Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Switching between accents

Switching between accents

Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice
Default Switching between accents

Hi Everyone,

I was just curious how many of you that have been here a while now tend to switch between accents. I generally just like sounding like me. (Londoner) However, I am guessing switching between both may have its advantages when you live here? I recently have made a friend from the UK here but she has been here for over 10 years now. When she talks with me, her strong Leeds accents comes out, when she is speaking to Canadian she comes out with a strong Canadian accent. lol I have also met a few other brits here who tell me soon as they arrive back at Heathrow Airport, they are back in swing with a strong brit accent or some just stay in that mode or vice versa.

Does this just not get confusing to keep switching? What do you think and what are your personal experiences with this?
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switching between accents

As with any part of an identity, such as wearing glasses, or having a piercing, having a british accent leads some people to treat you in a different way, sometimes more positive, sometimes negative.

I've contemplated the idea of switching accents before, consciously mind you, but I have yet to actually go ahead and do it, simply because how do you explain it to people who have already heard the british accent?

It sounds like your friend does it without really thinking about it, which is similar to something I've been told about before where people go to foreign countries and start speaking the foreign language and then pick up the accent of the person they're speaking to. Perhaps your friend should look into doing some acting?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Exotic Wiltshire Accent

I don't think I could pull off a convincing Canadian accent after living here for 5 years. Mind you, some of the elderly I meet who came to Canada from the UK in the fifties sound like they arrived yesterday - so I have no intention of deliberately trying to change me accent.

I would just love it though if Canadians would guess that I'm English - not South African, New Zealander or Australian. I must come from a very exotic area in Wiltshire!

Sarah

(Still not getting house-about-out right either).
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

workhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure that its something done consciously. The missus drifts from her combine 'aarvester to Ontarian in the space of a couple of phone calls. She says I sometimes have a softer ecky thump. When back in the old country, find the biggest eye rolls are reserved for the vocab / conversational faux pas such as gas for petrol, 'put the garbage in the trunk' etc.

However after 15 years it is still (and always will be) tomato and not tomado
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

For me it is not the accent, although friends in Great Britain tell me that I have a twang on certain words and vice versa.

For me it is the words I use. Example being.. "Homely" When talking about how comfortable my house is I would say "Homely". Canadians find it funny when I use this word. They inform me that I should say "Homey" as people will think that I am talking about matters of a homosexual nature. Of course, I flat out refused to correct this as it is apart of who I am to use words that are..... WAIT FOR IT!....... "Chiefly British!". Quite frankly I am getting fed up with the "When in Rome" retort which comes my way every time I defend my cultural heritage. Other then that I am very precious about spelling and pronouncing the way I was brought up and I am a Cockney. LOL!

Other then that I get a lot of attention from the ladies and my friends stay constantly amused. My sense of humour gets them every time too. Other then that I love living in Nova Scotia and I'd never move back to London unless my hand was forced! I am a proud Londoner but this city is far to aggressive for the likes of me these days. (I am visiting for Christmas).

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

KeithSonja will become famous soon enoughKeithSonja will become famous soon enough

We hope to be moving over soon - we were wondering how quickly (if at all) children pick up the Canadian accent??

We have two girls 12 and 9, when we were over for two weeks in May, the girls were already putting on the accent because they thought it funny - but when does this stop being a funny thing to do and become just the norm for them?? Going to school with lots of Canadian children must have an affect of the accent?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 6:12 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KeithSonja
We hope to be moving over soon - we were wondering how quickly (if at all) children pick up the Canadian accent??

We have two girls 12 and 9, when we were over for two weeks in May, the girls were already putting on the accent because they thought it funny - but when does this stop being a funny thing to do and become just the norm for them?? Going to school with lots of Canadian children must have an affect of the accent?
They're destined to stick out amongst their peers, be ostracized and taunted by children that are determined to prove that new immigrants understand their place in society. Maybe.

