Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax Returns - Canada

Tax Returns - Canada

Old Mar 29th 2015, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Returns - Canada

I just helped my daughter file her first Canadian tax return. She used Simple Tax to file electronically. It was indeed simple and it was also free.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Marko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond repute

Great, il have a look at simple tax also then. How ling does it take to receive the return if you are of course due one?
Old Mar 30th 2015, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

I used Studiotax.

I have been working here from September also - the software made it pretty simple - so simple I thought there was something wrong lol.

I haven't heard back from them yet, so I don't know if I have made a mess of it yet though!

As a first time application, I couldn't file online - I would imagine it's the same for you, so you will have to mail in your application. Subsequent applications you should be able to file online.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Marko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so you did yours on Studio tax and printed the forms and send this with a copy of you T4's as evidence?

Its strange how you cant do it online for your first time too?!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 3:47 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marko86bfc
Ok so you did yours on Studio tax and printed the forms and send this with a copy of you T4's as evidence?

do a search as I'm fairly certain that changed recently
Old Mar 30th 2015, 4:07 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
do a search as I'm fairly certain that changed recently
Not when I tried with ufile. It still said first time returns had to be mailed as CRA don't have all your details
Old Mar 30th 2015, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Ok so what was it you sent to them your t4's and anything else?
Old Mar 30th 2015, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so what was it you sent to them your t4's and anything else?
Studio tax filled in all the forms, I printed those out, attached my T4 and sent that. I linked my wife's return to mine and sent that also (she doesnt work)
But as I think I'm under the limits I don't think it made any difference.

Zoe Bell - first timers have to post in a return as the CRA don't have their details yet. After the first return, subsequent returns can be online.

Unless there have been dealings with the CRA prior to first filing and then they would have your details and you could file online.

Last edited by Eddmac; Mar 30th 2015 at 5:03 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ok Eddmac, so you basically printed and signed the forms they come out with on studiotax and then sent this along with copies of your T4?

Sounds easy, just thinking for me it may be a little tricky as im not a Canadian citizen yet (work permit) and its my first one and so was thinking it may have been a better option to go with an accountant?
Old Mar 30th 2015, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok Eddmac, so you basically printed and signed the forms they come out with on studiotax and then sent this along with copies of your T4?

Sounds easy, just thinking for me it may be a little tricky as im not a Canadian citizen yet (work permit) and its my first one and so was thinking it may have been a better option to go with an accountant?
Yes that's exactly what I did.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, here on a temp work permit while my PR application is in process.
I was going to pay someone to do my returns also, but my work colleagues advised me not to waste my money. Unless your return is complicated, with lots of incomes from lots of sources and you are claiming lots of things, I wouldn't bother - of course it's totally up to you.

I suppose when I hear back from CRA I will know if I made the right choice or not lol
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:01 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

you can set up an account to file online ... I think.

I knew I'd seen this somewhere before where I told people you couldn't and someone corrected me

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...-788420/page2/

see post 18
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
you can set up an account to file online ... I think.

I knew I'd seen this somewhere before where I told people you couldn't and someone corrected me

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...-788420/page2/

see post 18
Based on my own experience, I had to file a paper return, as I couldn't file on-line due to them not having any info on me. OP is more than welcome to try, but I'm pretty sure he wont be able to complete that application on-line.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:07 pm
Professional Cat herder

For what its worth I think you are right, it's just that last time I said that I was told I was wrong ... I tend to remember those moments
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys im doing it right now through studio tax.

im literally going to copy the T4's send them and the form it provides to the address in Surrey, BC I think it says here.

Do you have to send copy of your passport also so they have identification of you as its my first time?
Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Not when I tried with ufile. It still said first time returns had to be mailed as CRA don't have all your details
I recently helped my daughter with her first Canadian tax return. I called CRA and asked if it was possible for a first time filer to file online. The answer was 'Yes' but it is also controlled by the tax software you use (some have not been updated to allow this). Simple Tax allows first time filers to file online. There are still some restrictions e.g. first time filers can't get a refund by direct deposit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.