Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

taking cheese to canada

taking cheese to canada

Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default taking cheese to canada

is it possible to take cheese (e.g. pasturized cheeses such as stilton and cheddar) into canada if you declare it on your customs forms?

I know unpasturized stuff like brie is not allowed but i'd like to take some english cheeses for my christmas trip to canada.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 12:41 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: taking cheese to canada

Originally Posted by chanceUK
is it possible to take cheese (e.g. pasturized cheeses such as stilton and cheddar) into canada if you declare it on your customs forms?

I know unpasturized stuff like brie is not allowed but i'd like to take some english cheeses for my christmas trip to canada.
If you declare it I think it will be taken from you. Unless you're bringing in a substantial quantity it's probably better you don't declare it, as most people don't.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 1:26 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

no problem, I have my mum bring over a round of stilton every Christmas she visits
Its all OK as long as its for personal consumption
Not declaring and being caught with an illegal product can carry a very hefty fine watched a little old dutch lady get stuck with $5000 for a tulip bulb

But watch for issues in the UK such as foot and mouth, during outbreaks of disease they do impose restrictions on dairy products, check the web site
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/fpa-apa/law-loi-eng.html
And the section on foot and mouth
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...2001-11e.shtml

Another piece of advice, use the governments web site for legal information, you’ll tend to get opinions rather than facts here on BE
Old Dec 4th 2009, 3:24 pm

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: taking cheese to canada

no problem,we have just brought back about 3 kg of stilton and cheddars,just declare it and they are happy .....
Old Dec 4th 2009, 3:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

My OH used to go to the US every week to buy milk cheese and eggs, never a problem coming back.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

ok thanks everyone

i can stock up on stilton and declare it without worry.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Aviator
My OH used to go to the US every week to buy milk cheese and eggs, never a problem coming back.
Did you have to pay extra taxes the border to bring it back? Or did you get through without having to declare?
Old Dec 4th 2009, 11:26 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcuz
Did you have to pay extra taxes the border to bring it back? Or did you get through without having to declare?
She used to just tell them what we had and was on her way. There is a limit though, $25 I believe. No taxes on foods in Canada.

I would always declare what I am bringing in, otherwise one risks latex gloves, vehicle being dismantled (you have to reassemble yourself, keep tools handy), loss of vehicle or financial penalties.

The other week I flew in and had purchased some some new sunglasses (wearing them) $250 worth, showed the receipt at POE and they waved me though. Never can tell.

Last edited by Aviator; Dec 4th 2009 at 11:28 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 2:24 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

As I won't be going home anytime lately anyone know where to get the best stilton in Vancouver? I like a bit of that for my tea over Christmas time.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Aviator
She used to just tell them what we had and was on her way. There is a limit though, $25 I believe. No taxes on foods in Canada.

I would always declare what I am bringing in, otherwise one risks latex gloves, vehicle being dismantled (you have to reassemble yourself, keep tools handy), loss of vehicle or financial penalties.

The other week I flew in and had purchased some some new sunglasses (wearing them) $250 worth, showed the receipt at POE and they waved me though. Never can tell.
Cool. Never knew that. So I can bring food (and I guess non alcoholic drinks) back and will not get taxed on it? Good info thanks.