Give them 12 months and they'll sound funny to their English friends and relatives. More likely.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

KeithSonja will become famous soon enoughKeithSonja will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by R I C H
They're destined to stick out amongst their peers, be ostracized and taunted by children that are determined to prove that new immigrants understand their place in society. Maybe.
LOL
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I would say it depends on their age. Our two girls (4 & 6) were speaking like the locals within 2 weeks of starting school. Our 13 year old son held out for some time but finally succumbed.

We would walk our girls to school and they would come out of school speaking like the locals. By the time we had walked home (about 10 mins) they would have slowly morphed back to speaking like us again. However, if one of their friends opened a door and spoke to them, the transformed instantly back to speaking like locals. It was remarkable to hear and appeared completely subconcious.

Without a doubt, IMVHO the worst type of accent is when one hears an expat speaking like a local. It ends up sounding like Loyd Grossman and just doesn't sound right at all. I would say that most expats retain the accent of their homeland, but use the local nouns.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

I think the younger you are when you move here the most likely to pick it up. I would just sound silly trying to imitate and i think my brit accent will be here to stay. I also sometime get asked if my accent is Australian too. I mean most get it right, but really? The only thing i have picked up is the word equivalents of some words. Going to the store instead of the shops and the highway instead of motorway. etc lol I still use tomato and not tomado.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice

Having now got an accent that's kind of stuck between Scottish and Canadian (have been roughly half my life in both places, but changed countries at an early age so seem to have picked up both) I do switch quite easily. Altho I don't think I sound totally Canadian or Scottish - often seem to be mixed up for Northern Irish or Newfoundland accents!

A big factor is age - the older you are (adult versus child/teenager) I think you are more likely to keep the accent you have, or close to it.

However, I do think that it sometimes depends on how public facing your job is. I worked in a fairly famous hotel when I first moved back to Canada in my 20's and found it was much easier to be understood - even by the tourists - with more of a Canadian accent..... so I gradually swung more to that.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

krasy is an unknown quantity at this point

being a geordie I think they may have a problem understanding me so I guess I will have to slow the accent down and change a few words lol but I luv me accen I daresay my son will pick up the local accent at college otherwise I doubt he will be understood its great sometimes tho cos people dont have a clue what we are saying even in the UK lol
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008
Hi Everyone,

I was just curious how many of you that have been here a while now tend to switch between accents. I generally just like sounding like me. (Londoner) However, I am guessing switching between both may have its advantages when you live here? I recently have made a friend from the UK here but she has been here for over 10 years now. When she talks with me, her strong Leeds accents comes out, when she is speaking to Canadian she comes out with a strong Canadian accent. lol I have also met a few other brits here who tell me soon as they arrive back at Heathrow Airport, they are back in swing with a strong brit accent or some just stay in that mode or vice versa.

Does this just not get confusing to keep switching? What do you think and what are your personal experiences with this?
It happens naturally with me. I left Northern Ireland at 18 to go to university in England and I had to slow down and speak more clearly to be understood. When I was on the phone to someone in NI, my English friends had no clue what I was saying. After a combined 27 years in England, Canada and now the US, I now have a generic North American accent with a slight, occasional Irish twang that only certain people can detect. However, if I'm around UK or Irish visitors, I can easily slip back into my former accents with ease - all totally subconciously though as I make no conscious effort to switch accents (I don't think I could switch very well if I consciously tried to).

Funnily enough, my English wife has more trouble being understood over here than I do. I think once my Northern Ireland accent became "anglicized" by my time in England, the result was something that sounds almost North American anyway.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

My accent hasn't really changed, but the speed of the words has slowed down and with larger pauses inbetween words. just so the locals have a clue what i'm on about, i did it without realising. But when my bro in law came out to visit i switched back to speaking like i always have and my canadian friends just look blankly at me

My daughter's accent on the other hand has almost changed completly to a Canadian one with the occasional bit of her british accent thrown into certain words and phrases.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Your 12 year old most likely won't but your 9 year old most likely will. You will start to notice subtle changes after a year of school.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.