Reload this Page >

Temporary import of UK Car for 2-year contract in GTA

Temporary import of UK Car for 2-year contract in GTA

Old Dec 3rd 2014, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

OffToOntario is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary import of UK Car for 2-year contract in GTA

Hi,

I've been offered a 2 year contract in the Toronto area, and it seems like a great opportunity to live in a pretty cool place. I don't really want to sell my current car as I'd like to use it when I get back. Ideally I'd like to not buy a car only to sell it 2 years later in Canada. I've seen from the transport canada website it is possible to bring a car in as a temporary resident as long as you take it back when you leave. However this leaves a few questions:

-Does anyone have any experience of doing this?
-I've heard horror stories of insuring right hand drive cars - does anyone have any tips with this?
-Does anyone have any other useful tips or advice?

Thanks so much!
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary import of UK Car for 2-year contract in GTA

Did some very quick (and rough) calculations, based on the cost of shipping your car two ways, plus ridiculous insurance costs, plus very hard to get parts if required, and came to the conclusion you'd probably be cheaper to rent a car. Rough cost for car rental would be about 600 a month including insurance. Probably less if you got a lease deal.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 9:27 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OffToOntario
Hi,

I've been offered a 2 year contract in the Toronto area, and it seems like a great opportunity to live in a pretty cool place. I don't really want to sell my current car as I'd like to use it when I get back. Ideally I'd like to not buy a car only to sell it 2 years later in Canada. I've seen from the transport canada website it is possible to bring a car in as a temporary resident as long as you take it back when you leave. However this leaves a few questions:

-Does anyone have any experience of doing this?
-I've heard horror stories of insuring right hand drive cars - does anyone have any tips with this?
-Does anyone have any other useful tips or advice?

Thanks so much!
I'm fairly sure it's not even an option... A car has to be quite old before you're allowed to bring it over- think vintage type car!
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

It can be done and isn't too difficult, you're allowed your own vehicle regardless of age if you're a temporary resident - the length of the temporary importation is a maximum of 36 months

i would however weigh up the costs of putting your own car in storage in the UK vs shipping it over and going through the process of temporarily insuring it

You may get a better deal on a lease vehicle over here (very commonly done) and then you won't have to worry about buying/selling either way!
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

personally i would store the vehicle in the UK and get a 24 month lease vehicle here.
The cost and hassle of bringing a UK spec vehicle over for at most two years doesnt seem worth it.
you can lease a brand new vehicle for 24 months here or take over a lease when you arrive.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
you can lease a brand new vehicle for 24 months here or take over a lease when you arrive.
The OP's zero Canadian credit rating may put a stop to that idea.

I imported my Land Rover Defender permanently (hopefully), although it is currently here temporarily as I am a TFW at the moment.

To answer the OP's question, YES, you can do it and the vehicle does not have to be over 15 years old. That age restriction only applies to the permanent import of vehicles.

However, you cannot sell, give away or allow anyone else (other than your spouse/children) to drive the vehicle.

The vehicle MUST be exported at the end of the period OR destroyed. You cannot sell it, give it away or part it out. It must leave Canada or be crushed.

Fully comprehensive insurance will cost you A LOT, 'A LOT' varies across Canada, but budget on $3000 per year and you won't get a shock later...

Transport of the vehicle will cost you a minimum of 1000 GBP each way from Southampton to Halifax on its own, plus insurance at typically 5-10% of the value of the vehicle. You can get it shipped to Montreal, but I believe that would have to be in a shipping container and that could add at least another 1000 GBP each way.

If the vehicle gets selected for inspection at Port, that will probably cost you another $500 in handling fees.

You normally have to clear the vehicle through Customs yourself, either at the port or transported 'In Bond' in a shipping container to a CBSA Port of Entry location near you, such as an airport. Ours arrived in Montreal, but cleared Customs at Kelowna airport, for example. You can get an Agent to clear it, but that will cost you lots of $$$$ as well.

The car will have to be scrupulously cleaned before shipping to satisfy Environment Canada (inspected at Port of arrival). Think a half day of pressure washing or a couple of hours steam clean with wheels off etc, so that there is not a trace of dirt on the vehicle, otherwise they will relieve you of about $1000 to clean it again before it is released.

Last edited by withabix; Dec 4th 2014 at 12:01 am.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 1:02 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Unit to mention all that salt on the roads. Rust bucket central.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
The OP's zero Canadian credit rating may put a stop to that idea.
Have to say, this is the opposite of my experience

A lot of my colleagues who came from the UK around the same time as me went into lease vehicles and had no problems - Ford Focus's, Toyota Rav4s and Chevy Equinox's - not the most inspiring vehicles ever, but a means to an end for sure...and three manufacturers who definitely offer short term leases to new-arrivals
Old Dec 4th 2014, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest for a bit of fun going into a UK garage and asking them how much to install a block heater on your car as you will need to plug in the car during the winter.
Watch for the reaction unless the mechanic has spent a winter in Canada.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'd buy a used car and sell it when I left. Or lease one if you can. I wouldn't want to drive a right-hand drive anyway. You also have to consider maintenance (e.g. getting parts) and what the weather and road salt will do to your car.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 4:46 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for just buying something used and then selling it at the end of two years. IT would be much simpler and cheaper.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
you will need to plug in the car during the winter.
is this true in the GTA?

last winter my car didn't see a single plug in here in Calgary, only day it struggled a little bit was the -56 with windchill day, and that was because i needed a new battery
Old Dec 4th 2014, 6:25 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's true for GTA. My car (2013 Hyundai Elantra) and Mom's car (2011 Lexus ES350) were both fine in the winter, even this past winter which was ridiculous. Dad's car (2011 VW Jetta TDI) did need to be plugged, though, because of the diesel engine.

As long as you've got a normal gas/petrol engine you should be just fine. Just leave the car running for a few minutes before driving off. (It only needs a few minutes.)
Old Dec 4th 2014, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the Vancouver area most places in Canada can and do receive sporadic cold weather be it be for a few days (GTA) or months Manitoba and Saskatchewan. All it needs is the one day when the car is not plugged in and it wont start. Many do survive without plugging in but why risk it if you dont watch the weather on a regular basis. In 3 days we have gone from minus 30C to minus 7C. My car was plugged in.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 7:36 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
is this true in the GTA?

last winter my car didn't see a single plug in here in Calgary, only day it struggled a little bit was the -56 with windchill day, and that was because i needed a new battery
In Ontario you dont need to and most people dont bother. A block heater will arguably save you gas, and definitely the vehicle interior will heat up a lot sooner. I will maybe save some wear on the engine in the long term as you wont be grinding metal on metal while the oil gets thin enough to do its job, but most owners wont see that benefit. Mostly its just reducing the load on the starter and battery vs starting a cold car, but if you have a dying battery then you are screwed whether you have a block heater or not.

Neither of my current vehicles have a block heater installed, but Ive had them in the past.

As far as the OP goes, if you are only here for 2 years its not worth the hassle of importing a vehicle I suspect. If you have the cash buy a used vehicle and sell it on again when you leave. You should be able to lease, but then you are on the hook for millage penalties and wear and tear, plus insurance will likely be more on a brand new vehicle.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 4th 2014 at 7:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.