Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Struggling Here

Struggling Here

Old Jan 29th 2011, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

themurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud of
Default Struggling Here

Has anyone out there had problems with getting help from the health services with regards to getting mental health help.
I cannot get the right help from alberta health care to save my life.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:01 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Struggling Here

Stupid question, have you been to a doctor, walk in or otherwise?

My daughter needed help last year and was referred really quickly. Other than that, I work just across the street from a mental health place, I could ask on your behalf on Monday. PM me some details if you want.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:06 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Piff Poff beat me to it ... obviously your first call should be through your family doctor if you can get one, or a walk-in clinic.

If it helps even in general terms to talk on here there's loads of shoulders to lean on .. either open forum or via pm.

Hope you find the help you need soon anyway!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

themurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Stupid question, have you been to a doctor, walk in or otherwise?

My daughter needed help last year and was referred really quickly. Other than that, I work just across the street from a mental health place, I could ask on your behalf on Monday. PM me some details if you want.
Thankyou for that I have been everywhere.I've had her apprehended twice by PCHAD.She has been in residential on a 3 month program but it's all related to drugs and thats not the help for her that i need.it's mental health support that i need.
I've now ended up contacting the British embassy for help.Ivé been in touch with the provincial MLA.I'vr been to the CTV newsdesk.
There is a waiting list of 8/9 months for a place in CASSA house.She has seen a Phsychiatrist who diagnosed her as having a personality disorder which i then get told that he shouldn't have diagnosed that condition as she is not an adult.She is 15.I went to the docs to see if i could get a secdond opinion but when i checked,they haven't even looked at the referal and there is 3-4 months for that.
Basically she has mental issues and all i can get for her is like drug based help.
It's just ridiculous.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if this will be of any use, but I found these:

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/...ce&rid=1001856 (parent referrel allowed, assessment and help offered)

http://www.capitalhealth.ca/AboutUs/...MH/default.htm

http://www.capitalhealth.ca/AboutUs/...nal%20Children

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/...af&rid=1000324

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/...ce&rid=1015555

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/...af&rid=1005479

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/...rvice&rid=5453

No referral needed for this one

I hope you get the help you need.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 31st 2011 at 6:16 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

You just may have just been our saviour here.I just phoned the link you sent and spoke to let them know what was going on.
Basically when she is apprehended,we can apply for a thrity day secure order
where she will be evaluated properly.thank you so much.
They just have to apprehend her now.
Again thankyou so very much.You probably have saved a life.

Old Jan 31st 2011, 10:12 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

No thanks necessary and you are very welcome.. I'm just glad that the information was of use to you and that you may be able to secure the help you need.

Take care

Old Feb 8th 2011, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

OMG i spoke to soon. Now i have problems with the police. Even with my daughter being a minor with emotional and mental issues diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder with FASD as a possibilityand more they are still treating her as if she is just a teenage runaway who has had a row with her parents and is out to prove a point.

She has made contact by someones cell phone and as far as they are concerened as she has made contact, she has now gone down on the priority and now deemed at less risk.
I stood in the police station and demanded to see someone in charge and was given a voicemail no of the missing persons dept.

Still i stood there demanding to see someone in charge and was told that there was a million people in the city with hundreds of teenage runaways and i wasn't going to get an officer assigned to me and if i wanted to help i shoild start pounding the pavements. I was gobsmacked as i had just stood there and told him the circumstances and yet it was still no further up on the priority list.

I have been in touch with the province MLA's office,i have requested a meeting with with the MLA and the health minister, i have written to the British Embassy and now the Mayor. I've been in touch with the Mental Health Crisis Line, the Child services who don't want to know as we are not abusing or neglecting her.

I was told that the child services don't work well with Mental Health.

I'm seriously running out of steam here as i get a lot of talk and a lot of acceptance of well thats the way it is.

I say so i'm supposed to accept that as an excuse as opposed to living the rest of my days knowing my little girl won't be coming back through the door if something happens to her.
I say no. I won't. I keep getting told there is plenty of help but she has to ask for it. I'm saying as she has a mental illness which impairs her judgement, how the hell is she going to do that and especially as she doesn't acknowledge the diagnosis.

She just wants to be a normal teenager.

I'm telling them that the longer she is out there doing the drugs with whoever she is with, the harder she will be to reach. I'm told that she has to be arrested twice and basically be a public nuisance before i can get her any help. One day she's texting me saying it's our fault, then it's she knows she is unstable and she is causing chaos, then she loves her life on the streets then she doesn't totally not in touch with reality.

It really is unbelievable.

Her temp permit is due in March and i'm seriously considering not renewing it just so she ends up getting deported. At least then it would break the cycle of her being on the streets involved in drugs and maybe extend her life.
So much for moving to Canada to give her a better life
The Murphy Family

Originally Posted by siouxie
No thanks necessary and you are very welcome.. I'm just glad that the information was of use to you and that you may be able to secure the help you need.

Take care

Last edited by Rete; Feb 9th 2011 at 5:23 pm. Reason: fixed the spacing for easier reading.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:52 am
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

I would strongly suggest that you contact CBC Radio 1..

