Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

Old Mar 15th 2017, 6:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I found raclette at the Yummy Market on Maj Mac in Vaughan the other day. Similar in price to St Lawrence market but easier to get to. They had quite a selection of other cheeses too.
Vaughan's not easier for me but that's interesting, where was it from?
Old Mar 15th 2017, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Really? I always thought Starbucks worked out the same or cheaper out here
The Sun would seem to agree with you. https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/3082...ill-shock-you/

Last edited by Teaandtoday5; Mar 15th 2017 at 6:45 pm. Reason: Forgot the link
Old Mar 15th 2017, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Vaughan's not easier for me but that's interesting, where was it from?
Can't remember. But I favor French over Swiss so I'm going with French. I'm heading that way tomorrow. I could stop in again if you like?
Old Mar 15th 2017, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Really? I always thought Starbucks worked out the same or cheaper out here
A friend of mine said it was 3pound 50 for a Starbucks in the UK! I couldnt imagine paying that for a coffee here! That said I dont go to Starbucks.....usually Tims for me. I mean 6 bucks for a coffee!!! that would put it at the same price as a pint of beer and that is just plain wrong!
Old Mar 15th 2017, 9:39 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Real good quality maple syrup (as against fake 'table syrup') actually appears to be the same price or less in the UK.

As for 'Council Tax', at my last house in the UK it was a fraction of the $6000 that I pay here in a 'standard' single family home.

The highest Band H Council Tax in the UK anywhere is less than $6000 in today's money. Even for a huge mega-mansion.
$24 a litre?
Old Mar 15th 2017, 9:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't remember. But I favor French over Swiss so I'm going with French. I'm heading that way tomorrow. I could stop in again if you like?
In truth there's no real point, I'm a slave to the Olympic cheese stand.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

In truth there's no real point, I'm a slave to the Olympic cheese stand.
Stuck in your ways eh?
Old Mar 15th 2017, 10:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Stuck in your ways eh?
Yes. Through four marriages (or equivalents), six houses, several horses and umpteen cars I've been going to the Olympic cheese stand. I'm in a rut in that regard.

But, the people are friendly and they were super in stopping to feed piles of cheese to my autistic daughter even during the Saturday morning crush. For that they've had my custom for 30 years; I don't even look at what they have at the parvenu stand across the floor.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 11:56 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
The Sun would seem to agree with you. https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/3082...ill-shock-you/
Interesting article.

Thanks for posting
Old Mar 15th 2017, 11:58 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Through four marriages (or equivalents), six houses, several horses and umpteen cars I've been going to the Olympic cheese stand. I'm in a rut in that regard.

But, the people are friendly and they were super in stopping to feed piles of cheese to my autistic daughter even during the Saturday morning crush. For that they've had my custom for 30 years; I don't even look at what they have at the parvenu stand across the floor.
I go to Olympic too, mainly because of the flirting and cheese samples. Their stock cheddar is good too.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

I get that. It's not about being stuck in your ways really. It's about having a relationship with these guys. It makes sense! I think it's lovely you have been there all that time, it's lovely to have some traditions in life.

We should get together and eat raclette!!!
Old Mar 16th 2017, 1:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

I get that. It's not about being stuck in your ways really. It's about having a relationship with these guys. It makes sense! I think it's lovely you have been there all that time, it's lovely to have some traditions in life.

We should get together and eat raclette!!!
Raclette eating is always a fine idea but, be warned, I'm not keen on that drinking tea with it that they do in Switzerland. Besides, I read here that one cannot obtain decent tea in Canada.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
$24 a litre?
Decent stuff is about $35-$50 in Canada.

I took some over as a gift, only to find the same bottle was about 25% cheaper in the UK
Old Mar 16th 2017, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Raclette eating is always a fine idea but, be warned, I'm not keen on that drinking tea with it that they do in Switzerland. Besides, I read here that one cannot obtain decent tea in Canada.
I heard that too. Must be the water...

To me raclette must be eaten with a nice glass (or three) of white wine or beer!

We could finish the meal with a tarte au fromage blanc. All eastern France for me which is where I spent my teens!
Old Mar 16th 2017, 7:13 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It may be that I've assimilated but fifty bucks a fortnight doesn't seem an awful lot to spend on cheese and that gets a pound and a half of raclette, two 4" camemberts, a pound of seven year white cheddar, a piece of whatever looks interesting this week and lots of PC or Balderson's extra old cheddar for cooking with. That's less than half what it costs to have a glass of plonk a couple of nights a week.

The cheese problem, as I see it, is not the cost but that there's only the St Lawrence market at which to buy it. I do pass a cheese shop on the way there but, for the difference in price on the few cheeses they have, I could take a limo to the market and back. If you're not able to go to the market, obviously not a problem from Hamilton, but certainly one from Manitoba or Saskatchewan, you're buggered.
There's a couple of quite reasonable cheese stalls at Hamilton Farmers Market in Hamilton Centre on York..

Hamilton Farmers' Market | Sam & Son International Cheese
Hamilton Farmers' Market | Jantzi Cheese

Plus Starsky's have over 600 types of cheese, so perhaps worth a visit sometime.
Starsky Food - Cheese Department

As to more expensive, it depends what you like.. I don't find things that expensive here and I don't spend any more here than I believe I would in the UK for a similar basket of food. My sister is over from the UK and said that the prices are comparable with some things costing a little more and others a little less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.