Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So my passport has expired. Travelling in 2 weeks. Help!

So my passport has expired. Travelling in 2 weeks. Help!

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

joebeard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So my passport has expired. Travelling in 2 weeks. Help!

Hi everyone, first time posting here and wondering if perhaps you could offer me some advice.

I'm a permanent resident of Canada with British citizenship. I was planning to pick up a package this evening from the USA (I live on a border town) and found out that my passport had expired in April this year.

The kicker is that my wife and I have plans to travel to the US on the 11th of August (in just two weeks!). I've been fishing around various websites to try and figure out if there is any way I can make this work and it's looking grim, especially because I'm not going to be able to travel all the way to Ottawa or Toronto to apply for a passport extension in person.

Is there anything at all I can do? Or am I screwed?
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So my passport has expired. Travelling in 2 weeks. Help!

Originally Posted by joebeard
Hi everyone, first time posting here and wondering if perhaps you could offer me some advice.

I'm a permanent resident of Canada with British citizenship. I was planning to pick up a package this evening from the USA (I live on a border town) and found out that my passport had expired in April this year.

The kicker is that my wife and I have plans to travel to the US on the 11th of August (in just two weeks!). I've been fishing around various websites to try and figure out if there is any way I can make this work and it's looking grim, especially because I'm not going to be able to travel all the way to Ottawa or Toronto to apply for a passport extension in person.

Screwed and without a kiss as well.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:13 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joebeard

You only have two options:
  1. Get a 12 month passport extension from a UK Consulate in Canada. Even then, you might be hard pressed to get an appointment with them within 2 weeks. Also, although the USA accepts the UK Extended Passport as an entry document, it is not eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, so you will need to hold a valid visa or residency permit.
  2. Cancel your trip

If you really want to go on the trip, you're going to have to get to a consulate

Last edited by Photoplex; Jul 24th 2014 at 12:18 am.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:33 am
Just Joined

joebeard is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that's disheartening. I'm looking at seeing if my brother can apply for me in the UK and then send it through the mail, but it does look like I need to apply for that in person as well.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Passport applications in the UK have been REALLY slow recently - they've been taking weeks. So even if you were in the UK right now, I think you'd need to go in person to a passport office to get it processed in your timeframe. I sincerely doubt your brother would be able to get you one in time.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Exact same thing happened to me last year, was heading to Vegas to meet up with family for my sister in laws 60th birthday. I did qualify for an emergency travel document, but was told there would be no guarantee the US would accept it and allow me to travel.
I would have also traveled to the consulate in Vancouver to get it, so taking into consideration the cost involved ( and the time), and there still be a chance I would be turned back at the US border, it just wasn't worth it. I had no option but to cancel the trip. My wife got a lot of mileage out of that one!

So, in other words, your screwed! Sorry