Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Temp agencies, do they ever work?

Temp agencies, do they ever work?

Old Nov 22nd 2014, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Temp agencies, do they ever work?

Has anyone ever been successful in using a temp agency to find work?

I have signed up with a number of them and other then the initial sign up interview never hear anything.

Curious if anyone has had success.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 6:10 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temp agencies, do they ever work?

Got my Job through one.
But I'd say I was lucky.
I'd signed on with a few. Never heard anything from them. Got a personal recommendation from friend and her contact just so happened to have a job I was qualified for

It was temp led to permanent.

One agency was honest enough to say that if I didnt call her every couple of days to say that I was still available for work then they'd forget about me
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 6:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I have signed up with a number of them and other then the initial sign up interview never hear anything.

Yes. I had lots of temp work when I first left college. Every agency I signed up for got me work the next day. I liked it because you never really had to do much plus, I fiddled my hours up to about an extra 15 hrs. Plus, I took very long lunchtimes and usually left early. But I was in the US and lived in a city that had many corporate headquarters so there was lots of work about. The secret I found was to brush up on your typing speed, fiddle your CV and go the the agency interview with a properly fitted suit.

You're a big lad so why not try and find some security work?

Last edited by Oink; Nov 22nd 2014 at 6:46 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 6:47 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

over the last 10 years both of our kids have had success with the agencies - from just temping, to, temp -to-perm. One of them went from temp through the agency onto contract work with the employer, who then offered full time permanent employment. He left because he found a better job with better pay.

I guess some folks may like temping over FT jobs, even working two or three (PT) part time jobs

Many employers don't advertise, they use agencies because of the time, effort & resources it takes. Also the agency does the screening & is on the hook to make sure the position is always filled.

Our daughter secured a Fed govt job through an agency.

Of course sometimes insiders within a company get their family & friends in
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 6:58 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You're a big lad so why not try and find some security work?
lots of those jobs around & pay more than minimum wage. Get to wear a smart uniform, little knowledge required sitting at a desk or standing inside a bank

The other line of work which generally the newer poor English speaking immigrants do, is the 'inside the store' 'gas stations' Simply take money, give out lottery tickets... clean, warm as toast work, minimal hassles, busy one minute, dead the next. One of my neighbours from India, wife & two kids works a day factory job till 4 pm, at 5pm he works till midnight at the nearby gas station. Home, then back he goes at 7am to his day job.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 7:41 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
lots of those jobs around & pay more than minimum wage. Get to wear a smart uniform, little knowledge required sitting at a desk or standing inside a bank

The other line of work which generally the newer poor English speaking immigrants do, is the 'inside the store' 'gas stations' Simply take money, give out lottery tickets... clean, warm as toast work, minimal hassles, busy one minute, dead the next. One of my neighbours from India, wife & two kids works a day factory job till 4 pm, at 5pm he works till midnight at the nearby gas station. Home, then back he goes at 7am to his day job.

(...meaning WTF...)
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 8:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Other than needing to be licensed.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 8:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Other than needing to be licensed.
I realize that now. You even have to have permit to own and wear body armour. What a load of bollocks.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 8:50 pm
Dichotomus tinker

OP, here you go ...

Security Guards job - Concord Security - Kamloops, BC | Indeed.com

http://www.workbc.ca/JobSeekers/Disp...02&from=Search

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/securityindustry/

Last edited by not2old; Nov 22nd 2014 at 9:03 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 9:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I realize that now. You even have to have permit to own and wear body armour. What a load of bollocks.
My husband was a security guard when we first arrived. Another minimum wage job.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 9:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by bats
My husband was a security guard when we first arrived. Another minimum wage job.
Maybe back when. Today the pay is above minimum wage

Security Guards and Related Occupations (NOC 6651-D) - Lower Mainland - Southwest Region, British Columbia - jobs (local) - Job Bank

or this line of work

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/report-eng....2&action=final

Last edited by not2old; Nov 22nd 2014 at 9:51 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 11:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where you get the above min wage bit. The job bank has Median wage of $14, so some will be min wage and other higher.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 3:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input.

I have thought about security and have done it before in California before and its simple job, larger companies pay better then smaller.

The licensing requirement in BC is a road block because of mental health past, currently not possible to be licensed, its been a hurdle for the training and jobs I would like so I am starting from scratch as to things, tired of hotels since the jobs pay low and suck.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I have done quite a bit of temping work over the years, both in the UK and Canada, in various office admin positions. When I made the permanent move to Vancouver in 2009 I signed up with as many agencies as I could and within two weeks of arriving I started work on a temp job. Initially they offered me three months of work, but I was told it could go longer.

Within six weeks of starting, the employer offered me a maternity cover contract for a year. Three months later I was offered a permanent role. Two months after that I got the opportunity to move up to a role in a different department. Three and a half years later I took another step up to a role in another department.

I've worked for the employer for almost 6 years now. For me, temping was a great foot in the door

Last edited by adele; Nov 23rd 2014 at 6:37 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 7:39 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input.

I have thought about security and have done it before in California before and its simple job, larger companies pay better then smaller.

The licensing requirement in BC is a road block because of mental health past, currently not possible to be licensed, its been a hurdle for the training and jobs I would like so I am starting from scratch as to things, tired of hotels since the jobs pay low and suck.
Can't recall if I have suggested this before, but what about mental healthy charities or the public sector. Both tend to take a more understanding view of people with disabilities. You seem to be good with handling nfkrmation and smart, so some kind if ffice based desk job where you don't need to deal with the public or get stressed would probably be a good fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.