Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

starting business selling across Canada... GST?

starting business selling across Canada... GST?

Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: starting business selling across Canada... GST?

Originally Posted by Aviator
Google business registration nov scotia and all you need will come up.

Both and allow the customer to choose their country of preference. You should buffer the FX to allow for fluctuations, otherwise you'll need to change prices every day. Another factor is the currency you are buying your inventory in, as this will fluctuate if not in CAD.

Many Americans seem to not be aware there is any other $ than US!
Registering the business is Ok (already been through that with my partners business!) it's things like HST/GST, which payment processor to use, whether to charge US or CAN, so many things that could go in different directions but which will have an optimal solution!

It's a subscription business, so I will be at the mercy of the exchange rate to a degree because I need to have a set charge that repeats monthly. I'll be buying my inventory in USD for the most part. Charging in both currencies might prove to be difficult and quite pricey, which is why I was wondering if there was a better option to go with - USD or CAD...
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:31 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Be cautious on where the place of supply is deemed to be. It is in short, the place that the goods change ownership.
If you ship to a customer is BC then they take ownership there and you have to charge the BC PST rate.

If they arrange their own shipment (or collect it) then they have taken ownership in NS, therefore you charge 15% GST/HST.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression place of supply relates to GST/HST, and i will be charging the rate applicable for the province I am selling to. I've already ascertained (thanks to this thread!) that there is no need to register for PST/RST in relevant provinces for online sales....
Old Jul 31st 2014, 3:33 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Izzie
I have a document from KPMG covering tax and the place of supply rule. I can pm it to you as an attachment if you want. It doesn't just affect GST/HST , it affects the tax in that province.