Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Temp agencies, do they ever work?

Temp agencies, do they ever work?

Old Nov 23rd 2014, 1:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temp agencies, do they ever work?

. Entry level is minimum wage. It says so on the link you gave.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 1:59 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use temping ages straight after university.

The problem with temp work is it is just that.

The money can help you tick over but not knowing where the next temporary gig is coming from makes it hard to plan any sort of future that requires some finance.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 6:56 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

i went temping while trying to get back into the workforce after being home for years. It worked out for me. My first gig was $16 per hour and it's just gone up from that.

How is your MS office etc?

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Nov 23rd 2014 at 7:00 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 7:01 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

BCIT : : Office Administrator with Technology Program (OAT): Full-time, BCIT/Industry Partnership Certificate this programme has an excellent placement rate
Old Nov 24th 2014, 9:19 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
i went temping while trying to get back into the workforce after being home for years. It worked out for me. My first gig was $16 per hour and it's just gone up from that.

How depressing! I too started temping here.....I had lots of experience and got the 'better and more well paid' gigs....$ 12 per hour....that's really good for NB!
Old Nov 24th 2014, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

I signed up with agencies. Most don't get back to you, and you will need to be proactive in your approach if you actually want to get any work, regular calls to see if they have work. That's the hardest part, to get in. Once you're in and continuously do a good job they'll select you for placements over someone who has just submitted a resume and done nothing else.

My last role was through a temp agency, did a good job and they were more than happy to help me get more hours etc
Old Nov 24th 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF
How depressing! I too started temping here.....I had lots of experience and got the 'better and more well paid' gigs....$ 12 per hour....that's really good for NB!
wow, i was making that in retail. that's shocking.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 8:07 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

wow, i was making that in retail. that's shocking.
You won't get more than $10 in retail here...it's supply and demand...and we have a lot of supply!
Old Nov 25th 2014, 9:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am lousy with Microsoft office, I can fill in the blanks on excel if a spread sheet has been created, but have no idea how to make a spread sheet or anything else in excel. I can do limited word stuff, but nothing on par with what would be needed to work in an office.

I'll take further look at the link you posted, looks interesting and might be an option for me.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 3:52 pm

yes, please do because they are very good skills to have.

Vancouver community college also has an admin assistant course that has a co-op placement. I know some people have got into my company via that course. Make sure it's VCC NOT vancouver career college, the private one.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 7:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Can't recall if I have suggested this before, but what about mental healthy charities or the public sector. Both tend to take a more understanding view of people with disabilities. You seem to be good with handling nfkrmation and smart, so some kind if ffice based desk job where you don't need to deal with the public or get stressed would probably be a good fit.
I haven't had much luck in getting an office job of any sort. Public sector pretty much anything would be good, but I am not sure how to get a job with a public sector employer, I have tried on many occasions, but I think you need to know someone already there to get into it, or my background is just not good enough.

Even tried to get a job at ICBC in their call center, but no go.

I think it all stems down to no degree and limited experience in anything outside of the airline and hotel industry.

Aside from 8 months at Target in 2003, 2 years in retail from 96-98, and a seasonal holiday job for Nov/Dec for 3 seasons, all my experience is in various airline jobs (ramp, customer service, weight and balance) and night auditor at hotels.

Hotels I just need out of, I am so burned out and miserable that I can't effectively be a good employee in a hotel, I loathe hotel work now. Takes a special personality to do it long term.

I'd go back to an airline if the opportunity comes around again, its the only industry I can say 100% without a doubt, I enjoyed working in and going to work each day. Just not a stable industry, and so much has been outsourced now, not many jobs left outside of corporate, pilot and flight attendant.

*add that I also did hotel loss prevention (fancy name for security guard) for 10 months at a large upscale hotel in San Diego as well. Didn't actually mind that job.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 2:58 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I haven't had much luck in getting an office job of any sort. Public sector pretty much anything would be good, but I am not sure how to get a job with a public sector employer, I have tried on many occasions, but I think you need to know someone already there to get into it, or my background is just not good enough.

Even tried to get a job at ICBC in their call center, but no go.

I think it all stems down to no degree and limited experience in anything outside of the airline and hotel industry.

Not sure how much nepotism still exists in Canada. But these days I would imagine there are, as in the UK, lots of systems in place to prevent this. No need to write it off so soon though, just keep plugging away at it and you might find an area which would suit you perfectly. If you can find a charity to work for that may be a good stepping stone. As Zoe's recent thread on vegetarianism suggested, charities can often be idiosyncratic and poorly run, so for someone with a non-standard background that may represent an opportunity. Mental health charities, for example, look favourably on individuals with MH issues.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 5:01 pm

jsmith i gave you two good course options that will get your foot in the door. you should look into them.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 5:02 pm

my company, which ironically is british, is hugely nepotistic.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

jsmith i gave you two good course options that will get your foot in the door. you should look into them.
I am looking into them, going to go in next week to see what I need to do so meet the entry requirements and more info on the program.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.