Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Squamish BC: To live or not to live? Please help

Squamish BC: To live or not to live? Please help

Old Aug 11th 2014, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

craigthemason is a jewel in the roughcraigthemason is a jewel in the roughcraigthemason is a jewel in the roughcraigthemason is a jewel in the roughcraigthemason is a jewel in the rough
Default Squamish BC: To live or not to live? Please help

Hi, thanks for reading my post
In a recently single 27 year old guy from England. I'm in Montreal, and am flying to Vancouver on 19th August 2014.
I'd like to spend time west and try out downhill mountain biking, and also make new friends.
I've heard that Squamish is just incredible for the biking, and the trails are open to anyone for free right?
However, I am a lone guy with a big backpack and a guitar, about $2500 and no bike.

Would anyone suggest that I live in Squamish for a period of months?
Do you know if there are job opportunities for "tourists" or outsiders?
Is Squamish a quiet family town like some comments say?

Basically, I'd love to know if Squamish is beautiful, yet boring.
Is Squamish a place that a recently single backpacker would enjoy, or should I look for work in Whistler, or other surrounding towns?
The idea of the bike trails around Squamish sounds amazing, but could I survive there?

Any help and suggestion would be great!
Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2014, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Squamish BC: To live or not to live? Please help

Since you seem to enjoy mountain biking and outdoor sports, Squamish may not be as boring for you as it is for someone like me who doesn't enjoy those things.

We lack most forms of entertainment here, aside from a few pubs, there is no nightlife, and most places except the chains shut down by 7. We also have no movie theater so can't even go out to see a movie without going to Whistler or North Vancouver.

Jobs are hit and miss here, sometimes there are places hiring, sometimes there isn't, and since we have no real industry, most jobs are in fast food and retail, but these places do hire, but not as often as in other places.

Rent is high for a small town, 1 bed rooms run 900+ a month for an apartment. (If you do come here, PM me as my GF's mom rents out rooms in her house if your looking for that sort of living arrangement vs your own place.)

Its not a horrible town, and there is a ton of outdoor stuff you can do (pretty much everything except skiing) so if you really want to do mountain biking, and can live without nightlife and movies, you might be happy here.

But yes it is a family town, we don't have the transient population if Whistler or the nightlife/party atmosphere of Whistler, we are a bedroom community for Vancouver commuters more then anything else, and have no industry anymore. (logging and pulp mills along with railroad were the industries back in the day, but they are long gone, and the town hasn't yet successfully become a overnight tourist destination.)

You will likely have a hard time meeting singles here if your looking to meet singles, for that Whistler is your bet, especially if you want to meet Australians and Brits.

There is no surrounding towns, you have Whistler or Squamish there are no towns in between the 2.

Oh and if you don't have a car its a pain to get around town as well, might be a small town, but its more spread out then Whistler and our transit system is poor, and there is also no public transit to Whistler, you have to drive, or take greyhound, or hitch hike/walk/ride a bike.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

craigthemason is a jewel in the roughcraigthemason is a jewel in the roughcraigthemason is a jewel in the roughcraigthemason is a jewel in the roughcraigthemason is a jewel in the rough

Wow thanks so much, that's really good information.
I thought it may have had a small travelers community since there were a couple of hostels (inn on the water looked pretty "hip")

I saw a job online for a local phone shop and applied, then thought about all the other stuff afterwards.
Who knows if they will even respond.
My idea would have been to buy a bike if I got a job.
But then the thought of not having many people there to relate to, in similar circumstance as me (foreign, young and single) to make friends and more... Kind of scared to be lonely.

If I don't hear from the job, then maybe my best bet is to just talk to other people when I arrive in Vancouver, and see what route others are taking.

I really wish Squamish was a bit more inviting all around! But that's kinda selfish of me! I hope that doesn't cause offence to anyone living or from there.

Thanks again for taking the time to write!
Old Aug 11th 2014, 10:25 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

If mountain biking is your thing, check out Sun Peaks. The Canadian national championships were held there last month.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

I've never done downhill mountain biking. Mainly cross country, but downhill looks more exciting!
What's the chances of getting work in Sun Peaks?

