Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Student loans in Canada (Alberta to be specific)

Student loans in Canada (Alberta to be specific)

Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Student loans in Canada (Alberta to be specific)

Hope someone can help with a few links in trying to obtain information on student loans in Alberta. My daughter is just finishing her A levels in UK, looks like she is going to study math at a uni in UK, just trying to get the alternative options in Canada, would like her to study in Canada rather than UK, this then come back to UK to do a one year masters. This way her PR is protected giving her sufficient time in country to retain PR.

As PR can she get student loans to pay for her study and what are the repayment terms and conditions.

Thanks.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student loans in Canada (Alberta to be specific)

I would expect that she would have to normally be a resident here to get student loans.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
I would expect that she would have to normally be a resident here to get student loans.
I'll tell you what I know and perhaps you can fill in the gaps.

There are grants and loans available, these are dependant on whether she is a dependant or an Independant student. I have to be a resident in Alberta and depending on my level of income, what level of grant and or loan that is available.

To get into uni, you need two A levels grade C or better and 3 gcse in other subjects at grade c or better - not related to the A levels.

So now you know more, what can you add? Have you or anyone had experience of grants and loans for their children at uni in Alberta. Thanks.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Hope someone can help with a few links in trying to obtain information on student loans in Alberta. My daughter is just finishing her A levels in UK, looks like she is going to study math at a uni in UK, just trying to get the alternative options in Canada, would like her to study in Canada rather than UK, this then come back to UK to do a one year masters. This way her PR is protected giving her sufficient time in country to retain PR.

As PR can she get student loans to pay for her study and what are the repayment terms and conditions.

Thanks.
I don't have first hand experience, so others may be able to offer better advice. What I have been told, and Mount Royal University's website agrees, is that PRs are eligible for government assistance in the same way as citizens: http://www.mtroyal.ca/Admission/Mone.../StudentLoans/

The link also provides contacts for the Student Awards and Financial Aid Office, which is set up to help understand the financing options available in Alberta, so it may be worth contacting them if this forum doesn't have the information you require.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

PR's are eligible for both provincial and federal student loans, however all provinces I am familiar with require one to be a resident of the province for a certain period of time, can't just move and get financial aid.

Here is the basic eligibility info for Alberta student loans:

http://studentaid.alberta.ca/before-...y/eligibility/

If one is deemed a dependent student, parents income will generally be taken into account to determine what funding if any is available.

Repayment terms are pretty flexible (at-least with federal student loans and BC student loans) and they have basically let me pay what I can afford, right now, I pay 25 a month to each, and they are happy.

The loan amounts may or may not cover everything, for me with no income, independent student, the loans covered 85% of the tuition and books and I had to seek out private grants and scholarships for the rest, so be prepared to seek other forms of financial aid as well.

Credit history may also now play a role in your eligibility.

"Other factors may also affect your eligibility, including your credit rating"

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 13th 2014 at 8:32 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
PR's are eligible for both provincial and federal student loans, however all provinces I am familiar with require one to be a resident of the province for a certain period of time, can't just move and get financial aid.

Here is the basic eligibility info for Alberta student loans:

http://studentaid.alberta.ca/before-...y/eligibility/

If one is deemed a dependent student, parents income will generally be taken into account to determine what funding if any is available.

Repayment terms are pretty flexible (at-least with federal student loans and BC student loans) and they have basically let me pay what I can afford, right now, I pay 25 a month to each, and they are happy.

The loan amounts may or may not cover everything, for me with no income, independent student, the loans covered 85% of the tuition and books and I had to seek out private grants and scholarships for the rest, so be prepared to seek other forms of financial aid as well.

Credit history may also now play a role in your eligibility.

"Other factors may also affect your eligibility, including your credit rating"
They no longer take the parents income into consideration.

Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

In BC parental income may still affect bow much one gets if a dependent student. I just wasn't able to find it for Alberta, so good to know Alberta doesn't.

Its not definite in BC, but they still say it may affect a dependent students aid.

"If you are a Group A (dependent) student, a financial contribution may be expected from your parent(s), step-parent, sponsor or legal guardian. We will assess the amount based on family size, income and allowable deductions (such as income taxes payable, Canada Pension Plan contributions and employment insurance contributions).

Your parents' financial assets (term deposits, stocks, bonds, GICs, bank accounts and rental properties) will also be considered in the assessment."
Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:12 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
In BC parental income may still affect bow much one gets if a dependent student. I just wasn't able to find it for Alberta, so good to know Alberta doesn't.

Its not definite in BC, but they still say it may affect a dependent students aid.

"If you are a Group A (dependent) student, a financial contribution may be expected from your parent(s), step-parent, sponsor or legal guardian. We will assess the amount based on family size, income and allowable deductions (such as income taxes payable, Canada Pension Plan contributions and employment insurance contributions).

Your parents' financial assets (term deposits, stocks, bonds, GICs, bank accounts and rental properties) will also be considered in the assessment."
Sorry, I should have said that with Alberta Student Aid the parent's income doesn't affect things, however, for Canada Student Aid it still does.

http://studentaid.alberta.ca/before-...ou-contribute/
Your Parents' Contribution

Beginning this year, parental contributions are not used to calculate your eligibility for Student Aid Alberta. If your parents voluntarily provide you with financial support, let us know on your application.

Parent contributions are required by the Canada Student Loans Program if you are a single, full-time, dependent student. Contributions are based on your parents' income and family size. The Canada Student Loans Program offers a Parental Contribution Calculator to help you estimate the amount of money your parents are expected to provide.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
I'll tell you what I know and perhaps you can fill in the gaps.

There are grants and loans available, these are dependant on whether she is a dependant or an Independant student. I have to be a resident in Alberta and depending on my level of income, what level of grant and or loan that is available.

To get into uni, you need two A levels grade C or better and 3 gcse in other subjects at grade c or better - not related to the A levels.

So now you know more, what can you add? Have you or anyone had experience of grants and loans for their children at uni in Alberta. Thanks.

I was just speaking in general as I have no experience of Alberta universities. I did all of my degrees in Ontario so know its system, but not the systems in other provinces.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie

I work in academia and I can assure you that many provinces still do as does the federal program.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by colchar
I work in academia and I can assure you that many provinces still do as does the federal program.
I was referring specifically to Alberta, as the OP requested.
I already stated that the Federal program requires it.