on many days

I gather we are in an El Nino year ........ but I certainly would not base my understanding of BC's climate on this winter alone!
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do it....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/br...pgu#.sxl59YQrZ
Old Feb 26th 2015, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Actually the daytime temperatures for the "last few weeks" are absolutely no indication of the climate, merely the weather in the "last few weeks".

Climate data is easily available from Environment Canada

Canadian Climate Normals 1981-2010 Station Data

...and as you see the normal February day time high is about 5C and the normal night time low is about -3C.
Ok so the normal daytime high for Feb is +5 and this year it is 9 or 10?? It is slightly warmer this year. Is this cold by Canadian standards for February?
Old Feb 26th 2015, 8:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so the normal daytime high for Feb is +5 and this year it is 9 or 10?? It is slightly warmer this year. Is this cold by Canadian standards for February?
The average for this February has been 8.3C high and 0.9C low. Daily Data Report for February 2015

We all know that BC has had an unusually mild winter this year, but that's got nothing to do with climate.

You do know the difference between weather and climate don't you?

It's a bit like the difference between anecdote and science.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R I C H
Really? Do you have a link to news about this?
Okanagan named second-best wine region to visit | CTV Vancouver News http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2013/10/04/c...s-worlds-best/

Originally Posted by R I C H
What league? Perhaps qualifying this claim might help the OP.
The IMO league as I indicated - just my opinion and the opinion of many people that I know. The OP will have to visit both areas and decide if either one ticks all of the boxes.

Last edited by jossie; Feb 26th 2015 at 8:43 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The average for this February has been 8.3C high and 0.9C low. Daily Data Report for February 2015

We all know that BC has had an unusually mild winter this year, but that's got nothing to do with climate.

You do know the difference between weather and climate don't you?

It's a bit like the difference between anecdote and science.
You avoided my question. Is a normal Canadian daytime high of 5C in February cold by Canadian standards? What is your pointless?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.