Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tenant in Canada moved to UK, but did not pay last month's rent

Tenant in Canada moved to UK, but did not pay last month's rent

Old Aug 29th 2015, 10:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenant in Canada moved to UK, but did not pay last month's rent

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well you need to verify it otherwise collecting it is pretty pointless!

The name and DoB matches the DL or Passport (assuming it is unlikely that good forgeries are being used merely to rent a house - sure, it is possible but bit excessive). And then taking up an employment reference would verify the name, unless the prospective tenant had also given the employer a flase name. ...... And all bits of data need to match when a credit check is done anyway. ..... I wouldn't worry if there is an inconsistency, I'd just discard the application and move on to the next one.

If the responses I'm getting from you lot are consistent with what the OP was doing, I am only surprised that the OP lost one month's rent, because if that lax approach is typical for Canadian landlords, I would imagine that ripping off your landlord is a national passtime in Canada!
How does mr/mrs Ordinary 'verify' a passport? Have you got all those gadgets that various legal authorities use that pick up the security features? And know all those secret features to look for?

And when you've done all that checking before accepting a tenant, more time has passed and you've lost rental income.

As many have said you have to strike a balance. It also depends on whether you have multiple units/a business or you're just renting out a single property/unit.

You must have had some very bad experiences in life to make you so distrustful of people.

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 29th 2015 at 10:29 am.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 10:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Credit checks don't seem to be all that common in BC, I've never had a landlord do one anyhow in the time I've been here.
In my time here I've seen 15 tenants (I think) come and go. Two left without paying the last month.

One of those two also left me with a hefty repair/clean up bill - she was the one who stayed over 5 years, never had any trouble from her and the most thorough checking of her wouldn't have predicted what would happen 5 years later.

I've had some fantastic tenants including, I suspect, some who might not have made it through some of the checks suggested.

I've never had a landlord contact me nor have I done so myself. I do what checking I can on line for obvious stuff - and found some things about a couple of people that put me off.

The only 'check' I ever experienced was one of the animal places checking it was okay for the tenant to have one of their cats.

You could lose rental income while making these checks and risk what might otherwise be a good landlord/tenant relationship by being overly fussy and distrusting.

Maybe it's something that works better in some places than others.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I had a tenant once who skipped out on paying council tax.. Didn't affect me but he had the two commonest names you could think of for forename and surname in Wales and left a false forwarding address or at least moved on very quickly from there. He also appeared to leave his job too. Not sure if they ever recovered their money. I use an agency to vet my tenants and they check employment and references and run a financial check. If they collect any of the above it certainly doesn't get passed on to me. Note this chap was checked over too but I guess there's always a first time.

Even if you had a passport number/national insurance number there is surely nothing legal that could be used to obtain whereabouts by a member of the public..

The tenant pays the council tax in the UK? In Canada the landlord is responsible for paying municipal taxes.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 4:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
The tenant pays the council tax in the UK? In Canada the landlord is responsible for paying municipal taxes.
Yes, "property" taxes are levied on the occupant in the UK, not on the property owner.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 7:10 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by colchar
The tenant pays the council tax in the UK?
Sometimes. Crazy isn't it? The idea that the user of the services provided by the tax is the one that pays. Whatever next.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 9:12 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I would set bats on him-in the "Crazy ideas when young" on the Maple Leaf forum- you put a contract out on him. You won't get money back but justice will be served. I'm not sure she is up to working transcontinentally quite yet, I think that she would probably want to practice locally to get her hand in before moving to bigger/ more distant jobs
Originally Posted by BristolUK
Beat me by 6 minutes
Thank you for the employment suggestion, I trust I can give you both as referees?
I woul obviously have to charge expenses, travel, food, lodgings, equipment, that sort of thing. I can't start this weekend tho. I'm busy.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 9:19 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Thank you for the employment suggestion, I trust I can give you both as referees?
I woul obviously have to charge expenses, travel, food, lodgings, equipment, that sort of thing. I can't start this weekend tho. I'm busy.
Well, neither of us has seen evidence of your handiwork/ abilities so your references may be a bit bland/ generic.. As for Macarre, they are in Alberda and despite the current financial situation there, they have said that they will be more than generous and have volunteered first class air travel...which is nice
Old Aug 29th 2015, 9:27 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Well, neither of us has seen evidence of your handiwork/ abilities so your references may be a bit bland/ generic.. As for Macarre, they are in Alberda and despite the current financial situation there, they have said that they will be more than generous and have volunteered first class air travel...which is nice
Ooo that would be nice. I need an assistant and think your medical skills would be ideal. Do you have your own trenchcoat?
Old Aug 29th 2015, 9:46 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a dab hand with a scalpel which might help... No, I haven't got a trench coat but presumably if I got one it would be tax deductible. Bats and Stinky.... Has quite a nice ring to it
Old Aug 29th 2015, 9:53 pm
Oscar nominated

... No, I haven't got a trench coat...
Ask BritInParis. Alain Delon isn't wearing his in the avatar so it might be available.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 11:14 pm
limey party pooper

I'm a dab hand with a scalpel which might help... No, I haven't got a trench coat but presumably if I got one it would be tax deductible. Bats and Stinky.... Has quite a nice ring to it
It does, we could have that in gold lettering on the door window so that it reflects onto the pavement in a shimmer. I think that would look awfully good in the opening credits of the movie.

Re the trenchcoat, get a good one, Burberry say, and the rough it up a bit to make it looked lived in. You better get a hat too, a fedora. Though If you're going for the Alain Delon look then a Borsalino. I loved that movie.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 11:35 pm
I need a walk

I'm preferring this look.. Quite debonair do you not think boss?
Attached Thumbnails Tenant in Canada moved to UK, but did not pay last month's rent-image.jpg  
Old Aug 29th 2015, 11:39 pm
I need a walk

This I think would be a good look for you...
Attached Thumbnails Tenant in Canada moved to UK, but did not pay last month's rent-image.jpg  
Old Aug 30th 2015, 12:00 am
limey party pooper

I'm preferring this look.. Quite debonair do you not think boss?
Do you slobber much? I hate slobber

This I think would be a good look for you...
Well for weekends yes, something more streamlined for the week I think.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 1:44 am
I need a walk

No I do not!
That is your assassins gear... I felt that it was very appropriate. I just track your prey. You do the dirty deed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.