Last edited by craigthemason; Aug 12th 2014 at 2:34 am.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 2:45 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craigthemason
I've never done downhill mountain biking. Mainly cross country, but downhill looks more exciting!
What's the chances of getting work in Sun Peaks?
There's more than enough cross country terrain to keep you busy all summer here too, not just downhill.

Very straightforward to find work, it's the 2nd largest ski resort in Canada, 2nd to Whistler.

If you've restaurant/cafe experience I may be able to offer you a job for the winter season.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 6:54 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Is Squamish a place that a recently single backpacker would enjoy, or should I look for work in Whistler, or other surrounding towns?
The idea of the bike trails around Squamish sounds amazing, but could I survive there?

Thanks
I thought the town site of Squamish was ugly - very spread out with strip malls. I usually stop there for a meal on the way back from Whistler - that's about it. I wouldn't want to live there. The scenery around it is pretty though. Whistler is probably better for looking for work but obviously more expensive to live there. It doesn't sound very feasible to live in Squamish and work in Whistler without a car.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
I thought the town site of Squamish was ugly - very spread out with strip malls. I usually stop there for a meal on the way back from Whistler - that's about it. I wouldn't want to live there. The scenery around it is pretty though. Whistler is probably better for looking for work but obviously more expensive to live there. It doesn't sound very feasible to live in Squamish and work in Whistler without a car.
That's what happens when your a bedroom community, the town just becomes a mass of strip malls and housing to support the commuters living here. We just happen to be close enough with lower cost to own (renting is not cheap here) so we get people from Vancouver who then commute. As I said earlier, we have no industry anymore, the strip malls are the only thing keeping the place afloat these days.

If working in Whistler even if one has a car if renting may as well live in Whistler, the rents in Squamsh are not any cheaper overall, add in cost of gas and winter tires, and you'd end up likely paying more to live in Squamish.

I'd personally be out of here tomorrow if I could, but we are stuck because of our housing situation so can't move, but I do dislike this town more then anywhere else I have lived.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

paulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nice

In a recently single 27 year old guy from England. I'm in Montreal, and am flying to Vancouver on 19th August 2014.
I'd like to spend time west and try out downhill mountain biking, and also make new friends.
I've heard that Squamish is just incredible for the biking, and the trails are open to anyone for free right?
However, I am a lone guy with a big backpack and a guitar, about $2500 and no bike.

Thanks
Where did you end up?

Lots of free trail XC riding in Whistler which is near squamish.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 2:17 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, Squamish sucks.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I agree, Squamish sucks.
Unless you like outdoor sports and mountain biking.....

I find 3 groups largely live here:

1. born and raised locals, and retired folks from BC Rail, and the mills.

2. Folks who work in Vancouver and come here to own since you get more band for your buck, usually young families.

3. Those who enjoy the outdoor sports.

I don't fit into these 3 groups so for folks like me, its a rough place to live...lol
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:55 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, but imo, there's better places to live even if you do like outdoor sports.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
yeah, but imo, there's better places to live even if you do like outdoor sports.
I am sure there is, but are they close to Vancouver? That is the biggest reason Squamish is popular, 60 minutes to downtown Vancouver.

As a small town, could be worse, we do at-least have most amenities here, which makes it bearable.

Like I said before, its mostly a bedroom community for Vancouver commuters who can't own in Vancouver or don't want to deal with the congestion of Vancouver region, but need to work there.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 11:22 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

There's a passable brewpub there. I've never lived there but have visited many times and downed the odd one or two. Check out howesound.com.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

headingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to all

Thanks

My life revolves around water sport, windsurfing/kiteboarding/kayaking and mt biking.
I was in Squamish for a bit this summer, seemed like paradise for me.

The mt biking rocked from the north shore all the way up to whistler.

We are in Calgary though as wife's family are all here. Still very good, but the coast would be better.