Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is there anything like Sky tv in Canada?

Is there anything like Sky tv in Canada?

Old Apr 28th 2016, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Emulinka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there anything like Sky tv in Canada?

Hi, moving over to Vancouver Island this summer and was wondering what's the best way to watch some uk telly. I've only watched hotel cable in Canada which seemed to have a lot of reality programs about tattooing and a lively version of family fortunes! Any advice appreciated.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 12:46 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anything like Sky tv in Canada?

Do you want specific UK TV programs to watch or are you wanting the same experience as you get on Sky - Ie House renovation shows, buy it or sell it type things etc etc

If you want specific UK programs many seem to watch them through a vpn or catch up on Netflix (I go for Netflix, I don't do the VPN thing).

If you want something like Sky but are not specifically after UK programs then your cable TV package will likely meet your needs... W channel, HGTV etc etc
Old Apr 28th 2016, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Do you want specific UK TV programs to watch or are you wanting the same experience as you get on Sky - Ie House renovation shows, buy it or sell it type things etc etc

If you want specific UK programs many seem to watch them through a vpn or catch up on Netflix (I go for Netflix, I don't do the VPN thing).

If you want something like Sky but are not specifically after UK programs then your cable TV package will likely meet your needs... W channel, HGTV etc etc

Thanks for the reply, I'm just looking for a cross section of entertainment, films, sit coms, drama, documentaries etc. I will look up the cable companies you suggested.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 1:39 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emulinka
Thanks for the reply, I'm just looking for a cross section of entertainment, films, sit coms, drama, documentaries etc. I will look up the cable companies you suggested.
Over in Vancouver you probably have lots of alternatives, where I am, in NB, we either have Rogers or Bell, which are both eye wateringly expensive and pretty dire. If I never see another North American reality TV show, I will die happy.

My family are too thick, lazy or mentally challenged to sort out VPN, I just want to push a button and get 'Telly'. It's more the noise than anything else, and I prefer the noise to be moderated vowel sounds!

I suffered Rogers for three years, but moved to Bell a couple of months ago, when they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I now get Netflix and am in 7th heaven. I don't watch a lot, but it's got all sorts of things - lots off BBC dramas, and nice documentaries, The Rise of Continents and Secrets of Great British Castles come to mind. Bell also has better stations for Do it yourself and Cookery stuff, but it's generally garbage (see I'm talking Canadian!) Better kids channels too, with Horrible Histories, The Deadly 60 and other non brain rotting kid stuff. I wished I had changed before.

Best of luck

Last edited by MillieF; Apr 28th 2016 at 1:41 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

You should look at the "Android TV Box' thread, Some are "plug and play" i think so no set up. I get lots of UK TV just not sky, there isn't a reliable app that can decode Sky, There are apps that can do it just they are not seemingly reliable. Unlimited TV and Movies so check that thread.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Over in Vancouver you probably have lots of alternatives, where I am, in NB, we either have Rogers or Bell, which are both eye wateringly expensive and pretty dire. If I never see another North American reality TV show, I will die happy.

No, its all the same everywhere.

Dire and expensive.

$200 per month for the closes equivalent to 90% of a full Sky package including 25MB internet and local phone (we pay per call for long distance).

The channel and content selection here is dire - nothing like the selection in the UK.

They catch you with the channel bundles - if you want to watch the approx. 10 most popular channels, you need to pay for 7-8 channel bundles.

We watch as much BBC iPlayer as we watch Canadian telly, however the UK Government will be putting a stop to that later this year...
Old Apr 28th 2016, 4:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emulinka
Hi, moving over to Vancouver Island this summer and was wondering what's the best way to watch some uk telly. I've only watched hotel cable in Canada which seemed to have a lot of reality programs about tattooing and a lively version of family fortunes! Any advice appreciated.
Even the basic cable package will include Knowledge Network. This is a made in BC public television station. It carries quite a lot of UK drama and documentaries. I am not sure if KCTS (the Seattle public TV station) will be included on the most basic package but if it is there are also a number of UK shows on this.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
You should look at the "Android TV Box' thread, Some are "plug and play" i think so no set up. I get lots of UK TV just not sky, there isn't a reliable app that can decode Sky, There are apps that can do it just they are not seemingly reliable. Unlimited TV and Movies so check that thread.
I have Mobdro on an android box and reliably get Sky, although some are Irish Sky, it's the same programming.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 4:21 am
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute

kodi, kodi, kodi, KODI

Last edited by BritCanadaNewbie; Apr 29th 2016 at 4:24 am.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you live on the Prairies theres nothing but SKY.
Perhaps a move to Montana as that states motto is BIG SKY COUNTRY.

Oooops sorry didn't see the tv part
Old Apr 29th 2016, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If you live on the Prairies theres nothing but SKY.
Perhaps a move to Montana as that states motto is BIG SKY COUNTRY.

Oooops sorry didn't see the tv part
Sounds great!
Old Apr 29th 2016, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie
Thanks.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
I have Mobdro on an android box and reliably get Sky, although some are Irish Sky, it's the same programming.
That's great, I'll look into it. Thanks.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Even the basic cable package will include Knowledge Network. This is a made in BC public television station. It carries quite a lot of UK drama and documentaries. I am not sure if KCTS (the Seattle public TV station) will be included on the most basic package but if it is there are also a number of UK shows on this.
Thanks, looks like I've got quite a few possibilities.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Most of your big 'Sky' tv shows (GOT, Broadwalk empire etc.) are HBO shows so you will need a HBO subscription in Canada. It costs a pretty penny, mostly because its bundled with the movie channels, but I must admit it is the one cable show worth having.

BBC shows can be difficult as the BBC will sell the rights to different shows to different networks. I got a little cross over the situation with the new War and Peace this year after it was sold to A&E who then only showed the first 2 parts on History in Canada then moved it to the living channel in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.