Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is there anything like Sky tv in Canada?

Is there anything like Sky tv in Canada?

Old Apr 29th 2016, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Emulinka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is there anything like Sky tv in Canada?

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Most of your big 'Sky' tv shows (GOT, Broadwalk empire etc.) are HBO shows so you will need a HBO subscription in Canada. It costs a pretty penny, mostly because its bundled with the movie channels, but I must admit it is the one cable show worth having.

BBC shows can be difficult as the BBC will sell the rights to different shows to different networks. I got a little cross over the situation with the new War and Peace this year after it was sold to A&E who then only showed the first 2 parts on History in Canada then moved it to the living channel in the US.
I do like HBO shows, thanks for the info. Can you get bbc I player with a VPN?
Old Apr 29th 2016, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MillieF
Over in Vancouver you probably have lots of alternatives, where I am, in NB, we either have Rogers or Bell, which are both eye wateringly expensive and pretty dire. If I never see another North American reality TV show, I will die happy.

My family are too thick, lazy or mentally challenged to sort out VPN, I just want to push a button and get 'Telly'. It's more the noise than anything else, and I prefer the noise to be moderated vowel sounds!

I suffered Rogers for three years, but moved to Bell a couple of months ago, when they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I now get Netflix and am in 7th heaven. I don't watch a lot, but it's got all sorts of things - lots off BBC dramas, and nice documentaries, The Rise of Continents and Secrets of Great British Castles come to mind. Bell also has better stations for Do it yourself and Cookery stuff, but it's generally garbage (see I'm talking Canadian!) Better kids channels too, with Horrible Histories, The Deadly 60 and other non brain rotting kid stuff. I wished I had changed before.

Best of luck
Thanks for the info, I think I should be ok for telly, just had such a bad experience with Canadian hotel cable😀
Old Apr 29th 2016, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by withabix
No, its all the same everywhere.

Dire and expensive.

$200 per month for the closes equivalent to 90% of a full Sky package including 25MB internet and local phone (we pay per call for long distance).

The channel and content selection here is dire - nothing like the selection in the UK.

They catch you with the channel bundles - if you want to watch the approx. 10 most popular channels, you need to pay for 7-8 channel bundles.

We watch as much BBC iPlayer as we watch Canadian telly, however the UK Government will be putting a stop to that later this year...
Oh dear!
Old Apr 29th 2016, 1:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emulinka
Can you get bbc I player with a VPN?
Yes but there are plans afoot to stop that.

As you may have gathered by now there are countless options (most haven't been mentioned yet) many of them needing nothing more than an HDMI cable or thumb-drive to enable watching on TV.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 2:39 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Most of your big 'Sky' tv shows (GOT, Broadwalk empire etc.) are HBO shows so you will need a HBO subscription in Canada. It costs a pretty penny, mostly because its bundled with the movie channels, but I must admit it is the one cable show worth having.

BBC shows can be difficult as the BBC will sell the rights to different shows to different networks. I got a little cross over the situation with the new War and Peace this year after it was sold to A&E who then only showed the first 2 parts on History in Canada then moved it to the living channel in the US.
But you woudnt need to subscribe though if you used for example Kodi as you would stream it at zero cost and watch what you like.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
I have Mobdro on an android box and reliably get Sky, although some are Irish Sky, it's the same programming.

I will check out this app
Old Apr 29th 2016, 5:23 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

You can get an app called Film On, it streams live UK TV. No add ons no VPN just put the app on yah phone or tab and it's done
Old Apr 30th 2016, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by magnumpi
You can get an app called Film On, it streams live UK TV. No add ons no VPN just put the app on yah phone or tab and it's done
Sounds great, I'll look into it. Thanks
Old May 3rd 2016, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

