Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Stingy Vacation Time.

Stingy Vacation Time.

Old Sep 18th 2014, 11:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stingy Vacation Time.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Whenever we have vacation threads on here people seem to generally have between 4 and 6 weeks even though 2 weeks is apparently the standard.
I've taken 9 weeks paid vacation so far this year. Eat yer hearts out. No, 10 weeks, I forgot one.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 11:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've taken 9 weeks paid vacation so far this year. Eat yer hearts out. No, 10 weeks, I forgot one.
I don't think I've had a paid vacation day since I moved to Canada.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think I've had a paid vacation day since I moved to Canada.
You seem to be conflating your job with that of your slaves.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to be conflating your job with that of your slaves.
One does expect professionalism and so should set an example. Mind, I'm good with 40 hours/week billed (as long as it's every week). We're not like law firms where they expect a consistent 70+
Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:27 am
Born again atheist

One does expect professionalism and so should set an example. Mind, I'm good with 40 hours/week billed (as long as it's every week). We're not like law firms where they expect a consistent 70+
Well I know I'm lucky, (not exactly dumb luck though), but I'm curious as to what constitutes an hour billed in terms of real time.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 1:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

Well I know I'm lucky, (not exactly dumb luck though), but I'm curious as to what constitutes an hour billed in terms of real time.
An hour. Sometimes there are payments for travel time but it's not usually the case. If the hour is at home or in our office it probably is an hour of head down working, if it's at a client's site they'll have "planning meetings" and "status meetings" and fire drills and other non-productive but still billable time.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 1:10 am
Born again atheist

An hour. Sometimes there are payments for travel time but it's not usually the case. If the hour is at home or in our office it probably is an hour of head down working, if it's at a client's site they'll have "planning meetings" and "status meetings" and fire drills and other non-productive but still billable time.
I have to admit to having quite a lot of billable time wasted on social media sites such as this one. I'm certain you're not guilty of that.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 1:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

I have to admit to having quite a lot of billable time wasted on social media sites such as this one. I'm certain you're not guilty of that.
I post all day. I keep up with half a dozen "news" suppliers. I work 60 bill 40 and lots of posting time is "wait time" anyway. It's a wash. (I am, btw, working in another window now).

It is true though that the timesheet is a nonsense, it's really a weekly fee for service as the hours billed aren't closely related to the hours worked. I just can't be bothered tracking precisely and I like the freedom to wander off in the middle of the day granted by always receiving and responding to emails promptly regardless of the hour of the day or the day of the year.

What I do find a bit iffy is sitting at one client's desk with their computer connected to another client's system. I was explicitly invited to do that some years ago and have carried on but it doesn't seem entirely kosher.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 2:20 am
Born again atheist

I post all day. I keep up with half a dozen "news" suppliers. I work 60 bill 40 and lots of posting time is "wait time" anyway. It's a wash. (I am, btw, working in another window now).

It is true though that the timesheet is a nonsense, it's really a weekly fee for service as the hours billed aren't closely related to the hours worked. I just can't be bothered tracking precisely and I like the freedom to wander off in the middle of the day granted by always receiving and responding to emails promptly regardless of the hour of the day or the day of the year.

What I do find a bit iffy is sitting at one client's desk with their computer connected to another client's system. I was explicitly invited to do that some years ago and have carried on but it doesn't seem entirely kosher.
Ah well. We have a lot in common IMO, but also some important variances.

Enjoy your next (paid) day off.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 4:09 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Both Husband and I have 4 weeks paid here. Husband was offered 4 from the get-go. I was originally offered 3, I asked for 4, and got it without much of a fight.

The Big4 I worked for in my past life, if you are in the lower half of the totem pole (e.g., join as a grad) then you have 3 weeks holiday. Once you make Manager (5ish years) you get 4 weeks.

We both have flexible working hours as well, for things like appointments and such (I was gone for 2.5 hours in the afternoon today, just stayed a bit later to make it up).
Old Sep 19th 2014, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I can't complain at all about my vacation and time off package. It's awesome , and the main reason I stay where I am. Not to brag, you understand, but simply to highlight that some employers are not stingy.

In February I go up to 5 weeks, plus I get 11 flex day, plus 5 Xmas days, and then all the public holidays. See, that's why I stay.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 5:10 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians don't work as hard as Brits do and spend most of their days at work doing nothing so 2 weeks vacation serves them just right.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 10:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Edo
Canadians don't work as hard as Brits do and spend most of their days at work doing nothing so 2 weeks vacation serves them just right.
That may be true but Canadians are all but irrelevant to my current workplace. There are some but they're usually managers or in the Human Resource department, bimbos and himbos, hired due to rampant nepotism (and yes I acknowledge exploiting that nepotism myself). I can't recall an instance of going to someone to get a problem fixed and finding they were Canadian.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:22 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I started on 2 , am now up to 5. I also get the days between Christmas and new year off as extras.
In place of a pay rise i was able to negotiate lieu time for all my extra hours. this usually nets me at least a week of extra vacation.

the problem I have is that I have more vacation days that time I'm allowed to use them
Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:37 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on the industry in Canada , I was lucky from the start, don't know if the fact I work for a uk based company helps or not I think competitors in my trade are similar, 4 weeks vacation , 12 personal days and all holidays paid, I think you get an extra week after 10 yrs, some roles start at 3 weeks, even so the biggest thing I noticed moving here was the amount if vacation people carry over, ! In uk everyone used every day up by the cut off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.