Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax confirmation again t1135 😀

Tax confirmation again t1135 😀

Old Feb 24th 2017, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax confirmation again t1135 😀

Quote:

'Actually i just noticed that the t1135 form actually asks what the value of the property was during the year and at the end of the year, so wouldn't i have to put down the entire value rather than my share?

No, they want the cost of your share. For tax purposes your cost is your share of the market value on the day you moved to Canada converted at the exchange rate ruling on that day. Unless you do some major renovations the maximum cost and the year-end cost will be the same. If you never do any renovations it will be the same every year.

Just searched and came across this Q and A from last year which I don't remember seeing previously so just sharing again to confirm it.
So for the T1135, if the value of my UK house exceeded $100k when I moved to Canada - let's say $500k equivalent on the day I moved over - that is the figure I insert in Box 5 for both Max cost during Year and cost amount at end of year, assuming I carry out no renovations in the year? And this figure will remain the same every year (assuming no work done)?
And for income, the figure I work out from my tax sheet (income minus costs)?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 6:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax confirmation again t1135 😀

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Quote:

'Actually i just noticed that the t1135 form actually asks what the value of the property was during the year and at the end of the year, so wouldn't i have to put down the entire value rather than my share?

No, they want the cost of your share. For tax purposes your cost is your share of the market value on the day you moved to Canada converted at the exchange rate ruling on that day. Unless you do some major renovations the maximum cost and the year-end cost will be the same. If you never do any renovations it will be the same every year.

Just searched and came across this Q and A from last year which I don't remember seeing previously so just sharing again to confirm it.
So for the T1135, if the value of my UK house exceeded $100k when I moved to Canada - let's say $500k equivalent on the day I moved over - that is the figure I insert in Box 5 for both Max cost during Year and cost amount at end of year, assuming I carry out no renovations in the year? And this figure will remain the same every year (assuming no work done)?
And for income, the figure I work out from my tax sheet (income minus costs)?
That looks like my prose. Yes, it is still valid. The income will be the same as on your T776 rental schedule.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax confirmation again t1135 😀

Thank you for taking time to confirm 😀