Snow etc

Old Feb 28th 2018, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Snow etc

This one got me curious, I expect it's been answered before, I did search snow but couldnt see anything immediate that answered the below.

So over here, a snowflake causes the majority of public transport to stop, and people lose the ability to drive properly (so it seems). For a lot of people, whose job it is to write reports and dont need to interact with customers, they can usually work from home during these periods where it would probably cause delays to actually come into work, or it would be deemed dangerous.

In canada, obviously your snow is a lot worse than ours, but if videos on youtube are anything to go by, or the stories I read on reddit, then it would seem people just sorta carry on as normal? Is this the case, or is it similar to the above where people work remotely instead and only come in when absolutely necessary?
Old Feb 28th 2018, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snow etc

Unless in Vancouver the rest of Canada mostly carries on with life in most snow situations.

Vancouver due to mild climate turns into a wild circus when it snows and there is generally traffic isssues and transit delays and trains delayed due to the snow.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 4:47 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, people pretty much just carry on as normal. The thing to remember is that the majority of Canada that usually gets snow, has done so for a very long time, so the infrastructure is in place to deal with it. That's one of the big differences between here and the UK. Snow is possible, but not in massive amounts, and so the infrastructure of plows and such isn't really in place to deal with it

In addition, people - in theory - know how to drive in snow, and likely even have snow tyres fitted, so you're not completely all over the place. Again in the UK, I'd say very few people would have snow tires fitted

One thing I find interesting is Buffalo vs Toronto when it comes to snow. The speed at which things get plowed is considerably better than in Toronto / GTA. I've driven down from Oakville after a heavy snowfall, the same weather system also hit Buffalo, and the roads were very poorly plowed. Once I'm over the border, things improve dramatically. This also includes residential streets, without bus routes or anything special on them, getting plowed very quickly.
I also noticed that because of this, a lot of the cars aren't running snow tyres, as things generally get cleaned up pretty quickly.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 5:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there's efficient ploughing in Canada but most weeks with snow I see a vehicle in the ditch. Life does not so much carry on as normal as disruptions are accepted as being usual. The thresholds for weather are:

- school buses cancelled
- schools closed
- snow ploughs pulled
- roads closed

The incidence of these should be available if you know the location of interest.

We don't have school aged children and so carry on regardless. Here I suppose there are a couple of dozen days per winter with no school buses, a dozen with school closures and half a dozen with no ploughs. There's very little difference between no ploughs and road closure; the ploughs are pulled when the drivers can't see, the roads don't stay open long after that so you have to steer around barriers.

I expect to lose a day's work due to weather through the winter, either because of blowing snow making it seem to dangerous to go out or because the road hasn't been ploughed and it's not feasible to get out.

This is a picture of our driveway in winter. I routinely clear that much snow so we can go to work.
Attached Thumbnails Snow etc-stuck_truck.jpg  
Old Feb 28th 2018, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmynoshoes
This one got me curious, I expect it's been answered before, I did search snow but couldnt see anything immediate that answered the below.

So over here, a snowflake causes the majority of public transport to stop, and people lose the ability to drive properly (so it seems). For a lot of people, whose job it is to write reports and dont need to interact with customers, they can usually work from home during these periods where it would probably cause delays to actually come into work, or it would be deemed dangerous.

In canada, obviously your snow is a lot worse than ours, but if videos on youtube are anything to go by, or the stories I read on reddit, then it would seem people just sorta carry on as normal? Is this the case, or is it similar to the above where people work remotely instead and only come in when absolutely necessary?
Pretty much what dbd33 said. We arrived in Ottawa in early November 2017 and as regards snow:

1. Up to you, but we opted to buy an AWD car (Nissan Murano) as our practical 'go anywhere' car AND made sure we had a second set of rims with winter tire (forget about 'all season' IMHO). You of course MUST use proper sub-zero screen wash and keep it topped up. They salt the roads all the time and you get a lot of salt and muck on your screen and car. Oh, and get yourself a kit for the car - first aid, collapsible snow shovel, blankets etc. Not critical if you are in the city, but stray outside that and it is a good idea!

2. Bought a snowblower for the drive. Some people here simply retain a snowblowing service who will do your drive every time there is an appreciable amount of snow for a price. Generally, the roads themselves will be snow-plowed, but your drive is your problem. Get some snow shovels for a light dusting and buy salt or grit for your own drive and pathway

3. Yep, people carry on as normal. Hunker down in a blizzard if they are smart and avoid going out in freezing rain!

4. Bigger problem than snow is freezing rain, which you can get when temps yo-yo between +2 and -7 etc. That stuff can be lethal, avoid going out on that for sure.