jaguar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, moving over to Vancouver Island this summer and was wondering what's the best way to watch some uk telly. I've only watched hotel cable in Canada which seemed to have a lot of reality programs about tattooing and a lively version of family fortunes! Any advice appreciated.
Ya know, Sky is actually crap. Hundreds of channels filled with nothing. Plenty of alternatives without subscribing to the Canadian rip off merchants who provide much the same crap. Using a VPN is very simple. Go to google or apple store and look for 'Hola'. Install it on google chrome, very easy to do, just click install and bingo, it's there. Now, next to the address bar, top right, you will see a 'flaming cartoon head' If it is greyed out, it is switched off, if it is red, it is on. Now, click on it, tell it where you want to browse from. If you choose the UK, it will fool the servers into thinking you are in the UK and so open up all the UK content for you. Now you can watch all your fav UK progs on the likes of iTV player, BBC iPlayer, more 4,etc. For the rest and for very little money compared to the big package providers, you can use the likes of Netflix (which has now somehow blocked VPN's, but still plenty of content) and Crave TV. Then of course there is Youtube and if you want to be a bit naughty, no end of hosting sites that give you full series of dramas and latest films. They can be a bit of a pain though as quality isn't always brilliant and when you click play, they spawn shed loads of pop ups which are all scams. Just close those down until they stop popping and then play your selected content. A good one is tunemovies.is, for example. The one thing you will need is an internet connection and unless your TV is a smart TV, use your laptop to play the shows. Connect to your tv via a HDMI and change inputs on your tv and bingo, you're away.
Old May 3rd 2016, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.
Old May 3rd 2016, 4:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaguar
...Go to google or apple store and look for 'Hola'. ...
Even though it's highly recommended not to...

Or is that old news and no longer a consideration anymore?
Old May 3rd 2016, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

laddo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, moving over to Vancouver Island this summer and was wondering what's the best way to watch some uk telly. I've only watched hotel cable in Canada which seemed to have a lot of reality programs about tattooing and a lively version of family fortunes! Any advice appreciated.

I use a VPN and just watch BBCiplayer
Old May 3rd 2016, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

i get all the BBC, ITV and channel 4 stations. No VPN just a box with Kodi on it, Plug n play. Plus a lot of Canadian and American channels, plus all seasons/episodes of just about every TV show and unlimited movies whether UK or Nth American.
Kodi is the way to go for me.
Old May 4th 2016, 1:31 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The main cable company out west is Shaw and they have a lot of their staff on Vancouver Island, followed closely by Telus.

You can go with satellite if you insist but there's no real advantage if you can get cable.

The more logical solution if you live in Victoria is to put up an antenna and get the US channels OTA. I'm not sure what Canadian OTA channels there are in Victoria but there must be at least the four main networks I'd assume.

So buy a TiVo for a few hundred bucks and basically there's zero cost after that.

Hook up the TiVo to the internet (which you have to anyway to download the channel guide) and you can run Youtube and Netflix through it. There's 40+ OTA channels in NW Washington.

If you want to watch British TV then you get into all kinds of silliness. "VPNs" are not VPNs, they're called that because you use the VPN client in Windows to connect to their proxy. Basically it substitutes a UK IP address so you can watch stuff using the TV channel's website media player, but those usually require a UK address or other authentication nowadays.

Meh. Frankly I think it's a waste of time but each to their own. One piece of advice - BBC Canada is total wank, don't bother.

Anything half decent on UK TV is on Canadian TV anyway as well as total crap like Coronation Street which is on CBC.
Old May 4th 2016, 1:36 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
But you woudnt need to subscribe though if you used for example Kodi as you would stream it at zero cost and watch what you like.
Kodi is just a media player, when people say they use it to watch stuff for nothing, what they mean is they've got a plug-in which is either a proxy or is connecting to a torrent or whatever.

There's no real practical difference to a person using a proxy or using a Bittorrent client. You may as well just go to The Pirate Bay for all the difference it makes.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Which is obviously patently illegal - also in Canada it's not like in the US where they don't really give a crap what you run over your internet connection. They do a reasonably good job of identifying illegal downloads and then pester you with copyright infringement e-mails, for all the good it does. Not sure if they would ever actually cut you off, my neighbour said he's had hundreds of those e-mails from Shaw.

Last edited by Steve_; May 4th 2016 at 1:39 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.