CBC.ca | The Current | Youth Mental Health

They have been focusing on mental health issues recently & specifically focused on the case of a 14 year old girl with what, at least on the surface, appears to be a very similar story your daughter's..
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:07 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themurphyfamily
OMG i spoke to soon. Now i have problems with the police. Even with my daughter being a minor with emotional and mental issues diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder with FASD as a possibilityand more they are still treating her as if she is just a teenage runaway who has had a row with her parents and is out to prove a point.
She has made contact by someones cell phone and as far as they are concerened as she has made contact,she has now gone down on the priority and now deemed at less risk.
I stood in the police station and demanded to see someone in charge and was given a voicemail no of the missing persons dept.
Still i stood there demanding to see someone in charge and was told that there was a million people in the city with hundreds of teenage runaways and i wasn't going to get an officer assigned to me and if i wanted to help i shoild start pounding the pavements.I was gobsmacked as i had just stood there and told him the circumstances and yet it was still no further up on the priority list.
I have been in touch with the province MLA's office,i have requested a meeting with with the MLA and the health minister,i have written to the British Embassy and now the Mayor.I've been in touch with the Mental Health Crisis Line,the Child services who don't want to know as we are not abusing or neglecting her.
I was told that the child services don't work well with Mental Health.
I'm seriously running out of steam here as i get a lot of talk and a lot of acceptance of well thats the way it is.
I say so i'm supposed to accept that as an excuse as opposed to living the rest of my days knowing my little girl won't be coming back through the door if something happens to her.
I say no.I won't.I keep getting told there is plenty of help but she has to ask for it.I'm saying as she has amental illness which impairs her judgement,how the hell is she going to do that and especially as she doesn't acknowledge the diagnosis.
She just wants to be a normal teenager.
I'm telling them that the longer she is out there doing the drugs with whoever she is with,the harder she will be to reach.I'm told that she has to be arrested twice and basically be a public nuisance before i can get her any help.One day she's texting me saying it's our fault,then it's she knows she is unstable and she is causing chaos,then she loves her life on the streets then she doesn'ttotally not in touch with reality.
It really is umbelievable.
Her temp permit is due in March and i'm seriously considering not renewing it just so she ends up getting deported.At least then it would break the cycle of her being on the streets involved in drugs.
and maybe extend her life.
So much for moving to Canada to give her a better life
The Murphy Family
I really feel for you, I wish I could suggest something to help, my fingers are crossed for you
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

A mental health issue is a mental issue, it may have different effects here, but if she has it it's more than likely that it would come in England the same as it would here. The difference is, you wouldn't feel so disempowered there because you understand how things work and probably have more support there. However, I agree Canada has a huge deficit when it comes to mental health and especially with regards to young people and mental health.

Look down this page on the link I have given you and see how you can get a referral made for Sifton and if it's not the right place for her if Mark may know of any other way that you can make her safe/ perform another apprehension or longer term form of safety for her.....I have no idea if this will work, but it's better than no idea at all.....

I wish you every ounce of luck and will send you good thoughts, I know you have a hard time ahead. Look after yourself too.

All the best x

http://www.aascf.com/component/optio...task,cat_view/
Old Feb 9th 2011, 4:39 pm
Banned

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this.

I don't know if it is of any use, but the Calgary Police have a section that deal with vulnerable persons. http://www.calgarypolice.ca/sections...tml#vulnerable

Vulnerable Persons Unit

The Vulnerable Persons Unit’s primary function is to co-ordinate with homelessness, addiction and mental health serving sectors; the Calgary Police Service’s response in line with the Provincial and Municipal 10 Year Plans to End Homelessness. The Unit is a resource to both external agencies as well as the internal membership of the Calgary Police Service to act within a liaison, resource, training, and coordination capacity related to our population.

The Police and Crisis Team (PACT) is a critical component of VPU. This is a partnership between the Calgary Police Services and Alberta Health Services. The team partners a uniformed police officer and mental health clinician who focus on in-community mental health assessments and linkages for individuals who may not have otherwise been served due to issues of safety and accessibility.

For further information, please phone 403-206-8399. (but see below)

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/mh/pact.htm

Non-Professional Referrals

All client follow-up and third-party referrals such as friends, family, and members of the public should be directed to call PACT via the Calgary Distress Centre at (403) 266- HELP (4357). http://www.distresscentre.com/get-help/

It may be worth giving them a call.

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 9th 2011 at 4:41 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Essay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to all

Youth Emergency Shelter Society, phone in Edmonton (780) 468 7070; one of the counselors there may be able to help.

You are not alone, even when it feels like it. Mental health services are always, always strained. And my heart aches for you and your family.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Than you everyone for your support.I have contacted everyone from the british embassy ,the mental health commission,i have been to the mla for beaumont,leduc and devon.i've requested a meeting with the health minister and the mla.I've emailed steven mandel,the list is endless .
I'm getting a lot of words and very little action.
she has been in touch with us via the cell phone which is something,however the texts are getting quite desparate. I keep trying to convince her to seek the help she needs and i'm sending her places to go but she tells me she is not ready..
after i reminded her that this could turn out quite badly because of the situation she's put herself in,
she tells me that her boyfriend is a runner and is getting drugs for free.
i'm just so pissed of @ this system and it's lack of coordination.if the social services had got involved when i asked in the 1st place all this may have been avoided.
thepolice are still as unhelpful as ever.because she has made contact and the fact that we took her to the youth shelter on the advice of the child crisis line, put her even further down the list of priority.
I wish i hadn't now but she took drugs again,what was i supposed to do.there was nowhere else for her to go.she''s burnt all her bridges with her good friends and couldn't stay anywhere else.
ironically it was bells lets talk today and there was a piece about mental health on ctvam.
anyhoo thanks everyone
themurphyfamily

Originally Posted by Essay
Youth Emergency Shelter Society, phone in Edmonton (780) 468 7070; one of the counselors there may be able to help.

You are not alone, even when it feels like it. Mental health services are always, always strained. And my heart aches for you and your family.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably just really confused here, you said she had nowhere to go, so you took her to a youth shelter, how come that was recommended rather than take her home, whether she was high or not???

Sorry to be dumb?
Mrs M x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.