But in general, yes, the country is much better equipped and get on with it.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 5:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
This is a picture of our driveway in winter. I routinely clear that much snow so we can go to work.
Whose footprints?

Or was that as far as you could get and you walked the rest?
Old Feb 28th 2018, 6:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Whose footprints?

Or was that as far as you could get and you walked the rest?
That was as far as it went, after that it was Shanks' pony.

It was a rental Chevy. 4x4 but useless. I was going to dig it out but a passer-by in a Dodge (also a bit rubbish but on the tarmac) stopped and tugged it out.

I completely disagree, btw, that one should buy a 4x4 minivan. That's neither fish nor fowl, you can't use it in fields and it's not needed on roads. An ordinary FWD minivan also fits numerous kids and dogs and has fewer bits to go wrong.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies all. Nice to know that things generally carry on as normal over there, even with public transport.

Are employers somewhat more lenient in the snowy periods for people being late to work due to transport issues? Over here, my partners now been told not to come into work due to the snow, and to work from home instead. Most of the employees were an hour or 2 late coming in as well today.

When we do eventually go, we'll initially be relying on public transport for a good few months.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Feb 28th 2018 at 7:55 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 8:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... When we do eventually go, we'll initially be relying on public transport for a good few months.
Where (city, province) are you planning on living when you're "relying" on public transport?
Old Feb 28th 2018, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies all. Nice to know that things generally carry on as normal over there, even with public transport.

Are employers somewhat more lenient in the snowy periods for people being late to work due to transport issues? Over here, my partners now been told not to come into work due to the snow, and to work from home instead. Most of the employees were an hour or 2 late coming in as well today.

When we do eventually go, we'll initially be relying on public transport for a good few months.

Depends on who the employer is ......

........ but basically the onus is on you to leave home early enough that you will not be too late for work.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scilly
Depends on who the employer is ......

........ but basically the onus is on you to leave home early enough that you will not be too late for work.
Similar to here then. Thanks for confirming. We weren't sure how things were done over there in relation to weather stuff.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Where (city, province) are you planning on living when you're "relying" on public transport?
All being well, Ontario. We aren't sure which part yet so more research to be done there.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Most employers in my experience have been understanding, at least in Vancouver.

Last snow storm last week, my shift started at 12, I left at 10:30 to give myself extra time, I only live 14km from work, usually takes 30 mins, but I didn't get to work until 1pm due to the traffic and roads being closed.

Those who I work with who take the train were also late due to the train being down for a bit due to snow or ice on the tracks causing an issue.

Sometimes it's simply not avoidable being late when it snows, no way to predict if the trains will stop, or how late buses are running, or where accidents will shut down roads.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 28th 2018 at 10:03 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 9:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Last snow storm last week, my shit started at 12...
That was some scary snow.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Similar to here then. Thanks for confirming. We weren't sure how things were done over there in relation to weather stuff.

All being well, Ontario. We aren't sure which part yet so more research to be done there.
Big ranges in Ontario....basically south of hwy 401 west of about Kingston, snow is a pain for most people and they try and pretend it doesn't exist. North and east of that line, more people cross country ski, snowmobile, and try and acknowledge that winter exists. There is no requirement for winter tyres (or block heaters for that matter ) but I think areas like Windsor get about 100 cm/snow a winter and areas like Owen Sound get 300 + cm of snow.

In Quebec it is manadatory to have snow tyres from mid december to mid march.

In Ontario, I've never known a hire car to have them...just something to keep in mind.

As per other posts, freezing rain is the worst and serves no purpose.

This may help.

Province of Ontario Canada Annual City Climate Statistics, with Yearly Average Temperatures, & Rainfall for Ontario Cities
Old Feb 28th 2018, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Big ranges in Ontario....basically south of hwy 401 west of about Kingston, snow is a pain for most people and they try and pretend it doesn't exist. North and east of that line, more people cross country ski, snowmobile, and try and acknowledge that winter exists. There is no requirement for winter tyres (or block heaters for that matter ) but I think areas like Windsor get about 100 cm/snow a winter and areas like Owen Sound get 300 + cm of snow.

In Quebec it is manadatory to have snow tyres from mid december to mid march.

In Ontario, I've never known a hire car to have them...just something to keep in mind.

As per other posts, freezing rain is the worst and serves no purpose.

This may help.

Province of Ontario Canada Annual City Climate Statistics, with Yearly Average Temperatures, & Rainfall for Ontario Cities
It is possible to get a hire car with winter tyres. OH was sent to work 500km from home, his plan was to come back every weekend (so 1000 km per weekend round trip). I insisted that the car had to have winters and as he hired from them for 18 months they agreed. When the seasons changed he just switched cars rather than tyres, he got a different car the second winter so they must have had at least two equipped for winter driving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.