Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Swapping uk driving licence for Ontario?

Swapping uk driving licence for Ontario?

Old Nov 19th 2014, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

AtlanticMoose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Swapping uk driving licence for Ontario?

Yes they send it back to the DVLA. I was given a photocopy of both sides of the card and the paper portion along with a yellow cc of the ontario licence application form.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

a18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
Can I confirm that by surrendering your UK licence, do you mean permanently exchanging your documents (paper + photocard licence) and not get them back?
I'm presuming you can still continue to drive in the UK?
My experience was exchanging UK for Nova Scotia. No part 2 of UK license requested, just photocard. If they do send it to UK DVLA, it obviously doesn't work as I went on to UK Government Gateway and simply ordered replacement UK license sent to my UK address. As far as DVLA concerned, UK license active. Makes renewing UK passport easier, too, if you keep your photo current.

The rules are crazy, too. In Nova Scotia if you plan on staying for 90 days, you need NS license. In California, after 10 days of "residence" (we also reside there) you need CA license. So despite every place saying you can't have 2 licenses at the same time, it's a catch-22 situation, because each place requires one. So, we keep all three. Problem solved. If one of these agencies cares, they haven't said so.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 9:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a18ion
If they do send it to UK DVLA, it obviously doesn't work as I went on to UK Government Gateway and simply ordered replacement UK license sent to my UK address. As far as DVLA concerned, UK license active.
Although if it's not your actual address on there (i.e. where you're residing) that's not valid and a £1000 fine if caught. So don't actually drive on it whilst in the UK, even if it is useful for renewing your UK passport!
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

enak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a18ion
My experience was exchanging UK for Nova Scotia. No part 2 of UK license requested, just photocard. If they do send it to UK DVLA, it obviously doesn't work as I went on to UK Government Gateway and simply ordered replacement UK license sent to my UK address. As far as DVLA concerned, UK license active. Makes renewing UK passport easier, too, if you keep your photo current.
I swapped my UK license in July for an Ontario one.

Until recently, if I used the "View my driving license information" link on the UK Government site it would tell me I had a valid UK license, but...
I can confirm that after 4 months, the message has changed from me having a valid UK license to "You do not hold a current GB driving licence, a licence has been issued by another licensing authority".

Hopefully that clarifies whether DVLA know anything. It may take a while, but the information comes their way.