Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax questions or accountant in Alberta

Tax questions or accountant in Alberta

Old Aug 19th 2016, 12:50 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax questions or accountant in Alberta

Originally Posted by Fred Louise
I don't have a Facebook account believe it or not I guess I should get with the times and will ask my son to help me look into it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I've only had a FB account since my Mum died 4 years ago, there was family shit going down...My sister only signed up 2 months ago when my Niece had a baby lol
Old Aug 19th 2016, 12:51 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not go into the CRA in Red Deer and ask them what they actually need?
Old Aug 19th 2016, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

If I understand correctly, the issue is that the acquisition value of the property for CGT is different for the UK and Canadian calculations because the UK uses the value when you bought the property and the Canadian calculation is based the value at the time of moving to Canada.
I would submit proof of the value of the property at the time of moving together with proof of the sale price to enable them to verify the Canadian tax due. If you send the UK tax documentation too, I would mention the different acquisition value used for the UK calculation in your cover letter to avoid any confusion. HTH.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 2:44 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Is your accountant any good? Can they help someone in another province?

I'm getting quite stressed by this and don't know what to do.

The CGT was not off my principle but a small flat we had sold before moving here.
I am confused. If you sold the flat before moving to Canada why are you showing this on your Canadian tax return?

The CRA want to see proof that the foreign tax paid is your actual foreign tax liability. This essentially means they want to see both of your UK tax returns that cover the calendar year they are auditing and HMRC's Assessment of these returns. They also want you to show your calculation of the tax credit you have claimed in Canada (including form T2209 and T2036 if relevant).
Old Aug 21st 2016, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Fred Louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Yes I'll call them this week I think - the more I read the more confused I get. I'm just worried that they will not be helpful or worse, think I'm doing something wrong. Quite stressed.

Last edited by Fred Louise; Aug 21st 2016 at 6:15 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
If I understand correctly, the issue is that the acquisition value of the property for CGT is different for the UK and Canadian calculations because the UK uses the value when you bought the property and the Canadian calculation is based the value at the time of moving to Canada.
I would submit proof of the value of the property at the time of moving together with proof of the sale price to enable them to verify the Canadian tax due. If you send the UK tax documentation too, I would mention the different acquisition value used for the UK calculation in your cover letter to avoid any confusion. HTH.

Thanks, this helps a lot
Old Aug 21st 2016, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I am confused. If you sold the flat before moving to Canada why are you showing this on your Canadian tax return?

The CRA want to see proof that the foreign tax paid is your actual foreign tax liability. This essentially means they want to see both of your UK tax returns that cover the calendar year they are auditing and HMRC's Assessment of these returns. They also want you to show your calculation of the tax credit you have claimed in Canada (including form T2209 and T2036 if relevant).
It settled when I was here, so there was still a nominal difference but regardless, I'm not showing it on the Canadian tax return, the issue is the amount of tax I paid overseas is HIGHER than the foreign tax credit I am claiming, Because I paid tax on the capital gain BUT didn't claim that amount (given it's not relevant on my Canadian return).

How will they reconcile it?
Old Aug 21st 2016, 7:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It settled when I was here, so there was still a nominal difference but regardless, I'm not showing it on the Canadian tax return, the issue is the amount of tax I paid overseas is HIGHER than the foreign tax credit I am claiming, Because I paid tax on the capital gain BUT didn't claim that amount (given it's not relevant on my Canadian return).

How will they reconcile it?
You need to show them how you calculated the amount you claimed.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

I just saw your signature :O

Thanks JonboyE - I will submit it then with a paid worksheet (I thought this might be the case but have been stressing like crazy)

I'll call the CRA later today too
Old Aug 25th 2016, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Thanks for this suggestion, PP. I called them and after a couple of tries, got through to someone who was very helpful.

Said I just had to do a worksheet with all the workings, and if there wasn't enough, they would simply ask me for more.

I asked if they could advise me on the accountant stuff, and they said it wasn't necessary as long as I put together my worksheet.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 3:37 am

That's excellent. I do find in most cases, helpfulness from official type people.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Piff Poff - the thing was I rang a few times and got so many different answers, but finally found a helpful chap. I'm still nervous but just going to give what I have