Reload this Page >

Thinking about a move

Thinking about a move

Old Apr 17th 2017, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Stuartmur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about a move

Hi Everyone

My name is Stuart, I've just returned from a holiday in Toronto with my family. We have talked about moving for a few years but this visit really has us considering it seriously.
I hope to chat soon.
Stuart
Old Apr 17th 2017, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about a move

Hi welcome. I live near Toronto. What particularly appealed to you? It's of course different living here compared to a holiday.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 12:42 am
Just Joined

Stuartmur is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for the welcome. I guess it felt enough like London not to be alien to me. I like city life but it felt cleaner than London and more open. We saw some of the problems like the homelessness and the housing prices. We also loved the diversity.
I understand totally that a holiday is different to living somewhere but we just had to get some sense of what Canada is like and to have a good time, which we really did.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuartmur
Hi, thanks for the welcome. I guess it felt enough like London not to be alien to me. I like city life but it felt cleaner than London and more open. We saw some of the problems like the homelessness and the housing prices. We also loved the diversity.
I understand totally that a holiday is different to living somewhere but we just had to get some sense of what Canada is like and to have a good time, which we really did.
I get that.

As many would say here the first thing is to ensure you can get a visa. Have you looked st your options?
Old Apr 17th 2017, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved from London (UK) to Toronto area over 20 years ago, and I have no regrets on.
the move. I worked downtown Toronto for over 15 years but commuted on the train to work. Again the London kind of setup.
Greater Toronto Area has a population of approximately 8 million people so it has the same feeling of London like you mentioned. Ontario has approximately 40% of Canada economic base, so there is more choice for employment.
Good luck what ever you decide.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 6:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As the Welcome Inn is for Intros and Welcomes and this has already developed into more of a conversation , I will move this over to the Canada forum for everyone.

Welcome to the wonderful world of BE Stuartmur. May all your postings be happy ones

thanks
BEVS
Old Apr 18th 2017, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!

If you're 'seriously considering moving', then your first stop has to be considering how you might qualify for either a work permit or permanent residency. Have you looked into these?

Canada has a great many routes in, but not many of them are easy. Ideally you'll be young (30 or under), degree educated or higher, with several years of skilled work experience. You don't necessarily need that full package, but lacking one generally means you need to make up for it in another.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 11:21 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome.