Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

struggling to settle

struggling to settle

Old Feb 21st 2017, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: struggling to settle

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My 2c is that if you are really, truly unhappy somewhere after 9 months then cut your losses and go where you will be...

That wasn't nice to read and so I can't imagine what it was like to live it, I feel for you and hope you get some good in the future.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 11:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
That wasn't nice to read and so I can't imagine what it was like to live it, I feel for you and hope you get some good in the future.
Thank you. Things will get better in time.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I love it here, but I wouldn't if I had to get up at 5am to sit on a congested highway.
I think that would put you off just about anywhere.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:52 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
My children were better off for their parents having emigrated; they are girls and all of them finished high school without getting banged up.
Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Why are girls more likely to have pursued a (n unsuccessful) life of crime if you hadn't emigrated?
Originally Posted by dbd33
Knocked up might have been better there than banged up. I meant that, by comparison with their cousins in the UK, they've been blessed in managing not to reproduce during their teenaged years.
Gun ownership laws.

You'd never have gotten away with pulling a shot gun on potential suiters back in Camden.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:53 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Statham2016
Been here nearly 9 months. Yes not that long. But feels long when not feeling settled. Gave up everything anyone needs in life back home to try 'the dream'. Sought after career, modest home in nice enough area, financial security, good work / life balance etc. Currently pursuing the same here in Ontario granted under a more blue sky at times. But without established friendships, family support. So will here ever feel like home? Does that niggling feeling of being unconnected ever go away? Do I have the wrong attitude and am negative and looking back , comparing, being nostalgic? Or do I have early insight to what others can realise years down the line, scratch the surface and its the same bull#hit in life, just a different backdrop
Im doing it for the second time around and finding it much harder this time..i settled in pretty quick first time..but this time its really hard work esp since i had lived in Canada for 5 years previously you would think i would know what to expect...im desperate for spring to arrive so i can get out and about more and get myself a bike..otherwise i will die from boredom.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My 2c is that if you are really, truly unhappy somewhere after 9 months then cut your losses and go where you will be. Yes, you may have a nice house, you may have kids who do well in school, a happy wife. But I can testify that being in another country can be very isolating when you need family. In the past 3 years while I have been living in Australia I have got divorced, been demoted with the accompanying $15k pay cut, had my youngest child commit suicide and had to put my mother in a nursing home. Let me tell you that there is nothing I needed more during any of those times than to be near my sisters and brothers.

My new partner and I have applied for a visa for him to come live with me back home in Canada, but now it looks like I might need to put that on hold. My ex husband is moving 5 hours flight away and if I move to Canada that would leave my daughter alone here.
You've had a really rough time over the past few years, so sorry for your loss.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:42 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Im doing it for the second time around and finding it much harder this time..i settled in pretty quick first time..but this time its really hard work esp since i had lived in Canada for 5 years previously you would think i would know what to expect...im desperate for spring to arrive so i can get out and about more and get myself a bike..otherwise i will die from boredom.
I have noticed, very markedly, that when the end of winter starts to arrive very many more - depressive/desperate - posts appear.

I am currently scratching where I don't itch...I am longing to run, just go out and DO it! We are all bloody snow/rain bound...my Cairn Terrier longs to go free and I can't even let him out in the garden as he could walk over the fence...

Struggling is always there...we all feel it, but it gives pain so much worse at the end of winter hang tight, relief is in sight
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute

Been here nearly 9 months. Yes not that long. But feels long when not feeling settled. Gave up everything anyone needs in life back home to try 'the dream'. Sought after career, modest home in nice enough area, financial security, good work / life balance etc. Currently pursuing the same here in Ontario granted under a more blue sky at times. But without established friendships, family support. So will here ever feel like home? Does that niggling feeling of being unconnected ever go away? Do I have the wrong attitude and am negative and looking back , comparing, being nostalgic? Or do I have early insight to what others can realise years down the line, scratch the surface and its the same bull#hit in life, just a different backdrop
Sorry to hear you're feeling this way Statham2016. I think it's not easy moving to a new country, and I think the winter season doesn't help sometimes. But hang on in there - I agree too, that 9 months is a short time. I think the GTA is a busy place, and life is fast paced and people do spend a lot of time commuting. Maybe a different location in Canada might help if you're free to move. I find the west coast to be friendlier than the east, and a bit more chilled. Although I'm finding Toronto very fascinating and interesting and very diverse (I've only been here 6 months), life here is busy and fast, and I do spend quite a lot of time on public transit. But still when I look back at the effort to get here, it makes me feel determined to make life work in Canada. I do miss family and life in the UK, but it's also not far to fly back and visit them.

Last edited by miss_mp; Feb 22nd 2017 at 3:02 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 3:11 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I have noticed, very markedly, that when the end of winter starts to arrive very many more - depressive/desperate - posts appear.

I am currently scratching where I don't itch...I am longing to run, just go out and DO it! We are all bloody snow/rain bound...my Cairn Terrier longs to go free and I can't even let him out in the garden as he could walk over the fence...

Struggling is always there...we all feel it, but it gives pain so much worse at the end of winter hang tight, relief is in sight
Can't you get all its shots and take it down to south Florida for three weeks or so? You can wander up and down the beach with dog all day long.

Last edited by Oink; Feb 22nd 2017 at 3:18 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

This is the age old dillema....to emigrate from one country to another, you need strong reasons...ok some people just try it for the hell of it, some "do it for the kids" some "for a change of life" some for a new job....some because their spouse wants to. The problem with all these reasons....is they are not strong enough reasons, (with the exception of maybe doing it for the spouse - but even then that can turn resentful)

Ive said this a few times before, but in my mind the key to a successful emigration and enjoying your new life are based on these strong reasons.... ie you need a strong push to make you want to leave the UK, but also a strong pull as to why you want to live a life in Canada.

These reasons could be varied, but they need to be strong and determined or "the dream" will collapse at the first hurdle. Time wont change this.....its all about personal attitude....it sounds to me as if nothing was pushing you from the UK - you were happy, and nothing was really pulling you to Canada, there lies your problem, and time wont change that.

I see your biggest obstacle will be convincing your other half to abandon "the dream" and return to the UK, does she still see it as "the dream"?

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Feb 22nd 2017 at 4:27 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 5:33 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

I see lots of people jogging around here and the winter hasn't stopped us walking our GS or at a minimum letting him romp around in the snow in the yard.

Really no need to be housebound in winter unless you're in the middle of a storm.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Emotional roller-coaster.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Statham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
This is the age old dillema....to emigrate from one country to another, you need strong reasons...ok some people just try it for the hell of it, some "do it for the kids" some "for a change of life" some for a new job....some because their spouse wants to. The problem with all these reasons....is they are not strong enough reasons, (with the exception of maybe doing it for the spouse - but even then that can turn resentful)

Ive said this a few times before, but in my mind the key to a successful emigration and enjoying your new life are based on these strong reasons.... ie you need a strong push to make you want to leave the UK, but also a strong pull as to why you want to live a life in Canada.

These reasons could be varied, but they need to be strong and determined or "the dream" will collapse at the first hurdle. Time wont change this.....its all about personal attitude....it sounds to me as if nothing was pushing you from the UK - you were happy, and nothing was really pulling you to Canada, there lies your problem, and time wont change that.

I see your biggest obstacle will be convincing your other half to abandon "the dream" and return to the UK, does she still see it as "the dream"?
Excellent insight mate. True on many counts. At one point in time I strived for this move also, but the dynamics shifted when the kids grew a bit and started school, and I took stock and focussed on the positives of what we had, and my mindset changed. Yes I was content as Id ever been. Dare I say it almost 'happy'. But it was 'too late'. We had our visas, invested an insane amount time, money(still do), effort and stress into this country (CA) and my wife maintained it was her dream and she 'had to do it'. We gave up everything. But I gave up more. (In terms of employment security). Im afraid to say resentment has in fact developed a little. Its all down to individual preference and experiences ( and Im not knocking Canada as a whole or intending to disrespect the people etc, as it is a nice enough place with the odd little advantage over the uk) some disadvantages also so its swings and roundabouts. But, as a warning to others out there who feel the thought emigrating is exciting, if you are fed up with your lot and think a dazzling new life of 'happiness' awaits you because the sun shines a few more months of the year or whichever materialistic or superficial reason you have, please have a word with yourself. This place is like any other in the world. Its just a place. Suppose you wont ever really get it until you live and breathe it upclose for yourself.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 10:52 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent insight mate. True on many counts. At one point in time I strived for this move also, but the dynamics shifted when the kids grew a bit and started school, and I took stock and focussed on the positives of what we had, and my mindset changed. Yes I was content as Id ever been. Dare I say it almost 'happy'. But it was 'too late'. We had our visas, invested an insane amount time, money(still do), effort and stress into this country (CA) and my wife maintained it was her dream and she 'had to do it'. We gave up everything. But I gave up more. (In terms of employment security). Im afraid to say resentment has in fact developed a little. Its all down to individual preference and experiences ( and Im not knocking Canada as a whole or intending to disrespect the people etc, as it is a nice enough place with the odd little advantage over the uk) some disadvantages also so its swings and roundabouts. But, as a warning to others out there who feel the thought emigrating is exciting, if you are fed up with your lot and think a dazzling new life of 'happiness' awaits you because the sun shines a few more months of the year or whichever materialistic or superficial reason you have, please have a word with yourself. This place is like any other in the world. Its just a place. Suppose you wont ever really get it until you live and breathe it upclose for yourself.
The trouble is you didn't think that, you seem to have gone with the flow of things and sadly are living to regret it-if going as a couple/family, the adults have to both want to do it- if it fails or you hate it then fair enough you gave it a try. It is so easy with the benefit of hindsight but that full and frank discussion should have occurred, just maybe a bit earlier ,before shelling out the cash, getting the visas.

I hope that she is now currently taking on board how you are feeling- it cant all be one way traffic- a really difficult situation, I hope it works out for you both in the end. Resentment is never good for anyone, it has the potential to seeth and boil up.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:06 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I personally hate living here in NB, I can't see why people have such a problem getting out and about. Everywhere I look parks are having events to encourage people to get out and about so trails are cleared, snowshoes and the like are offered, and there's even free hot chocolate. The pavements / sidewalks are also cleared so I see loads of people walking, running and cycling.

ETA: managed to lose the quote in case the OP (or others) is confused! I was supposed to be replying to MillieF's quote.

Last edited by cxx; Feb 22nd 2017 at 11:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.